new rider in ajax

Thread: new rider in ajax

new rider in ajax

Hi all, im new to the bike scene ( a 49cc moped doesnt count ). I'm looking to buy a 600~cc bike, something to commute with and got a deal pending on a sv650s. Problem is I dont have my license yet and I even if I did its too bloody cold to drive one. Does anyone know a cheap and secure way to transport a 400lb bike 50-60kms? I've got several quotes from tow companies but they are frigging sharks. lmk

menglor

Re: new rider in ajax

Quote Originally Posted by dhtmldude View Post
    Hi all, im new to the bike scene ( a 49cc moped doesnt count ). I'm looking to buy a 600~cc bike, something to commute with and got a deal pending on a sv650s. Problem is I dont have my license yet and I even if I did its too bloody cold to drive one. Does anyone know a cheap and secure way to transport a 400lb bike 50-60kms? I've got several quotes from tow companies but they are frigging sharks. lmk

U-haul or Uhaul trailer (if you have a hitch)

or

Rental van

I believe U-haul only charges 20$ plus the cost of fuel? but you would need to check into that.

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by menglor View Post
    U-haul or Uhaul trailer (if you have a hitch)

or

Rental van

I believe U-haul only charges 20$ plus the cost of fuel? but you would need to check into that.
    i thought of that too, but its pretty heavy, i couldnt even lift the front wheel. and if i rig a ramp, it could fall off it. and once its in the van? how do i secure it? have you done this before or is it just a suggestion.

menglor

I live in ottawa and bought my bike in Kingston, I got a truck much like the Uhaul trucks, which come with a long ramp so, I could drive up it.

and they have slots in the wall for straps.

Canadian tire had something like this for like 9.99 last week

so you drive in, get close to the wall or center it. and just strap it in.

basically, from the sound of it all, the Uhaul makes the most sense.

Last edited by menglor; 01-20-2008 at 09:08 PM.

Moderator Moderator TheGradyTrain's Avatar

Welcome to the board. Send Infernobuster a PM regarding your transport needs. He may be able to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGradyTrain View Post
    Welcome to the board. Send Infernobuster a PM regarding your transport needs. He may be able to help out.
    Welcome to the board ... and yes ... drop me a line on when/where/ what you want picked up/dropped off ..

I'm sure i can help you out .. im a little busy with 3 bikes this week, but im sure i can fit something in.

Quote Originally Posted by infernobuster View Post
    Welcome to the board ... and yes ... drop me a line on when/where/ what you want picked up/dropped off ..

I'm sure i can help you out .. im a little busy with 3 bikes this week, but im sure i can fit something in.

awesome, ill give you at least a days notice. the bike deal isnt firm yet, but im hoping it will be soon.

You could always buy my bike instead and i'll deliver it to your door lol...if youve never moved a bike befor dnt start alone...get some help...any van or truck wil do or minivan even....

Quote Originally Posted by infernobuster View Post

Thanks very much for your service, very professional. I highly recommend to anyone wanting to move a bike.

See you in the spring if not sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by dhtmldude View Post
    Thanks very much for your service, very professional. I highly recommend to anyone wanting to move a bike.

See you in the spring if not sooner.
    Thanks .. Enjoy the bike!

Go to Craigslist (Toronto) and under the motorcycle link there is posting titled Motorcycle Transport offered. Send an email to the person and see the price offered.

BTW, I have twice moved motorcycles via U-Haul truck for around $150.00 (truck rental fee plus kms. cost). One bike was a V Star 1100 and the other a Suzuki Bandit 1200 and was fairly simple. Just need one friend to help. The tie down straps are a must.

Welcome and see you on the road when the white stuff is gone.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by IXFe View Post
    good to know.
    i got a quote from a tow co. ... 130km .. an even $500 (tax.incl).
    "ONE WAY" .... i'm not sure if the fineprint states I have to pay for his return-trip to his starting point.
    CASH discuount available, though.

sounds like CAA or gents like infernobuster may be a more economical option to get the same task complete in a same and timely manner.

Sure .. if your bike needs a ride somewhere .. drop me a line.

Welcome to the board. Van is the best solution for a below freezing line
    anyone can hurt a fighter not everyone will get a chance to excuse

Passed my M1 today! Only missed 3 questions one of which was what distance to not pass before a Xwalk, 30/60/90 meters before. I chose 90 to be safe but its actually 30. Another one was why to keep feet on pegs, I said to have access to controls (brake/gears) but its actually to retain balance, go figure.

Too bad its snowing out today, but warmer weather is just ahead...