New Defense for Tickets: "No hablo Ingles, Senor" - Page 10

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: New Defense for Tickets: "No hablo Ingles, Senor"

Re: New Defense for Tickets: "No hablo Ingles, Senor"

Quote Originally Posted by donut View Post
    i called you a retard and rebutted against your argument that i thought was utterly moronic. (not calling him names, just stating what i thought.... feel free to disagree)

i think the rebuttal was something along the lines of:

why cant people see that being "pro canadian" is not the same as being "anti-immigrant" and that you clearly failed to make said distinction. the people that feed the need for PCness are the same ones that cant make that distinction. for some reason discrimination seems to be ok when its against someone who was born here and has a firm grasp on the english language (and a working knowledge of french) but heaven forbid someone discriminate against a visual minority.

how hard would it be to have both english and chinese or vietnamese on the same menu? (just one particular example). not printing it in english, to me, shows a lack of respect for the country that has so graciously welcomed you to it.

you stated, seeming in agreement with me albeit in a tone that i believe was facetious, that we should institute language laws just like Quebec. How on earth did you make the leap from the inclusion of english to the exclusion of all languages but? my only theory is that what i've already stated, you seem to equate any "pro-canadian" attitude to an "anti-immigrant" attitude.

objectively read what i've written and tell me if i've made any statements that were unjustified based on what statements that you and other like-minded individuals have already made in this thread.
    Hey Donut - My point about having language laws like Quebec was in jest. I don't believe we should have any laws like that anywhere in Canada. I believe that as a restaurant owner, I should have the freedom to have the type of menu I want (It would be fine Scottish fare, full of haggis and tatties and neaps and lots and lots of single matst and my menu would be entirely in Gaelic), without government telling me what I should have. You have the freedom to not dine in my restaurant if you don't like the way I do business, this is my point. If my business pratices are bad, then maybe I will go out of business.
    You may call this PC if you like, but I like to believe (naively maybe) that people should have this type of freedom. You don't have to eat where you don't want to and I shouldn't have to conform to any cultural standards imposed on me.

Maybe I do feel that your views are rascist based on this, maybe I don't. What should you care really? You have the freedom to feel people should conform to your idea of Canadian identity and I feel people have the right to live the way they want. "Canadian Identity" has as many definitions as there are people in Canada, so who has the right one?

Arrogance is stating that I have the right definition and people need to conform to my ideas.

Angus.
    Last edited by Angus Argyle; 01-31-2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: More to add
    "The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites."

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Singh View Post
    Go where I go... A classy place with pictures on the menu!
    so what.. now you're saying immigrants can't read.. they need pictures...

donut

Quote Originally Posted by Angus Argyle View Post
    Arrogance is stating that I have the right definition and people need to conform to my ideas.

Angus.
    I was about to agree with what you'd written post scriptum but then you went and deleted it.

Oh well.

What if i wanted to come to your restaurant but found it difficult to do so because i dont understand the menu. you're ok with having people not come just for that reason?

If that is what arrogance is, then what is feeling that i have the right definition and ppl need to respect my ideals?

Quote Originally Posted by donut View Post
    I was about to agree with what you'd written post scriptum but then you went and deleted it.

Oh well.

1 - What if i wanted to come to your restaurant but found it difficult to do so because i dont understand the menu. you're ok with having people not come just for that reason?

2 - If that is what arrogance is, then what is feeling that i have the right definition and ppl need to respect my ideals?
    1 - Yes, I would be ok with people leaving my restaurant. If they don't like the business I do, oh well. Of course, I wouldn't run a business like that. I would want to make as much money as possible, so I would run it that way. Most people speak english, so my menu would be in english.

2 - You have to realize that maybe your definition is wrong so people don't "need' to respect your ideals. Why do you need people to respect your ideals? I believe it is arrogant to think my own ideals need to be respected.

Oh and I am offended that you called me a retard.
    "The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites."

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
    so what.. now you're saying immigrants can't read.. they need pictures...
    No not at all. I go to a Chinese restaurant, where the entire menu is in Cantonese... But they have pictures next to each item. I order without an issue.

I was responding to a post that was upset with ethnic restaurants for not having English on their menu's.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Singh View Post
    No not at all. I go to a Chinese restaurant, where the entire menu is in Cantonese... But they have pictures next to each item. I order without an issue.

I was responding to a post that was upset with ethnic restaurants for not having English on their menu's.

so chinese can't read... thats what you're saying..

racist!!!!!!!

im only kidding man...

Aren't we all human being on a planet called Earth.

WOW there are some definite opinions on this thread.

First I'm a brown guy not born in Canada, but my first language is English. When I was younger I used to think all people should learn English when they come to this country. I have changed my opinion.

I took French throughout school like the rest of you and I still cannot speak nor understand the French langauge. So now put yourself in the shoes of a 30-50 year old trying to learn English( while trying to eek out a living in a totally new country) which by the way is one of the hardest languages to grasp..as we can see by some of the posts here some people cannot spell and/or their grammer is bad (I'm including myself) and you guys speak English.

I cannot blame people for not learning English for the above reason, don't forget about the Italians, Portguguese, Germans etc that have come to our great country over the years most of the first generation immigrants never learnt to speak English. They all moved into areas together hence little Italy etc.

I do agree that all signs, menus and displays should be in English as we do live in an English speaking country. Do not let any criminals in our country, if you are convicted of a serious crime and you are not a citizen deport them. Allow people to practice their own beliefs, but do not change the way other peoples beliefs ie: Christmas I celebrate Christmas and for the Goverment to tell me I have to say Holiday tree instead of Christmas tree is ludicrous.

Now to address the original post: I agree with Rob, fight your ticket legally. I personally pay my tickets if I did something wrong, but if I felt that I was not wrong then I would fight it in anyway I could within the legal system.
    Not speaking English is not an excuse to break the law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by obr44 View Post

First I'm a brown guy not born in Canada, but my first language is English. When I was younger I used to think all people should learn English when they come to this country. I have changed my opinion.

I took French throughout school like the rest of you and I still cannot speak nor understand the French langauge. So now put yourself in the shoes of a 30-50 year old trying to learn English( while trying to eek out a living in a totally new country) which by the way is one of the hardest languages to grasp..as we can see by some of the posts here some people cannot spell and/or their grammer is bad (I'm including myself) and you guys speak English.

I cannot blame people for not learning English for the above reason, don't forget about the Italians, Portguguese, Germans etc that have come to our great country over the years most of the first generation immigrants never learnt to speak English. They all moved into areas together hence little Italy etc.

I do agree that all signs, menus and displays should be in English as we do live in an English speaking country. Do not let any criminals in our country, if you are convicted of a serious crime and you are not a citizen deport them. Allow people to practice their own beliefs, but do not change the way other peoples beliefs ie: Christmas I celebrate Christmas and for the Goverment to tell me I have to say Holiday tree instead of Christmas tree is ludicrous.

Now to address the original post: I agree with Rob, fight your ticket legally. I personally pay my tickets if I did something wrong, but if I felt that I was not wrong then I would fight it in anyway I could within the legal system.
    very well said...
    agree completely with you, except for the end..lol.. if i can get off a ticket on a tech. Im going to exploit it to the fullest

Quote Originally Posted by obr44 View Post

Most first generation european immigrants LEARNED the language, why? because our society didn't tolerate it back then. My grandfather is Italian, he worked construction if you couldn't understand what they were saying or you didn't learn quick you were out of a job.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Rocketfella

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    Its this countries own fault. They encourage people to keep their native cultures so much so that there is no pressure to learn English. Most people who come here settle in communities own their own people and can go years without ever having to speak or learn English. If you walk through Chinatown most of the signs contain no English whatsoever so why would many new immigrants feel the need to learn English.
    hmmm...as far as I can tell most of the signs in China Town are bilingual and most of the restaurant menu have at least three languages (English being one of them). I don't read Chinese and I don't recall ever having any problem with signs in China Town. Interesting enough when I am in College Street I don't ever see English translated signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketfella View Post
    hmmm...as far as I can tell most of the signs in China Town are bilingual and most of the restaurant menu have at least three languages (English being one of them). I don't read Chinese and I don't recall ever having any problem with signs in China Town. Interesting enough when I am in College Street I don't ever see English translated signs.
    we must be looking a different Chinatowns then. Walking between McCaul and Spadina I don't see much English on signs. What part of College street are you talking? your probably absolutely right I was just using chinatown as one example of many in the city.