Insuring a bike with no M Licence? Read more...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insuring a bike with no M Licence? Read more...

Stephanie_85

Insuring a bike with no M Licence? Read more...

Is it possible to insure a bike without an M license of any kind (ie; no M1, M2 or full M)??

You see, I have a pretty bad record (2 claimed auto accidents and 2 tickets - speeding in my cars) and all of my vehicles go under my parents name under their insurance because I am deemed "high-risk"

Now, I'm buying a bike - 2007 CBR600RR - which my father will have to insure under his name, however he doesn't own an M license of any sort... IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE? I haven't had the chance to call for quotes yet...
    Last edited by Stephanie_85; 01-13-2008 at 02:44 PM. Reason: .

Re: Insuring a bike with no M Licence? Read more...

I suggest you sit down when you call for an insurance quote, you'll be in for a surprise

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie_85 View Post
    Is it possible to insure a bike without an M license of any kind (ie; no M1, M2 or full M)??

You see, I have a pretty bad record (2 auto accidents - at fault but NOT really my fault - and about 3 tickets - speeding in my cars) and all of my vehicles go under my parents name under their insurance because I am deemed "high-risk"

Now, I'm buying a bike - 2007 CBR600RR - which my father will have to insure under his name, however he doesn't own an M license of any sort... IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE? I haven't had the chance to call for quotes yet...
    lol, no offence, but i dont think youre the type of person that should be on a bike... but, if you get one, the insurance will absolutely kill you, and to answer your question, no you cant be insured without a m/m1/m2, but an m1 can be obtained for $20 so its not a biggie...
    RR

Stephanie_85

first off, i KNOW my insurance will be a lot... that why im going to have my father insure the bike... that's why i ask if he can insure the bike without going for licensing...

secondly, you don't know the "kind of person" that I am to be making such a judgment.

All i can say is that being your first bike .. be careful and take it easy.
    Thats a pretty nimble bike for a beginner ...

As for insurance, im sure your dad has to hold at least his M1 to have insurance on that machine. If you DO get it under your fathers name for insurance, the figures shouldnt be that bad. Unless he has a bad driving record or such ..

You can't get around it. Even if your father got his m - when he calls to get insurance, they'll ask if there are any other m-licensed people in the household. He could lie and say no, then if something were to happen with you on the bike, you're screwed, he's screwed. If he says yes, then 'his' rates will go up astronomically due to your accident/ticket history.

Forget about the bike for a bit - drive safe and ticket free - clean up your insurance profile, then think about 2 wheels.

My $.02
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by klr_guy View Post
    You can't get around it. Even if your father got his m - when he calls to get insurance, they'll ask if there are any other m-licensed people in the household. He could lie and say no, then if something were to happen with you on the bike, you're screwed, he's screwed. If he says yes, then 'his' rates will go up astronomically due to your accident/ticket history.

Forget about the bike for a bit - drive safe and ticket free - clean up your insurance profile, then think about 2 wheels.

My $.02
    +1 .. good advice ..

Once the insurance company finds out that youll be riding it ... i could easily see insurance costs get close to 5 figures for a year.

Stephanie_85

Quote Originally Posted by infernobuster View Post
    All i can say is that being your first bike .. be careful and take it easy.
    Thats a pretty nimble bike for a beginner ...

As for insurance, im sure your dad has to hold at least his M1 to have insurance on that machine. If you DO get it under your fathers name for insurance, the figures shouldnt be that bad. Unless he has a bad driving record or such ..
    my dad's record is TOTALLY clean.

Stephanie_85

Quote Originally Posted by klr_guy View Post

My $.02
    i don't live with my father, we live in different households.

Stephanie_85

anyway, this wasn't a question of how im insuring the bike, if i should get one and how much it was gonna cost, those factors are not an option...

i just wanted to know whether or not my dad could insure the Double R without his M1, which i learned he cannot, so he will be getting his M1 soon, thank you for all your help, and not so much for the "kind" words.

Banned

unless you are looking for only fire + theft, you will not be able to get insurance under your dad.
    if you do end up getting insurance under your dad they will most likely charge for the higher risk rider, even if you're placed as secondary.
    third, i dont think you can be insured if you dont live together.
    this is a loophole. your dad can be the sole owner and insuree on the bike (hed have to get his license), and the you can borrow the bike as much as you want, however, this is misinformation and is technically illegal.

I did an insurance quote for me as a secondary rider under my step dad who is 38 with a clean record for i think a kat or fzr 600. with me being 16 it didnt even matter it was only like 50 bucks cheaper (and it was expensivee) so if your records that bad i dont think youll see much change.
    (both for m2 btw)

Stephanie_85

Quote Originally Posted by rukus View Post
    unless you are looking for only fire + theft, you will not be able to get insurance under your dad.
    if you do end up getting insurance under your dad they will most likely charge for the higher risk rider, even if you're placed as secondary.
    third, i dont think you can be insured if you dont live together.
    this is a loophole. your dad can be the sole owner and insuree on the bike (hed have to get his license), and the you can borrow the bike as much as you want, however, this is misinformation and is technically illegal.
    its actually not illegal at all... its like lending your vehicle to a friend for whatever reason and something happens to it (accident, theft, etc). the accident would be claimed under the owner's insurance, but the accident/accompanying tickets would be a ding against the driver at the time.

since i dont live with my dad, and the bike will be staying at his house, under his name, purchased (also) by him... its his bike, regardless of how often he rides and who else borrows the machine. (he will be getting his license this summer, by the way, just not as soon as im getting mine)

therefore, even tho i'll be riding it often, its still "his" and im still "borrowing" it in every means.

i have a friend with SEVERAL bikes, and my friends take them whenever they please... he insures them and owns them... but our friends have them all the time... that's not illegal... maybe not smart, but NOT illegal.
    Last edited by Stephanie_85; 01-13-2008 at 03:26 PM.

Banned

you never said your dad was getting his license.
    he owns & insures it, but never rides it, with you riding it all the time. if you get into a serious accident and it is found that he is not primary rider, and he only insures it for you to ride it, then it is misrepresentation, thus illegal.

thread of the week

the trick is not so much whether youll be able to get insurance. The trick is whether or not they will pay if you get in a serious accident. Anything short of full disclosure is an OUT for them.

boundless

its actually not illegal at all... its like lending your vehicle to a friend for whatever reason and something happens to it (accident, theft, etc). the accident would be claimed under the owner's insurance, but the accident/accompanying tickets would be a ding against the driver at the time.
    Technically it's not illegal - there's no law broken. BUT it will most likely be the reason to DENY coverage for when you have an accident since he'll be breaking the contract with the insurance company since he claims that no one will be riding the bike on a regular basis other than him. (Please note: you've stated that you'll be regularly riding the bike.)

Which basically comes down to you riding with no coverage.

So we're not trying to be a-holes here, but in fact trying to protect you in the long run.

Also I hope you do realize that when you get pulled over the insurance company will be notified - if something doesn't match, 99% of cops call in the insurance company during the stop to verify that you're listed as a valid driver of the bike. Of which you'll be logged as being a common driver.

Oh, and the same thing applies to your friend - It's all fine until someone needs to pay the hospital bill.

i just wanted to know whether or not my dad could insure the Double R without his M1, which i learned he cannot, so he will be getting his M1 soon, thank you for all your help, and not so much for the "kind" words.
    no need to get bitter....everyone who has responded has given nothing but good advice...yes some of it maybe things u don't want to hear...but all u should really take into consideration...u asked for advice and it was given
    *Sold* 2001 CBR600F4i - Streetfighter aka F4ighter
    *Sold* 1999 Pearl White CBR600F4

boundless

Quote Originally Posted by boundless View Post
    Technically it's not illegal - there's no law broken.
    I'm wrong on this! I happen to be just now reviewing my insurance for this year and came across this:

"It is an offense under the Insurance Act to knowingly make a false or misleading statement or representation to an Insurer in connection with the person's entitlement to a benefit under a contract of insurance, or to wilfully fail to inform the Insurer of a material change in circumstances within 14days, in connection with such entitlement.

The office is punishable on conviction by a maximum fine of $100,000 for the first offense and a maximum fine of $200,000 for any subsequent conviction."

So in fact, it is illegal to do what you want.

Banned

toldja so.

when is this gonna get moved to the downed riders section?