5 over rant! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 over rant!

Gh0sT

Re: 5 over rant!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Friend of mine is going west on Burnhamthorpe in Etobicoke, and right around Mill rd he gets stopped by a radar trap. Cop comes to the window and says "Sir do you know how fast you were going!" My buddy says "I dunno 60 tops"....Cop replys "NO! you were doing 55!"

Can you ****in believe he actually wrote him up for 55 in a 50!
    My God! Five over? The horror of it all! I'm surprised the cop didn't put a call out for the paddy wagon!

That's a cop who needs to get laid. Period.
    Last edited by Gh0sT; 12-19-2007 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    My buddy is 25 and he was driving his mothers older Toyota corolla, and he wasnt giving any attitude either. He couldnt! he was in too much shock to say anything really, when the cop said "No you were dion 55" he just looked at him with a puzzled look. He honestly had to ask himself "is this cop for real, or is he pulling my leg?"

He goes that way all the time and we all know theres often radar there, thats why he was putting alot at 55....I think the ticket was $27
    Toyota corolla drivers should only get tickets for impeding traffic. What a bastard that cop. Even though it's 27$ I'd still fight it too keep a clean record. Anything is possible in court. Once, the cop showed up for my ticket, even though I pleaded guilty the charges were dropped. No trial nothing, I was there literally 10 secs.
    Last edited by Rossi86; 12-20-2007 at 02:23 AM.

I really doubt the cop will go to court for that one... unless he has to be there for other stuff. I think he would be too embarrassed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by spankayf View Post
    Exactly what are they going to do? I'd file an 11b motion as well so they have to argue that before the trial and then have a 10 page list of cross examination questions ready.
    on what grounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Metastable View Post
    I really doubt the cop will go to court for that one... unless he has to be there for other stuff. I think he would be too embarrassed.
    If he was there for any length of time and running a speed trap, then he'll get several hearings handled at the same time and will show up for his overtime pay.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    If he was there for any length of time and running a speed trap, then he'll get several hearings handled at the same time and will show up for his overtime pay.
    Are you suggesting that rescheduling the court day to a later date will reduce the chances of the cop showing up? Oh, you are tricky!!!
    Security transcends technology

Quote Originally Posted by MarcosSantiago View Post
    Are you suggesting that rescheduling the court day to a later date will reduce the chances of the cop showing up? Oh, you are tricky!!!
    You know quite well that I wouldn't suggest that, however I'm not above a little innuendo.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

You could use the 'de minimis non curat lex' defense (the law does not concern itself with trifles). There is plenty of case law to support such a defense.

Rocketfella

Cops and paralegal services are in bed together, there is incentive for cops to write you up for just about anything now days. Once you go through the legal system and if a paralegal was hired to defend you, the cop who wrote the ticket will get a kick-back. Yap, formal cops switching to paralegal service career had created a network of corrupted cops. This should explain why paralegal service can produce unusually high rate of success in fighting tickets.

Peel cops had a work to rule campaign because of contracts they just recently signed a deal. When Metro had a work to rule I remember a guy getting a ticket for 1 over the speed limit.

You're friend should have been like: "Don't Tase me, Bro!"
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesy View Post
    Have him fight it..... I got a simple 10km/h over. Which was a $40 fine, and no points. I looked at is as ....Pffffft....and just payed the fine. Turns out they bumped my bike insurance by $500 for the year
    I don't get it. I hear all these stories of minor speeding tickets increasing premiums. One or two tickets has never affected my insurance. The only time I got an increase was when I had 3 speeding tickets showing in 1 year and even then it didn't go up by that much. The next year it came down. So whenever I get a minor speeding ticket I just pay the fine. I'm not going to take time off work to fight a $50 ticket, it's just not worth it.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    I don't get it. I hear all these stories of minor speeding tickets increasing premiums. One or two tickets has never affected my insurance. The only time I got an increase was when I had 3 speeding tickets showing in 1 year and even then it didn't go up by that much. The next year it came down. So whenever I get a minor speeding ticket I just pay the fine. I'm not going to take time off work to fight a $50 ticket, it's just not worth it.
    Ya...I just payed mine as well, hoping it would slide under the radar. I'm assuming you haven't put a new bike on your policy recently then? That's when you usually get pinched. If they have no reason to look at, or reveiw your policy, then there is a better chance that it will go un-noticed.

In my case, I got a quote on my Busa for $846/year, at the time of purchasing it. But then waited to insure it untill I was done rebuilding it. Figured there was no sense insuring it, if it wasn't ready to ride. It was in that time period that I got my 10k over. Once the bike was ready to be plated, and insured, that's when to my suprise, it was $1300+

Which insurance company are you with if you dont mind me asking..

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CB900F2 View Post
    Which insurance company are you with if you dont mind me asking..
    My bike is with Primmum and my car is with Masters.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

dammit, I got a 5 over last spring. I should have fought it. When pricing insurance for my ZX14, they all said it was more for the 5 over.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcosSantiago View Post
    The gangs and thugs called cops and courts are smarter. I got a ticket two years back and never received a date in the mail for like a year after I chose option 3. Checked with the courts and found out that my trial date already passed which was set just before the 1 yr anni of the date of ticket (idiot courts said they did send but I didn't receive anything). I filed motion to re-open the case and had another date.

Any how, the cop still showed up for that date as he had 7-8 other cases as well even though I rescheduled. Went to court, prosecutor was a biatch, JP even yelled at him for this other case cuz he was hurrying and interrupting...lol, but I did get the ticket reduced. So it doesn't really matter if you get a diff. date as the courts try to be more 'accomodating' to the cops.

-G

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketfella View Post
    Cops and paralegal services are in bed together, there is incentive for cops to write you up for just about anything now days. Once you go through the legal system and if a paralegal was hired to defend you, the cop who wrote the ticket will get a kick-back. Yap, formal cops switching to paralegal service career had created a network of corrupted cops. This should explain why paralegal service can produce unusually high rate of success in fighting tickets.

Are you for real??? Kickbacks from paralegals?? Likely the funniest thing I have read on here.

jay98

Interesting read on accuracy of spedo's for cars: http://hdforums.com/m_86294/tm.htm

And here is the entire thing just so I can get the biggest post I have ever one in my history award.

After reading this, you can probably give this to the court and say my spedo said I was doing 50, but the radar said 55, here is why.

*****BEGIN CUT*****
    Speedometer Scandal!
    Can you trust your most frequently consulted gauge?
    BY FRANK MARKUS

Regular readers have probably noticed that when we describe a vehicle that really gets our juices flowing, we tend to hyperbolize about the accuracy and precision with which the steering wheel and pedals communicate exactly what is happening down where the rubber meets the road. It has recently come to our attention, however, that many of the cars we like best are surprisingly inaccurate about reporting the velocity with which the road is passing beneath the tires. Or, to put it another way, speedometers lie

Yes, we are scooping 20/20 and 60 Minutes with this scandal: Speedometers Lie! Okay, "exaggerate" may state it more aptly, if less provocatively.
    When traveling at a true 70 mph, as indicated by our highly precise Datron optical fifth-wheel equipment, the average speedometer (based on more than 200 road-tested vehicles) reads 71.37 mph. Wait, wait! Before you roll your eyes and turn the page, let us dig just a bit deeper and reveal some dirt.

Sorted by price, luxury cars are the least accurate, and cars costing less than $20,000 are the most accurate. By category, sports cars indicate higher speeds than sedans or trucks. Cars built in Europe exaggerate more than Japanese cars, which in turn fib more than North American ones. And by manufacturer, GM's domestic products are the most accurate, and BMW's are the least accurate by far. One other trend: Only 13 of our 200 test speedos registered below true 70 mph, and only three of those were below 69 mph, while 90 vehicles indicated higher than 71 mph. Are our cars trying to keep us out of traffic court?
    To understand, let's first study the speedometer. In the good old days, plastic gears in the transmission spun a cable that turned a magnet, which imparted a rotational force to a metal cup attached to the needle. A return spring countered this force. Worn gears, kinked or improperly lubed cables, tired springs, vibrations, and countless other variables could affect these mechanical units.

But today, nearly all speedometers are controlled electronically. Typically, they are driven by either the vehicle's wheel-speed sensors or, more commonly, by a "variable reluctance magnetic sensor" reading the speed of the passing teeth on a gear in the transmission. The sine-wave signal generated is converted to speed by a computer, and a stepper motor moves the needle with digital accuracy.
    Variations in tire size and inflation levels are the sources of error these days. Normal wear and underinflation reduce the diameter of the tire, causing it to spin faster and produce an artificially high reading. From full tread depth to baldness, speeds can vary by up to about two percent, or 1.4 mph at 70 mph. Lowering tire pressure 5 psi, or carrying a heavy load on the drive axle, can result in about half that difference. Overinflation or oversize tires slow down the speedometer. All our speed measurements were made on cars with new stock tires correctly inflated, but one might expect a manufacturer to account for wear and to bias the speed a bit low; results suggest that not to be the case.

So we sought out the rule book to find out just how much accuracy is mandated. In the U.S., manufacturers voluntarily follow the standard set by the Society of Automotive Engineers, J1226, which is pretty lax. To begin with, manufacturers are afforded the latitude to aim for within plus-or-minus two percent of absolute accuracy or to introduce bias to read high on a sliding scale of from minus-one to plus-three percent at low speeds to zero to plus-four percent above 55 mph. And those percentages are not of actual speed but rather a percentage of the total speed range indicated on the dial. So the four-percent allowable range on an 85-mph speedometer is 3.4 mph, and the acceptable range on a 150-mph speedometer is 6.0 mph.

But wait, there's more. Driving in arctic or desert climates? You're allowed another plus-or-minus two percent near the extremes of 20-to-130-degrees Fahrenheit, and yet another plus-or-minus one percent if the gauge was ever exposed to minus-40 to plus-185 F. Alternator acting up? Take another plus-or-minus one percent if the operating voltage strays two volts above or below the normal rating. Tire error is excluded from the above, and odometer accuracy is more tightly controlled to plus-or-minus four percent of actual mileage.

The European regulation, ECE-R 39, is more concise, stating essentially that the speed indicated must never be lower than the true speed or higher by more than one-tenth of true speed plus four kilometers per hour (79.5 mph at a true 70). Never low. Not even if somebody swaps a big set of 285/35R-18s for stock 255/45R-16s.
    There's your explanation of high-reading European speedometers, with the highest readings on Porsches and BMWs that are most likely to lure owners inclined to fool with tire sizes. Of course, only the speedometer must conform. Trip computers are free to report average speed honestly. Try setting your BMW or Porsche cruise control and then resetting the average-speed function. Unless you've screwed up the tires, the trip computer should show a nearly accurate reading. Even General Motors, whose domestic speedometers are the best, must skew its readings slightly high on vehicles exported to Europe.

So there you have it: the raw, unvarnished truth about speedometers, laid bare without the underhanded aid of secret pyrotechnics. Readjust your comfortable indicated cruising speeds accordingly.

Reference: http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

****END CUT******