"New Suzuki GSX-R125 ready for 2008"

Thread: "New Suzuki GSX-R125 ready for 2008"

"New Suzuki GSX-R125 ready for 2008"

its official, there's a new race for the small bikes~! first came the CBR125, then yamaha comes out with a supermoto 250, and kawasaki updates their own ninja250. Now Suzuki will be coming out with a GSX-R125 (talks of a 250 is in the works as well). Whether we will be seeing this bike remains a mystery. But at least we know Suzuki has small sport bikes in mind. If Suzuki comes out with a little 250 I will have to sell my new 08 Kawi next year. Can't wait till more details come out!!!

link:
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne.../?&R=EPI-97844
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1%20Suzuki%20GSXR125.jpg  

Re: "New Suzuki GSX-R125 ready for 2008"

Meh, I'm a fan of companies finally paying attention to something other than giant displacement bikes, but I wish they would put more into the 500's. I love my EX500, but it needs some serious improvements, given that it is the same motor that debuted in 1987 (and was based on technology even older)

Not all riders, such as myself, need the power of a 600cc super sport, but I definitely want more than can be offered by a 125 and 250cc bike.

There needs to be a better middle weight!

all the 125cc coming out this year are looking good... its going to be very competive with all the Japanese companies trying to climb over each other on every CC... gotta love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Royson View Post
    Meh, I'm a fan of companies finally paying attention to something other than giant displacement bikes, but I wish they would put more into the 500's. I love my EX500, but it needs some serious improvements, given that it is the same motor that debuted in 1987 (and was based on technology even older)

Not all riders, such as myself, need the power of a 600cc super sport, but I definitely want more than can be offered by a 125 and 250cc bike.

SV650 with barely 70 HP fits that description...
    Security transcends technology

Banned

SV650 with barely 70 HP fits that description...
    one that isnt in the 600-749cc insurance bracket

Frig! I can't believe this stuff actually comming out just when I bought the Ninja 250R! =(

*Huge fan of gixxers here by the way*

But I hope, it comes out in a 250cc model rather than the 125..
    Last edited by infernobuster; 01-04-2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by rukus View Post
    one that isnt in the 600-749cc insurance bracket
    That right there is exactly why I don't even consider the SV650 to be the middle weight.

The EX500, on an antiquated carbed 500cc platform puts out 50-55 HP.

With some improvements, a switch to fuel injection, improve the frame, etc, a 500cc bike can definitely improve power, and more a more smooth ride, without being ridiculously over powered.

And, it would be a small displacement bike that is easy on gas and cheap on insurance.

But really, it seems to be with the improvements on the Ninja 250, if anything, Kawi wants to phase out the EX500.

But, I'm not an engineer or a business person, just somebody who would rather an improved 500cc machine than a super sport.

A little birdie told me that Honda is seriously considering releasing a 400 cc bike here, in the next 2 years.

Take it at face value ..

Hofman101

Quote Originally Posted by infernobuster View Post
    A little birdie told me that Honda is seriously considering releasing a 400 cc bike here, in the next 2 years.

Take it at face value ..
    A new version of the NC30 would be awesome. Not sure how similar the engine will be, but I'm guess more primitive, seeing as how everyone wants bikes for cheap.

Banned

Until these small bikes start getting some good suspension and braking components they'll forever remain 'newb bikes'. There's a reason they're so cheap... the manufacturers figured out they can keep them alive and keep them looking sporty by changing the styling, but underneath the plastics is still all the same ol' stuff from before.

Give us a 400 with some modern components.

125's are decent but everybody knows 250cc's are what's needed for the North American market maybe even 400's
    give the consumers a choice for 1 or 2 seasons and then phase out the slower selling small displacement class
    look at the choices the European and Asian markets have to pick from
    "bigger is better" in North America but everyone knows that the government and insurance companies are trying hard to slow us down and only let those that can afford the insurance ride the big, fast, bikes
    bring on the small and modern but cool looking sportbikes
    Last edited by deckard; 01-05-2008 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    bring on the small but cool looking sportbikes we are all waiting with cash in hand
    I for one am not waiting for a small bike with cash in hand, and I doubt too many others are. Or at least not for the kinds of small bikes manufacturers are releasing. Tomorrow I would buy a modern 400cc I4 FI bike w/ modern brakes and suspension if it were reasonably priced.

But let's see the modern options out there. I don't include any of the 500cc options because they're all too old. I'm not stupid enough to pay new prices for 20 year old technology with new plastics:

GSX-R125/250 - No info. The ONLY English page on the net with any info won't load on my computer because I blocklisted their advertiser. I'll believe it when I see it on more sites.

CBR125R - 1 cyl, 2 valves/cyl, poor brakes and suspension, most components on it look like they were taken from the spare parts bin. $3500

ZX250R - I2, 4 valves/cyl, but it's STILL carburated (in 2008 I would think FI should be standard on all bikes), however it has better brakes and suspension, better looking than the CBR125. $4250

The manufacturers are in this business to sell their products. And they realized that people are looking for dirt cheap, small bikes. And I'm not buying them.

Banned

Im not waiting for a small bike either... big bikes are fun. I think I'd lose my mind on a 400. But if they're gonna try to push these onto the market, at least modernize them and put some good quality parts on the damn things.

Nice little gixxer, great for beginners. Gotta keep the sport of motorcycling alive.
    Honda did quite well with their CBR125, Suzuki should do well as well.
    Sell your used motorcyle, parts and gear at www.MotorcycleTraderUSA.com

Love the outdoors go to: www.GetOutdoorGear.com

Motorcycle Gear reviews and more... www.MotoCycles.ca

Luxury Cars and Watches: www.LuxuryDiscovery.com

-------------------------------------
    My Bike History:
    1988 Kawasaki EX500
    1988 Kawasaki Ninja 750R
    1997 Kawasaki ZX-7R
    Now 2004 Suzuki Bandit 600S