Possible end to all pro drag/road racing in OUR country!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible end to all pro drag/road racing in OUR country!

Possible end to all pro drag/road racing in OUR country!

Please have all friends and family read and sign - link below

Racers, it seems the sky is truly falling. The Government of Canada is planning to implement a total and permanent ban on the use of leaded fuels for competition purposes, effective January 1st, 2009.
    If this happens, Professional Drag Racing in Canada is over. Immediately, completely and forever. This isn’t the same as the challenges we’ve faced in the past. This time, they’re dropping the ‘Big One’.
    No Pro Mod, No Pro Stock, No Top Fuel or Nitro Funny Car and no American competitors in any of our sportsman classes. Only Alcohol Funny Cars would remain unscathed.
    Although many Canadian sportsman competitors run their cars effectively on unleaded racing fuel or methanol, any of our competitors using leaded fuel have two choices. Change or quit.

The legislation arrived in our office last week. We took the time to read the document from start to finish to make sure we weren’t overreacting. Then we talked to fuel suppliers, the IHRA and local politicians, including London’s Bud Polhill; a long-time drag racing advocate in the Canadian fuel wars.
    What makes this bill viciously unfair is, they indicate that there may be increased health risks associated with leaded fuels than previously thought, and are advocating this change without any actual testing or proof. The US, Britain and Australia must not put much faith in this new information as they have no changes planned in their Leaded fuel for competition vehicles policies at volumes 10 to 100 times the annual Cdn volume. Also the passing of this bill does not eliminate leaded fuel, it only eliminates our portion, which is 1.5% of the leaded fuel consumed in Canada (these are the Govt’s own numbers right in the report – see Industry profile) the remaining 98.5% is used as aviation fuel and they have been given a permanent exemption. (this includes private pleasure planes, etc.)Bottom line, it’s as bad as it seems. The Canadian Government are legislating Canada’s largest racing facilities out of business. The document can be found on the Government of Canada website, under Canada Gazette Part 1, Dec. 22, 2007.
    The link to the document is: http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partI/2007/20071222/html/regle1-e.html

If you’re passionate about our sport, I can only beg you to call, write and email every politician you can think of, and let them know how you feel about your sport being forced out of existence.YOU NEED TO DO THIS ASAP AS THE COMMENT PERIOD FOR THIS ACTION CLOSES ON FEB 13th , 2008 and it will then be scheduled for a vote. Make sure the companies that tailor their businesses around the performance industry know as well. They’ve got a big stake in this too.

This is the link that takes you to the current Members of Parliament.
    http://webinfo.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx?TimePeriod=Current&Language=E
    On the left side of the page, you will see a text box labeled; Quick Search. Type in the name of your City or County to go to your local representative.

Some of Canada’s smaller tracks may in fact survive, as their facilities are geared toward handling smaller events, slower cars and fewer spectators. Canada’s Super-Tracks, that have invested millions and continue to invest in their facilities on a yearly basis, like Castrol Raceway and Grand Bend Motorplex will, in all likelihood, cease to be. Picture the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, without the Maple Leafs and the Raptors.

You know, it’s funny. No matter how many storms you weather, you never really believe that ‘one big wave’ is going to hit, until you’re already upside down in the freezing water.

To all the Drag racing competitors, crew and fans; thank you for your support and let’s have a great year of racing in 2008. It may very well be our last

http://www.petitiononline.com/Snakepit/petition.html

thanks for everyones time..

Re: Possible end to all pro drag/road racing in OUR country!

It seems to me like the drag racers had 18 years to adapt. The fact that the US decided not to switch over to unleaded fuel is really not the Canadian government's fault. And you mention the fact that aviation fuels are under a permanent ban which could be unfair, but let's look at it from another perspective.

Planes taxi, take off and land in a relatively short period of time, and airport runways are far removed from people. When they fly, the led is dispersed high in the atmosphere, so none of it reaches the ground. On the other hand, dragsters run their engines in close proximity of people and for long periods of time.

Lead has historically been added to gasoline to prevent engine damage due to the auto-ignition of gasoline (or knocking). Over the past decades, awareness of the human and environmental health impacts of lead has motivated actions to reduce the emission of lead from many sources, including gasoline. When they came into force in 1990, the Gasoline Regulations (hereinafter referred to as the "Regulations") prohibited the production, import and sale of leaded gasoline, with exemptions provided for leaded gasoline used in aircraft, farm machinery, boats and trucks over 3 856 kg. The Regulations were amended in 1994 to add a two-and-a-half year exemption for leaded gasoline imported, produced or sold for use in competition vehicles. (see footnote 1)

The 1994 amendments were made in response to evidence of the adverse economic impacts of the Regulations on the activities of some race tracks and communities. In 1993, cancellation of a large racing event at a Quebec race track resulted in significant adverse economic impacts for the facility and local community. The amendments provided the industry with an exemption period to ease the transition to unleaded gasoline or other alternatives, taking into account claims by international race sanctioning bodies indicating that they would convert to unleaded gasoline within two to three years.

The competition vehicle exemption has been extended on three occasions since 1994: in 1997, 1998 and 2003. On all three occasions, there has been a consistent message from industry: a broad transition to non-leaded fuels had not occurred, and expiry of the exemption would have a significant, negative impact on the industry, related businesses and local communities.

In 2003, the exemption was extended until January 1, 2008, based on a revised lead exposure assessment showing that intake levels at and in the vicinity of race tracks were within the World Health Organization (WHO) recommended Provisional Tolerable Weekly Intake (PTWI) for lead. The exemption was limited to five years due to increases in leaded gasoline imports in preceding years, and ongoing concerns regarding lead toxicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Muchacho View Post
    well you best give up riding then cause the bikes we ride aren't earth friendly bud.

Mine is, 2L per 100 km

It is a 50cc Aprilia SR50 Ditech - with fuel injection.

But to stay on point, it doesn't run on leaded gasoline which it what this law is trying to get rid of.

This is not news. The ban was in '98...we just got a 10 year extension... that is coming to an end.

For 4 strokes this ain't a problem. Two strokes will run C8 or C12.

We run a 13 to 1 Commando on unleaded, and a 500 cubic inch wedge motor at 12.5 to 1 on unleaded. No problems.
    On some motors you get MORE HP from unleaded.
    All motors will run unleaded... yes some will need modification. If you think you need leaded fuel I suggest you rethink your squish.

What is the problem? There isn't that many running leaded fuel now.

From the poking around that I've done, there does not appear to be any great technical obstacle to running racing engines of any type on unleaded; there might in some cases be a loss of power but it'll be the same for everyone. The big problem seems to be that certain racing organizations have technical requirements for their fuel, which essentially require them to use leaded fuel because that's the type of fuel that passes the fuel check! It's not a technical obstacle as far as the engine is concerned. This is the racing organization's problem, not the government.

Rather than lobbying the government to further postpone this ("You've already had 10 years, you've done nothing. How is this our problem?" will be their response), lobby the affected racing organizations (mostly American) to at least allow the use of unleaded fuels!

This is not the end of the world ... it's certain racing organizations that have done nothing despite having 10 years to do something about it. NASCAR has switched to unleaded fuel a couple years ago, for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by croco View Post
    It seems to me like the drag racers had 18 years to adapt. The fact that the US decided not to switch over to unleaded fuel is really not the Canadian government's fault. And you mention the fact that aviation fuels are under a permanent ban which could be unfair, but let's look at it from another perspective.

Planes taxi, take off and land in a relatively short period of time, and airport runways are far removed from people. When they fly, the led is dispersed high in the atmosphere, so none of it reaches the ground. On the other hand, dragsters run their engines in close proximity of people and for long periods of time.
    Eventually the lead makes it where you don't want it, whether it was disbursed in the upper atmosphere, or on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    From the poking around that I've done, there does not appear to be any great technical obstacle to running racing engines of any type on unleaded; there might in some cases be a loss of power but it'll be the same for everyone. The big problem seems to be that certain racing organizations have technical requirements for their fuel, which essentially require them to use leaded fuel because that's the type of fuel that passes the fuel check! It's not a technical obstacle as far as the engine is concerned. This is the racing organization's problem, not the government.

Rather than lobbying the government to further postpone this ("You've already had 10 years, you've done nothing. How is this our problem?" will be their response), lobby the affected racing organizations (mostly American) to at least allow the use of unleaded fuels!

This is not the end of the world ... it's certain racing organizations that have done nothing despite having 10 years to do something about it. NASCAR has switched to unleaded fuel a couple years ago, for what it's worth.
    There are more than a few 125GP riders in North America who run unleaded fuel, but remain competitive with the ones still running leaded. They're pushing over 40HP at the rear wheel. Those little bikes are plenty sensitive to horsepower loss in racing.

What I do object to is that the change to unleaded fuel replaced a toxin (heavy metal - lead) with carcinogens (benzene and toluene).
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Eventually the lead makes it where you don't want it, whether it was disbursed in the upper atmosphere, or on the ground.
    But it's all in the concentration. By the time lead from planes makes it to the ground it is in such small quantities that it might not even be detectable. I do agree though that in a perfect world we wouldn't use any leaded fuels. However, in piston engine aircraft they simply HAVE to use them because of the dangers of predetonation.

Wankel engine aircraft are a solution, but even though the design is very old, until fairly recently they haven't gained traction. So it will take a long time for leaded fuels to be safely removed from aviation...

Quote Originally Posted by croco View Post
    ...On the other hand, dragsters run their engines in close proximity of people and for long periods of time.
    like, 5-10 seconds a run, they do maybe 5 runs a day, one airplane taking off equals all dragsters in canada over a period of 10 years probably.
    99 Busa, 159rwhp/97rwtq, 10.1@142mph ( old time, with 153hp )

Quote Originally Posted by CopMagnet5oh View Post
    like, 5-10 seconds a run, they do maybe 5 runs a day, one airplane taking off equals all dragsters in canada over a period of 10 years probably.
    You have no idea what you're talking about, do you? Hint: Leaded fuels are used in small planes, NOT in large passenger jet planes.
    Last edited by croco; 01-26-2008 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muchacho View Post

Heheh nice. I agree.
    If you try to make it idiot-proof, someone will just make a better idiot....

I wonder what kind of whining we'll hear one day when all internal combustion engines are banned, period?

Probably the same will happen as when people were switching from typewriters to computer terminals. Almost everyone ******* and moaned like crazy for about a week, but eventually learned to accept and even appreciate progress. Those that didn't went the way of the Dodo.

Start getting used to the idea of racing/driving/commuting in an electric/hydrogen/alcohol/other_than_gasoline_or_diesel vehicle and maybe it won't be such a shock by the time it becomes reality. If you think you cannot live without loud, smelly and poisonous engines live your dream as much as you can now because your days are numbered.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    I wonder what kind of whining we'll hear one day when all internal combustion engines are banned, period?

Probably the same will happen as when people were switching from typewriters to computer terminals. Almost everyone ******* and moaned like crazy for about a week, but eventually learned to accept and even appreciate progress. Those that didn't went the way of the Dodo.

Start getting used to the idea of racing/driving/commuting in an electric/hydrogen/alcohol/other_than_gasoline_or_diesel vehicle and maybe it won't be such a shock by the time it becomes reality. If you think you cannot live without loud, smelly and poisonous engines live your dream as much as you can now because your days are numbered.
    yes...nice analogy......let me take a second to walk my 1968 $3 typewriter to the curb.....unfortunately there's no room for it.....cause my $100,000 show car is still parked there cause the garbage men can't lift it into the truck

Quote Originally Posted by 82Seca750 View Post
    yes...nice analogy......let me take a second to walk my 1968 $3 typewriter to the curb.....unfortunately there's no room for it.....cause my $100,000 show car is still parked there cause the garbage men can't lift it into the truck
    Two kids are on a school visit to the museum of modern art in NY. One is about 15, the other one 10. They are standing in front of this display:

The younger one is totally puzzled and asks: "What is this!?"

The older kid takes a good look, scratches his head and says: "Dunno, pro'lly a real-time printer..."

Now just imagine the same two kids fifty years from now looking at a 2008 GSXR, let alone dragsters and other oddities this thread is concerned about . Dinosaurs will probably make more sense .

BTW, this photo was taken at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. The very same model whose daily rattle I grew up with in the seventies.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by 82Seca750 View Post
    Well, Vlad does have a point though. There are still people using typewriters, just like there still are horse drawn carriages, steam engines, etc, but they make up such a minuscule percentage of the general population that they really don't matter.

The same will happen to the internal combustion engines in cars and motorcycles. In probably 50-100 years the internal combustion engine will disappear from general use and will only be found in show and museum cars.

What The F!!ck Nowww!!! F!!ckoff With The Damn Enviroment!! I Want My F!!cking Air Dirty!!! Thats It!!, Im Goin Out + 50 For A Pack Of Fags!! Kee Ryste!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post

wouldn't hydrogen fuel still be used as a source of fuel in a internal combustion engine?

Actually I think our government will try to ban the best solution to the future automobile. Has anyone read the article on TATA Motors and the Formula One engineer Guy Nègre from Luxembourg-based MDI? They are releasing the first zero emission vehicle that runs on compressed air. The thing has a 200 km range and can be air recharged in 5 hours at a standard house plug outlet or recharged at a proposed air pressure station for $2.00 a fill up. I wonder what the government will find to scam us, maybe an air tax? France has their air cars coming out in the beginning of 2009 and eventually all of Europe will go this route sooner than you think.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...s/4217016.html

http://www.npr.org/blogs/bryantpark/...a_for_now.html

I am acutally prepared to purchase one and import into CANADA myself just to piss off every car manufacturer, oil company and government official. Heck if you look how the body of the vehicle is made with composites, the damn thing will not even rust. There ya go.
    Last edited by retsoobretsoob1; 01-27-2008 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baked View Post
    wouldn't hydrogen fuel still be used as a source of fuel in a internal combustion engine?
    Hydrogen is not "leaded" - now get back to your original point.