What kind of Laser/Radar does the OPP use? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of Laser/Radar does the OPP use?

Re: What kind of Laser/Radar does the OPP use?

Quote Originally Posted by Team Lazy View Post
    And as far as "undetectable".... When he flips on the radar, and your tailights come on, you just got burned. When he does it a few times, you're confirmed burned. Ask me how I know...
    There are plenty of cops without detector "detectors" just flipping the radar off and on to watch for brake lights or cars dramatically slowing down. Heck, you can get burned driving the limit just because it went off and you tapped the brakes.
    This is why you keep your eyes peeled for cops ALL the time. In front of you, behind you, 5 cars behind you, beside you etc. If you arent going that fast and road conditions are DRY, you can VERY CAREFULLY and lightly apply the hand brake to slow down SLOWLY. DO NOT apply it with force (trust me)!!!
    Last edited by GSPLover; 01-08-2008 at 08:56 AM.
    If you try to make it idiot-proof, someone will just make a better idiot....

Quote Originally Posted by spankayf View Post
    Wanna bet?

All police use the Spectre there is nothing else out there. Here it is ...

http://www.davtech.ca/radar_det.htm

This beats it there is nothing else out there .... very straight forward

http://www.beltronics.com/sti.html
    I guess I have it backwards. The consumer stuff is one generation ahead of the officials to keep the consumer radar market alive. The point is that its only good for a short period of time before its outdated, then you have a $500 bookend plus a fine for having one. Its your money if you have it to spend.
    Lets see, first K, then Ka, X, Laser, then non-detectable, POP, detector detectors.... How long do you think it will it be before an undetectable detector will take to come out ? I've got 2 previous versions in a drawer to sell cheap. I'm finished playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by gybeman View Post
    I guess I have it backwards. The consumer stuff is one generation ahead of the officials to keep the consumer radar market alive. The point is that its only good for a short period of time before its outdated, then you have a $500 bookend plus a fine for having one. Its your money if you have it to spend.
    Lets see, first K, then Ka, X, Laser, then non-detectable, POP, detector detectors.... How long do you think it will it be before an undetectable detector will take to come out ? I've got 2 previous versions in a drawer to sell cheap. I'm finished playing the game.
    yeah but what time frame u think each one of the once u had were good for? at least a year? and it only takes on speeding ticket to cost you a price of a brand new one including increased insurance costs.

The Sti IS undetectable, COMPLETELY.

Quote Originally Posted by GSPLover View Post
    Huh? What do you mean?
    I get what he is saying. Sure you may get a year out of it. Of course the picture is a lot better where you can use them legally. But as they are ILLEGAL here, when you do get burned, the fines sure add up quick, and didn't someone say here (or maybe somewhere else) their insurance company found out about the detector ticket and refused them. There is no cost savings when you are paying for Facility Insurance, detector or no detector.

The Sti IS undetectable, COMPLETELY.
    Maybe, for now. How long did it take the manufacturers to up the anti when the last undetectables were made ? To think its the be-all end-all last detector you will have to buy is naive.

Maybe, for now. How long did it take the manufacturers to up the anti when the last undetectables were made ? To think its the be-all end-all last detector you will have to buy is naive.
    Do you know why they became detectable? Im assuming no. Simply because the RD makers changed the frequency these 'undetectable' RD's electronics ran at and the RDD makers then changed what the RDDs could detect. These old units were not undetectable.
    The STi is and always will be undetectable. Old detectors leaked microwaves, some more than others. The STi does not leak at all. The ONLY way to know someone has one is to see it.
    Now when the OPP start using other bands of radar the STi does not pick up, then yes you will probably need to pick up a new unit.
    I see what you are saying though. You need to keep buying a new toy every so often to stay ahead of the cops.
    An RD is not a licence to speed but as others have said, when used correctly they are a great tool if you are going to drive a little over the limit. I personally think the limits on the main highways and country highways are a joke.
    An RD will not help you at all of you are the target of a laser gun.
    Last edited by GSPLover; 01-08-2008 at 10:02 AM.

Do you know why they were detectable? Im assuming no. The STi is and always will be undetectable. Old detectors leaked microwaves, some more than others. The STi does not leak at all. The ONLY way to know someone has one is to see it.
    Now when the OPP start using other bands of radar the STi then yes you will probably need to pick up a new unit.
    I see what you are saying though. You need to keep buying a new toy every so often to stay ahead of the cops.
    An RD is not a licence to speed but as others have said, when used correctly they are a great tool if you are going to drive a little over the limit. I personally think the limits on the main highways and country highways are a joke.
    An RD will not help you at all of you are the target of a laser gun.
    Ah, don't assume. I understood how the older ones emitted their own radar signature that the officials then upgraded to detect. If the new one works by jamming or absorbing, it won't take long for a radar cop to figure out the reason his gun isn't getting a reading, or getting a wacky reading on a vehicle he knows is going a lot faster than the other traffic. (or airplane camera filming you) Then its just a matter of them playing their probable cause for search card. A couple of us already know where that leads.
    I too think the speed limits are rediculous, and there are a lot of instant on/laser guns out there, so I don't intend on playing the radar tech game with them any more.

Ah, don't assume. I understood how the older ones emitted their own radar signature that the officials then upgraded to detect. If the new one works by jamming or absorbing, it won't take long for a radar cop to figure out the reason his gun isn't getting a reading, or getting a wacky reading on a vehicle he knows is going a lot faster than the other traffic. (or airplane camera filming you) Then its just a matter of them playing their probable cause for search card. A couple of us already know where that leads.
    I too think the speed limits are rediculous, and there are a lot of instant on/laser guns out there, so I don't intend on playing the radar tech game with them any more.
    No, the Sti does not jam or absorb anything. It also does not leak anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzficken View Post
    I think I've seen that video before
    BUSTED: The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters

probably has something to do with

Speed measuring warning devices - Exception 79.(6) Subsection (2) does not apply to a person who is transporting speed measuring warning devices in sealed packages in a motor vehicle from a manufacturer to a consignee. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.

cool... who wants to sell me a radar detector

Quote Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
    cool... who wants to sell me a radar detector
    I think gybeman has a couple for sale if u r interested lol

Quote Originally Posted by masalma View Post
    I think gybeman has a couple for sale if u r interested lol

You got that right !

Quote Originally Posted by Team Lazy View Post
    And as far as "undetectable".... When he flips on the radar, and your tailights come on, you just got burned. When he does it a few times, you're confirmed burned. Ask me how I know...
    There are plenty of cops without detector "detectors" just flipping the radar off and on to watch for brake lights or cars dramatically slowing down. Heck, you can get burned driving the limit just because it went off and you tapped the brakes.
    It would be neat, not that I did it, to use a brake light switch. Of course you have to be careful not to be rear-ended.