Thread: 14 months from offense to trial

14 months from offense to trial

Got ticketted 3 times on October 28th. 2007

Trial date:

DECEMBER 18th 2008!!! that's ridiculous

I'll let you guys know how my 11b defense goes
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Re: 14 months from offense to trial

Over 12 months, theres a way you can have your case thrown out

Quote Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
    ya i'm going to file an 11b I just didnt' realise the GTA was that backlogged

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Don't file until you're a couple of months away from trial. Until you've had your trial actually delayed, you haven't had your right to a trial in reasonable time abridged.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Don't file until you're a couple of months away from trial. Until you've had your trial actually delayed, you haven't had your right to a trial in reasonable time abridged.

Thanks Rob that's what I figured, I remember from law class until something has actually happened you cannot make motions.

OFAH member

Banned

prepare a secondary backup. there have been cases where jps have said that due to the backlog, 14 months is no longer grounds for 11b

It really depends on the JP. You have a good chance but some allow up to 15 months so don't count on it.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

I do have secondary plans, 2 of the tickets are bogus anyway and will be thrown out at court but going 3 for 3 would be better

OFAH member

damn, goodluck! let us know how it goes!

Try 23 months (ticket May 28, 2006, 3rd trial date April 24th).

First time adjourned for lack of disclosure, second time because the JP refused to entertain an 11b motion. And here's the kicker: I just received a notice of motion in the mail that my trial has to be adjourned YET AGAIN, because the "court is closed due to lack of judicial resources".

14 months should be enough for 11b. My backup plan would be to appeal if it's not accepted. If we allow the courts to set precedents and stretch the Charter as they see fit where it's going to end? If JP does not accept your 11b motion, regardless of whether you actually end up convicted or not, he is setting the precedent prosecutors can quote in future cases. Court backlog (or in some cases gross negligence, indolence and incompetence) should not be the reason to stretch the 11b limit set by case law. Ergo, fight it for your sake and sake of future accused. We should do whatever we can to lower the 11b threshold, not allow the crown to extend it.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

You would be well served if you could rationalize that a constitutional challenge to the crown's case based on section 11b of our constitution is not contingent on TIME.
    Never was...never will be.

Thanks guys, I definitely do my homework with these types of things and will represent myself well. When I was at the courts filing my three tickets I actually helped a few people with some things and got asked if I was a paralegal. You'd be surprised how oblivious people are to some basic legal rights.

OFAH member

File another 11b

Quote Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
    That's right, look up your rights, there's something about a right to fair and timely trial isn't there? Do your homework, say your prayers, bring a smile to an orphan, and you might just get lucky.

If you have any conditions, say something simple as acid reflux or heart burn, we wouldn't want to aggravate that for over a year's worth of stress, correct?

question, if u go in with a bunch of other cases with a similar time delay and use them as examples, would that work because you're proving presedence?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    That's right, look up your rights, there's something about a right to fair and timely trial isn't there? Do your homework, say your prayers, bring a smile to an orphan, and you might just get lucky.

If you have any conditions, say something simple as acid reflux or heart burn, we wouldn't want to aggravate that for over a year's worth of stress, correct?
    there is no set time limit for 11b.
    it is up to the JP. some have had tickets dropped @ 14 ,months, 16, 12, whatever.
    its not a complet defense. plus if you are the reason for a long wait (extensions etc) then it is less likely to work

but if you can get presidence and the judge blatantly dismisses this (you can get the court transcript) it makes for a good appeal

OFAH member

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    I do have secondary plans, 2 of the tickets are bogus anyway and will be thrown out at court but going 3 for 3 would be better
    Oh come on now, everyone knows they are ALL bogus.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeandapancake View Post
    Oh come on now, everyone knows they are ALL bogus.

well one is for having the wrong colour on my ownership even though my car is infact White, the officer thought it was grey....

the second is for not displaying a front plate, I hit a coyote the night before and had the plate on my windshield, there was significant front end damage to my bumper and no possible way to mount my plate, I was getting the car home from guelph to reattach everything, put it this way the license plate still had dry blood and a few coyote hairs on it but the cop wouldn't have any of it.

he writes the two tickets out and tells me if I bring them to court he'll drop them? WTF

OFAH member