Slow drivers targeted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow drivers targeted

Slow drivers targeted

They should do the same in Ontario:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...rs.beware.ktul

And it would make a lot of sense should the speed limit be officially at least 120, preferably 130.

Re: Slow drivers targeted

Yes, they should ticket left lane bandits, people who pass on on-ramps and the breakdown lane, those who don't signal (a tractor almost took me out while not signalling his lane change yesterday), and others who are guilty of non speed-related offences.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    and others who are guilty of non speed-related offences.
    Wadda you mean?? Its only speed that kills... they have spend big money convincing us of this.

SPEED KILLS

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...rs.beware.ktul

And it would make a lot of sense should the speed limit be officially at least 120, preferably 130.
    Define slow.

I routinely do 90 km/h in the right (slow lane) in my commute while everyone else is doing 110-120 km/h.

And it's not because i'm a ****** driver - my van is prone to sideways drifting in high wind conditions/large transport trucks over-taking at extra-legal speeds on the route i take to commute to work - over the Burlington Skyway bridge. It is prudent for me to be doing less than the legal 'limit' - not reasonable grounds to ticket for under the limit. And yes, i get assclowns climbing up my arse in the slow lane, because they think that the slow lane is their personal passing lane.

Not everyone is comfortable doing 120 km/h. Which are 'extra-legal' speeds, no matter that it is the norm.

With an aging population, it makes more sense to keep the status quo of 100 km/h, not increase it - night vision does NOT improve with age.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Bill View Post
    Define slow.

I routinely do 90 km/h in the right (slow lane) in my commute while everyone else is doing 110-120 km/h.

And it's not because i'm a ****** driver - my van is prone to sideways drifting in high wind conditions/large transport trucks over-taking at extra-legal speeds on the route i take to commute to work - over the Burlington Skyway bridge. It is prudent for me to be doing less than the legal 'limit' - not reasonable grounds to ticket for under the limit. And yes, i get assclowns climbing up my arse in the slow lane, because they think that the slow lane is their personal passing lane.

Not everyone is comfortable doing 120 km/h. Which are 'extra-legal' speeds, no matter that it is the norm.

With an aging population, it makes more sense to keep the status quo of 100 km/h, not increase it - night vision does NOT improve with age.

They are refering to the left lane which is for overtaking. Your in the right lane so you don't count. If you were in the left doing 90 in a 100 limit you'd deserve a severe lashing but hey North Americans seems to ignore this rule.

Bill, you aren't obstructing people who want to pass if you're in the right lane. If you're in the LEFT lane then as far as I'm concerned you deserve a ticket, even if there is no one attempting to overtake. Lane management needs to be enforced.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Lane management needs to be enforced.
    I smell new laws

Quote Originally Posted by topendz View Post
    They are refering to the left lane which is for overtaking. Your in the right lane so you don't count. If you were in the left doing 90 in a 100 limit you'd deserve a severe lashing but hey North Americans seems to ignore this rule.
    Without having actually read the article first, I was responding to what i thought was a rather sweeping statement. I guess i should keep my big trap shut and read first. My apology for jumping the gun on tiborgh.

It's sad that we have to legislate for what is, or should be, common sense.

I'm betting half or better than half of these left lane speed-challenged people are yakking it up on the cell-phone too.. i heard a report on a study recently that indicates that a lot of these sort of traffic offenders are occupied with their cells and not the road at the time. I wish i could cite the story - it was a news report/commentary on the radio last week.

Quote Originally Posted by tiborgh View Post

I'm betting half or better than half of these left lane speed-challenged people are yakking it up on the cell-phone too.. i heard a report on a study recently that indicates that a lot of these sort of traffic offenders are occupied with their cells and not the road at the time. I wish i could cite the story - it was a news report/commentary on the radio last week.
    A few months back I was merging from the QEW Niagara onto the QEW/403 Toronto Bound in Burlington. After I moved into the left most lane, I watched an 18 wheeler, merge across two lanes (coming from the 403 Hamilton) while shifting gears, all the while talking on a cell phone with his left hand up to his ear, he let go of the wheel to make the two gear changes... I was flabbergasted, the traffic was moderate to heavy at the time.

I saw a cute blondie once in an Integra. In her left hand she had a lit cigarette and a cell she was talking on in between taking drags, with her right hand she was half driving half shifting gears. I was very impressed, especially since even with all that she was still driving better then most other people on the road.

Anything under the limit. Assuming good weather/road conditions then drivers should be doing the limit. If the driver or vehicle can not safely do the limit then they should not be on that road.

In your case, if the van is not safe at the limit on the skyway then take to slower roads. No reflection on your driving abilities.

100kph on the 400 series roads is just plain wrong. The reasons have been debated ad nauseum so I'll skip them...

Define slow.

Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

Quote Originally Posted by ddusseld View Post

In your case, if the van is not safe at the limit on the skyway then take to slower roads. No reflection on your driving abilities.
    Ahahahaa. slower roads, you aren't all that familiar with that neck of the woods are you Dave?

That leaves the Beach strip road, and the lift bridge, and if the lift bridge is lifted to let a slooooooow freighter through, you are screwed for 20 minutes, and for getting to work at time.

I'm exaggerating a tad.. i'm not the only one doing ~90 km/h, just in the minority, and always in the slow lane. Driving a slab-sided empty GMC Safari in higher winds on the Skyway is a skittish affair, no reflection on it's overall mechanical fitness or my driving skills. Usually i'm within sight of another Astro/Safari vehicle also taking the prudent way.

Whether i'm doing 90 km/h or 120 km/h, there is always some idiot riding your bumper in that neck of the woods, no matter what lane you choose.

i have no problem at all when somebody is in the right lane driving 90.. fine by me... what annoys me, is when there is somebody in the left lane driving 90, and no matter how much highbeaming/tailgating you do, they refuse to move...

Another problem is when somebody is in the left lane driving 90, and you go to pass them in the right, and they speed up, because they refuse to let you by... Canada has a real problem with being considerate while driving...
    RR

Doing 90 in the fast lane feels like 130 when somebody else is doing 70 in the slow lane

Quote Originally Posted by Marko G View Post
    i have no problem at all when somebody is in the right lane driving 90.. fine by me... what annoys me, is when there is somebody in the left lane driving 90, and no matter how much highbeaming/tailgating you do, they refuse to move...

Another problem is when somebody is in the left lane driving 90, and you go to pass them in the right, and they speed up, because they refuse to let you by... Canada has a real problem with being considerate while driving...
    Not 'Canada', just urban drivers.

I think that part of the speeding up issue is a sub conscious reaction by the driver. They accelerate simply because the person next to them is going faster. No real attempt to block.

Where I see the more deliberate speeding up/blocking is when the driver in the left lane is going 120kph and feels that this is fast enough for anybody.

Since we are talking about pet peeves mine is the driver who believes that their turn signal is a magic light that should make every other driver let them in to wherever they want to be. To me the turn signal is an indicator that a driver is going to move to an unoccupied space on the road, not a signal to other drivers to provide said unoccupied space.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko G View Post

Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

that's part of the problem...everyone refers to it as the "slow lane" and nobody wants to be "slow" so everyone stays in the left lane (the "fast lane"). the police should be ticketing people who use the passing lane for anything other than passing.

I think that part of the speeding up issue is a sub conscious reaction by the driver. They accelerate simply because the person next to them is going faster. No real attempt to block.

Where I see the more deliberate speeding up/blocking is when the driver in the left lane is going 120kph and feels that this is fast enough for anybody.

Since we are talking about pet peeves mine is the driver who believes that their turn signal is a magic light that should make every other driver let them in to wherever they want to be. To me the turn signal is an indicator that a driver is going to move to an unoccupied space on the road, not a signal to other drivers to provide said unoccupied space.
    Yes Dave, I think that as many people know about your peeves regarding signals, as know my reactions to those who don't

You saying I need a new pet peeve?

Yes Dave, I think that as many people know about your peeves regarding signals, as know my reactions to those who don't

You saying I need a new pet peeve?
    Down with homework