Tire Advice and Suggestions

Thread: Tire Advice and Suggestions

Tire Advice and Suggestions

I'm looking to purchasing tires at the beginning of the season. I'm deciding between Pirelli Corsa 3, Mich Pilot 2ct or Dunlop Qualifers.

I want a tire that is good for normal riding conditions and a tire that is sticky enough when called upon. I mostly do 50% city and 50% (905 area) riding.

Pricing is not really an issue for me. Since its THE MOST IMPORTANT part of the motorcycle. Safty first boys.
    I just want real honest opinions on the tires and the performance of it. I do not really want to talk about pricing becasue that will bring this thread to a whole other direction.

Which tire do u like best?
    Last edited by TRIGGA; 01-15-2008 at 11:09 PM.

Re: Tire Advice and Suggestions

Pilot powers 2 ct's would be a good choice for you, if you ride city streets alot.
    Apparently they will give you more km's on the tires, due to the dual compounds.

or .. take the step down to the pilot powers .. both are excellent tires.

Unless you are planning to take your bike to the track, then I think these type of supersport tires are overkill for street riding. Yes they grip well but they don't last as long and they work best in the dry.

I recently changed over from some Diablo Corsas (rated 70% track/30% street) to regular Diablos (rated 30% track/70% street). Same profile, same tread pattern, better grip in the wet, last longer, cheaper, and absolutley no difference in grip at street legal speeds.

All the other vendors also offer great "sport" as opposed to "supersport/track" tires.

Just my 2c.

/rs
    2002 FZS1000

-------------
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

I prefer riding on scrubs, they are also cheaper but they warm up a lot faster and stick better due to their stickier compounds.

Check out riders choice.

They have sets of Metzeler M1's (120/180) for as little as $300.

Taxes might even be included in that price but call them to find out for sure.

Personally, I have used 4 sets and am satisfied at how well they hold up. They have been able to handle any and every situation I've been in. Took two trips to deals gap last summer and used the same set both times and rode at a "decent" pace without any issues.

Factor in price point and durability (which you stated you don't care about) and it's hard to beat 'em!

The new Pilot Road 2's are very appealing also, but a set approaches $500

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by rsilk View Post
    Unless you are planning to take your bike to the track, then I think these type of supersport tires are overkill for street riding. Yes they grip well but they don't last as long and they work best in the dry.

I recently changed over from some Diablo Corsas (rated 70% track/30% street) to regular Diablos (rated 30% track/70% street). Same profile, same tread pattern, better grip in the wet, last longer, cheaper, and absolutley no difference in grip at street legal speeds.

All the other vendors also offer great "sport" as opposed to "supersport/track" tires.

Just my 2c.

/rs
    if 12 k's isn't long enough for a set of tires for pilot powers then you're right.

i'm on my 3rd set now, the first 2 averaged 11 000 to 12 000 km's on them.

i will not go to another brand in the foreseeable future. they're just that good. i have a 2ct rear on the back for the 3rd set and it it looks like it's going to last even longer than the first 2 regular powers.

The corsa III's have a far wider dual compound layer than the 2ct's unless you scrub your chicken strips all to hell your wasting your money with either tire... 0.2c
    Never allow yourself to outrun your guardian angel

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    I prefer riding on pucks, they are cheaper and they warm up a lot longer and slip better due to their slipier compounds.

You need help...
    Never allow yourself to outrun your guardian angel

Quote Originally Posted by CROMAG View Post
    You need help...
    Yep, I'll be accepting your worn out tires as donations again this year Mr Strip.

^^^

Sean

2008 ZX10R

the corsa's are over kill...you don' need them on the street at all

Quote Originally Posted by rsilk View Post

/rs
    So you do the posted speed limits?
    The 2ct is the same compound in the middle as the Pilot power, so if you are doing the posted speed limits in the corners you will only be using the middle portion so your mileage will be the same as on the pilot power.

I've been using Metzeler M3's on my Busa this past season and love them.
    They grip way better than the M1's in the dry and have not had an issue with them in the rain (even standing water on the 400 by Barrie) although I did not push them in the wet.

I've got 12, 000 km on them right now. Front looks virtually newish, back looks like it may need replacing within 2000 to 5000 km (still lots of tread depth left). I've hit a lot of twisties this past summer, but also a lot of highway getting there and back, but the rear tire did not flatten significantly down the middle (on a busa).

I'm curious to know what the Diablo Corsa III's are like, but think that they may be overkill for the kind of riding i'm going to do (non-track, post-introduction of bill 203 era). Picked up another rear M3 for $230 at the Motorcycle Supershow.
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
    the corsa's are over kill...you don' need them on the street at all
    Not really sure how you can have too much grip?

Banned

I've tried just about all the big name tires over the years... on street and track. I've learned one thing: I can't tell a damn difference between any of them when it comes to traction... and I doubt most people can, even if they claim otherwise.

Get a good deal on Qualifiers, Corsa 3's or 2 CT''s, they'll all do the job better than most riders are capable

Sean

2008 ZX10R

Quote Originally Posted by ninja44 View Post
    Get a good deal on Qualifiers, Corsa 3's or 2 CT''s, they'll all do the job better than most riders are capable
    This is why they are overkill!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kramer View Post
    I've tried just about all the big name tires over the years... on street and track. I've learned one thing: I can't tell a damn difference between any of them when it comes to traction... and I doubt most people can, even if they claim otherwise.
    +1 except for when they are cold, they all warm up at their own pace and a smart rider will allow them to warm up before givin' 'er!

Cheers