South of the border banter. - Page 10

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: South of the border banter.

Re: South of the border banter.

Quote Originally Posted by kramer View Post
    I don't propose anything. I think gun crime is not a big enough problem to warrant all this attention.
    And the 5000 guns that are stolen annually isn't something that bothers you?
    Shama-la-ma-ding dong!

Quote Originally Posted by sonnythebull View Post
    heres a timely article. i assume this guy would have not been injured if he had a gun. Check the highlited part
    http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/...52221-sun.html

Alberta

LANGDON -- A home invasion took a deadly twist yesterday, leaving one of two bandits dead and a suspect in critical condition from serious stab wounds.
    And murder charges could be pending against the 35-year-old man renting the acreage home, who, along with his girlfriend, was jarred awake at 3:30 a.m. when the two men burst into the bedroom after forcibly entering the residence through a side door.
    Mounties said the man fought off the two assailants, leaving one of them, a 32-year-old man, dead in the bedroom -- an unusual turn of events for police at the scene.
    "It doesn't happen very often where an attacker ends up dead," RCMP Cpl. Patty Neely said.
    The other would-be robber, a 27-year-old man, fled the house with stab wounds shortly after the invasion went awry.
    A suspect was later found by cops at the Strathmore hospital and was taken to a Calgary hospital with critical injuries.
    Although they couldn't say whether the bandits were armed when they arrived at the home -- or what types of weapons were used in the ensuing struggle with the man living there -- Mounties said the residence was not randomly hit.

"We do know that the assailants and the victims were known to each other," said Neely.
    "This was a specific incident with a specific target in mind."
    But, Neely said the reasons behind the botched invasion are still unclear.
    "At this point we have no connection to gangs or drugs," she said.
    "We have no ties to any criminal activity as of yet."
    Police haven't released the cause of the 32-year-old's death and an autopsy is scheduled for today.
    While the resident's 24-year-old girlfriend was not hurt, the man suffered injuries while warding off his attackers and was in stable condition. He could also face homicide charges pending the outcome of an RCMP investigation.
    Sgt. Patrick Webb said self-defence has not been ruled out.
    "We're investigating into the circumstances of the whole situation and that will determine whether or not there is a possibility of charges," he said.
    Canada's Criminal Code authorizes people to use the amount of force necessary to protect themselves and their property.
    However, the law stresses such force should not be used to cause death or grievous bodily harm.
    Meanwhile, residents in the otherwise quiet hamlet 20 km east of Calgary were left rattled by the events.
    Lisa Mayer, a mother of three who moved to a nearby acreage just days earlier, said she was shocked by the attack. "It just kind of scares me," she said. "We used to live in Forest Lawn and hear sirens and HAWCS and stuff, so it was real nice out here for the last few nights."
    Yes, only in Canada. Outnumbered by two men, an apparent 'victim' defies the odds, and yet is facing murder charges after having fended off two attackers in his own home, the victim was there - the police were not to experience the fear that the victim may have had, for himself and/or his girlfriend, and yet they'll likely file charges based on secondary/tertiary evidence. In Canada apparently, you are supposed to remain a 'victim'.

I'd say the victim did quite well. His only mistake was to not finish off the home invaders with the knife, if he could, and bury them where no bodies could be found.

I'm sure some will find this comment to be inflammatory, but a gun would have made that task easier, more efficient. I'm a true believer in a man's home being his castle, it is inviolate, invade at your own peril.

The criminal code should be amended to read 'by any means necessary'.
    Last edited by Bandit Bill; 01-05-2008 at 12:03 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by l33t Rider View Post
    And the 5000 guns that are stolen annually isn't something that bothers you?
    In 2005-2006, individuals and businesses disposed of 194,075 firearms.

So no, 5000 stolen guns don't bother me at all.

The fact that there is a market for 5000 stolen guns is a tad troubling though.

Quote Originally Posted by kramer View Post
    In 2005-2006, individuals and businesses disposed of 194,075 firearms.

So no, 5000 stolen guns don't bother me at all.

The fact that there is a market for 5000 stolen guns is a tad troubling though.
    That 194,075 may or may not contain any of the 5000 guns that are now in criminal hands. So for all we know, the all the guns returned could be from owners who can't pass on grandfathered guns or likely from legal owners who don't want their guns anymore. It still doesn't address the fact that the stolen guns are out there.

There will always be a market for stolen guns, regardless of any laws. So why aren't things done about stolen guns? I suppose it doesn't matter to you so long as they aren't YOUR guns that are stolen, but guess what, perhaps the next time a stolen gun is used, it is used against you or something important to you.
    Shama-la-ma-ding dong!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by l33t Rider View Post
    but guess what, perhaps the next time a stolen gun is used, it is used against you or something important to you.
    And that's why I want my government to allow me to defend myself and my property with my guns

Why aren't things being done about stolen guns? Ask the police... it's not my job to find them. Why do we law abiding citizens have to make sacrifices because some scumbags out there are stealing our property? Doesn't make any sense to me. Enough with the fear mongering... Canada is safe.

It would be nice to have figs showing source of illegal guns. I suspect that smuggled guns are way bigger proportion of source than stolen. For sure if you entirely did away with stolen guns most of them would simply be replaced by increased smuggling. You should have an increase in the price of illegal guns. That price increase might push the marginal user out of the market but not the real criminals.

Illicit drugs are a good example. First, in spite of being illegal, they are readily available everywhere. You drop a hardened junkie frm NYC into Tillsonburg and he'll be hooked up in an hour. Second, if the police intercept a big shipment(s) it affects the price more than the street supply. After the price pops up the supply problem gets fixed.

It would be nice to somehow target the bad guy end user instead of doing 'feel good' things that target the existing rights of law abiding citizens. Maybe increase the punishment for using firearms in crimes.

I haven't seen the statistics or studies to support any of the above.
    * It's about safety, stupid.

I'd love to see Indian reserves monitored much more than they are. Screw the politically correct crap border security is a serious thing. I will agree I don't agree that the persecution of gun owners warrents the situation in Canada but like everything else it is an easier smokescreen then delving into Canada/Native relations.

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    I'd love to see Indian reserves monitored much more than they are. ..........
    100% agree. For one thing, most of the time Indians are being totally scr*wed by their own leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by johnp View Post
    100% agree. For one thing, most of the time Indians are being totally scr*wed by their own leaders.
    you are 100% correct. The money never filters down to those who need it and the leaders are more then willing to turn a blind eye to illegal smuggling for a cut. maybe they have mastered our western way of life after all. greed is the way eh.

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    The money never filters ............. greed is the way eh.
    Sure is. So all this political correctness doesn't help Indians at all. It helps their leaders & hurts the Indians.

If we're not careful this could morph into another new thread. "north of the border banter"?