Ontario Dirt Bike Laws and Regs

Thread: Ontario Dirt Bike Laws and Regs

Post Ontario Dirt Bike Laws and Regs

Does anybody have the lowdown on the laws concerning dirtbike use here in ON? Registration Requirements, Insurance, Permits etc...

I am mostly going to be on private land with permission or a track, but when it comes to going off the beaten path (say a transmission line, forest area, or open pit) what are the Ontario regulations surrounding this??

I have a CRF450R that has no plate or anything like this. Can this thing even be given a permit? So many bloody rules around here.... lol.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Re: Ontario Dirt Bike Laws and Regs

Your supposed to have liability insurance if you intend to ride off of private land. Not sure about plates though. The rules have cahnged so much since I used to ride dirt.

When I was riding my dirt bike, I was more worried about the farmers chasing me through the fields than I was the cops. Farmers are ruthless!
    http://www.maximumcycle.ca
    ^^^^my first website!^^^^

I understand the only place that you can ride is private land with written permission. This would be a track with a written agreement. As far as I know there is no insurance company that will write a dirt bike.

I could be wrong but this is what was told to me when i was last looking at one

But if you have to have it dont they have to write it...??
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

If your looking for a place to ride you may want to checkout the "Raglan Pits" near Oshawa. We used to go riding there every Sunday about 2-3 years ago. Not sure how it is now though.

Google Maps Link
    (Change the view to Satellite and you'll see how the pits look)

- 401 East to Brock ST and head north (not Brock Rd!)
    - Hang a right on Myrtle Rd E (turns into Raglan Rd)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRider View Post
    If your looking for a place to ride you may want to checkout the "Raglan Pits" near Oshawa. We used to go riding there every Sunday about 2-3 years ago. Not sure how it is now though.

Google Maps Link
    (Change the view to Satellite and you'll see how the pits look)

- 401 East to Brock ST and head north (not Brock Rd!)
    - Hang a right on Myrtle Rd E (turns into Raglan Rd)
    That property was given to the city to look after so there are cops there all the time now. To ride off of private property you will need a green plate and insurance.

I have a Blue plated 2002 CRF 450, insured and street legal.
    This allows me to hit the trails, go to town for gas and food, then back to the trails.
    All without breaking the law.
    (except for the wheelies)
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

Quote Originally Posted by toastman View Post
    I have a Blue plated 2002 CRF 450, insured and street legal.
    This allows me to hit the trails, go to town for gas and food, then back to the trails.
    All without breaking the law.
    (except for the wheelies)

unfortunately, as of this year, the blue plate is no longer an option.

the MTO has changed what bikes are allowed to be blue plated.

Bikes that have been converted already "SHOULD" be ok and allowed to remain blue plated, but if it was not converted before October of 2007, it can not be blue plated unless it came street legal from the manufacturer.

the laws have changed, but it still can be done
    I did a CRF 230 2 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    unfortunately, as of this year, the blue plate is no longer an option.

the MTO has changed what bikes are allowed to be blue plated.

Bikes that have been converted already "SHOULD" be ok and allowed to remain blue plated, but if it was not converted before October of 2007, it can not be blue plated unless it came street legal from the manufacturer.