New "controversial" service warning gta about speed traps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New "controversial" service warning gta about speed traps

New "controversial" service warning gta about speed traps

well i found this video...its a company based out of quebec that will warn drivers through text msgs about speed traps...i guess the alternative to high beaming drivers?...discuss
    http://ca.yahoo.com/_ylh=X3oDMTFia2V...kZXg-/s/457300
    *Sold* 2001 CBR600F4i - Streetfighter aka F4ighter
    *Sold* 1999 Pearl White CBR600F4

Re: New "controversial" service warning gta about speed traps

Swell - more people checking text messages on their cell phones/crackberries while they're supposed to be focusing on driving
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Great. So you'll get nailed in a trap while using your cell phone to see if there's a trap.

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...f5d258&k=72278
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Great. So you'll get nailed in a trap while using your cell phone to see if there's a trap.

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...f5d258&k=72278
    on top of the fines and tickets...you also have to pay the company for their "services"
    *Sold* 2001 CBR600F4i - Streetfighter aka F4ighter
    *Sold* 1999 Pearl White CBR600F4

i would subscribe to something like that, if it was actually effective... if they gave u a heads up like a kilometer in advance, so you dont get booked right after you get the message...
    RR

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...0ccf5e&k=11051

For traffic cops in this city, 16 tickets a day seems low
    JAMES MENNIE, The Gazette
    Published: Thursday, March 22 2007
    It's no surprise Alfredo Munoz resigned from the Montreal police force. Apart from being a police officer for 12 years, he also runs SOS Ticket, a company that helps people fight their traffic tickets.
    There was nothing illegal about Munoz's involvement with a business while he was a cop. But here in the 21st century, appearances are everything, so the department gave Munoz until the end of this month to give up his company or his badge.
    On Monday, Munoz turned in his badge.
    There the story would end, were it not for the fact the former police sergeant, perhaps like many others who have just left a long-held job, decided it was time to clear the air about his former employer.
    Free to sound off about police policies now that he was no longer carrying them out, Munoz told the Journal de Montreal this week that Montreal cops have quotas to fill when it comes to handing out tickets. Regular officers are expected to ding motorists once or twice a day. Members of the year-old, 133-member traffic division are expected to hand out 16 per day.
    Given that Munoz's company makes money off this quota system (presuming it exists), suggesting police could be spending their time more profitably by fighting crime seems a little odd.
    Granted, his concern could be for the public welfare. But the statistics compiled by Montreal police suggest your average citizen runs a greater risk of being killed by an unsignalled left turn than a drive-by shooting. In fact, those road fatality numbers were used to justify the squad's creation in January of last year.
    Then there's the issue of why those tickets get handed out in the first place. If you spend any amount of time behind a steering wheel in this town, your reaction to the suggestion that cops have to hand out 16 tickets a day was predictable. The cops could have handed out twice as many just to the jerks who blew by you on the right this morning on your way to work.
    In Montreal, a cash-strapped city with more than its share of dangerously lunatic drivers, there's a zen-like efficiency to raising public revenues with traffic tickets.
    But zen-like efficiency has never been this city's strong suit. So I called Claude Dauphin, Montreal executive committee member responsible for public safety, to ask if Munoz was on the money, so to speak, with his claims.
    "The police department tells me there are no quotas," he said yesterday, sounding a little bit like he was speaking in a witness box. "And I believe them.
    "Do they have quotas? They're telling me no. But what they're telling me is that maybe each police officer, after the fact, has an average of maybe 15 or 16.
    "They're not telling the police officers: 'Hey, you have to issue 20 tickets today.' "
    Over at the Montreal Police Brotherhood, which last year issued a withering communique defending their members' integrity when it was suggested the traffic squad was nothing more than a tax grab, there was little said about Munoz's claim.
    "It's clear that all police have a job to do and the job of those in the traffic squad is to hand out tickets," Brotherhood spokesperson Martin Viau said.
    "Insofar as they're handing them out, they're doing their jobs."
    The union would take a stand on a ticket quota system only if its membership reported it as being a problem, Viau said.
    "And that hasn't happened."
    All of which means the next time you're slapped with a fine and some demerit points, just remember: You weren't part of a quota.
    And somewhere, there's an ex-cop who can help you out.
    jmennie@thegazette.canwest.com

Why not just create a free service that puts speed traps on google maps and you can update/check it on a GPS with the functionality of an iphone while you drive?

videosilva

Any thing to **** up the corrupt cops, government and system is a GOOD thing. One for all and all for ONE !

Quote Originally Posted by Muchacho View Post
    Why not just create a free service that puts speed traps on google maps and you can update/check it on a GPS with the functionality of an iphone while you drive?

its being done sorta, its a gps poi file thats constantly updated

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...4&whichpage=15

Quote Originally Posted by videosilva View Post
    Any thing to **** up the corrupt cops, government and system is a GOOD thing. One for all and all for ONE !
    You may want to first consider who dictates the actions of police, before you call them 'corrupt' for enforcing the law. How many cops do you think REALLY want to spend their lives working traffic?

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I have the best solution.

Don't speed.

videosilva

You may want to first consider who dictates the actions of police, before you call them 'corrupt' for enforcing the law. How many cops do you think REALLY want to spend their lives working traffic?
    This is going to GET UGLY !

2. I'm talking about Metro Toronto Cops.

3. I HAVE SEEN THE CORRUPTION MANY MANY MANY times over the years.

READ MY LIPS CROOKS WITH BADGES !!

Don't be naive.

I cant belive how much you have me wound up right now.

Here is ANOTHER FACT OF LIFE for you.

Imperialism = A Dictatorship= Communism= Capitalism

Don't believe me ........ KGB = OPP,RCPM,MTP,YRP and any other police for you can think of.

Still in doubt ? In a " FREE " country with the word of ONE person they WILL take your 10-15-50 thousand bike .............. Canada GOOD Country.
    Last edited by videosilva; 01-12-2008 at 04:24 AM.

You've wound yourself up. Time to find a little perspective.

pffft... I have a GPS with a POI speedtrap database, an rd and a jammer if I can get anymore information the pillion's going to have to take a course in Electronic Counter measures.

You've wound yourself up. Time to find a little perspective.
    Hey Rob you have too atleast respect what the guy is saying,you know as well as i do there are many police out there that are indeed corrupt and abuse their authority all time ,"sad but VERY! true" ,at the same time i also see your perspective on this too have truth too it.

I'd say probably most want to work traffic. Sit on your *** with a radar gun for 8 hours getting $30 plus an hour or chase some crazy on foot through alleys and backyards. Plus cops know more tickets=more city revenue=more $ into their pension fund.

Quote Originally Posted by moto22 View Post
    Hey Rob you have too atleast respect what the guy is saying,you know as well as i do there are many police out there that are indeed corrupt and abuse their authority all time ,"sad but VERY! true" ,at the same time i also see your perspective on this too have truth too it.
    Define what you mean buy "many", then show me some proof. In 44 years on this planet I haven't had anything near the sort of problems that so many here who are in their 20s seem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    I'd say probably most want to work traffic. Sit on your *** with a radar gun for 8 hours getting $30 plus an hour or chase some crazy on foot through alleys and backyards. Plus cops know more tickets=more city revenue=more $ into their pension fund.
    Most of the cops I've met hate the idea of traffic duty. They got into the job to do some good, then get stuck doing the city's dirty work of tax collection in speed traps. If you think that's what most cops want to do, then you haven't met many. I can't say that I've really ever taken to a cop who was a career traffic officer.

And, as I've said on far too many occasions for anyone to have missed, fines go into general coffers. The police don't get them. I would actually say that the greater demands that are put on city budgets because every councillor has his pet project REDUCE the amount of money going to what I would term real enforcement.

Most of the cops I've met hate the idea of traffic duty. They got into the job to do some good, then get stuck doing the city's dirty work of tax collection in speed traps. If you think that's what most cops want to do, then you haven't met many. I can't say that I've really ever taken to a cop who was a career traffic officer.
    Isn't that the truth. Although I'm sure some of the attitude traffic cops sometimes display could very well be from frustration doing the crap work. I know when I'm on a project I hate it comes through in my attitude sometimes.

The solution is increased speed limits, enforcement of ALL traffic laws

AND most importantly:

Remove traffic ticket revenue from the city and make all funds go to charity. Watch how many tickets are issued then.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Mississauga ('08 ZX-14 Street, '02 GSXR750 Track))

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    Remove traffic ticket revenue from the city and make all funds go to charity. Watch how many tickets are issued then.
    I love it!!

Gotta say, my bet would be on a SUBSTANTIAL drop in tickets issued.
    DVS in name....DVS in nature.....

Link to track day pics

Link to track day vids

On Yahoo Video

On Vimeo