Got Disclosure - Seeking Legal Advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Disclosure - Seeking Legal Advice

Got Disclosure - Seeking Legal Advice

Okay boys, so I went to meet my court summons demand today and I was given a date and disclosure. In the disclosure, the police officer made me look fairly bad, and it was based on truth but it was quite stretched. I need somebody who knows what they are doing to look through the disclosure and hear my side and advice me of what to do. I cannot afford any of this by the way, I'm broke and a student (that's right i pulled the student card).

Someone please help or refer me to somebody who would like to help.

I lost my bike and paid $960 in impound fees, and was charged for 8 days instead of 7, her math was so wrong!

Anyone?
    Was hit with stunt driving - driving too close, and I was lane splitting, no wheelies, no 50km over!

Re: Got Disclosure - Seeking Legal Advice

I've learned recently that the law is quite flexible. The court and law enforcement are 2 separate entities and aren't always on the same page. If you're going for a first appearance you can handle it yourself. Just ask for a reduced charge, the prosecutor will probably knock it down. If you're going to trial then get someone from Redline or any other paralegal. Not cheap but will save you in the long run.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

I know you want someone who knows what they are doing, but if $$$ is an issue, U of T did have a free legal assistance program in the past being offered by law students. I wonder if it is still running.

But really, G, I'd try to seek professional, experienced council.

Quote Originally Posted by g4getmoney View Post
    Okay boys, so I went to meet my court summons demand today and I was given a date and disclosure. In the disclosure, the police officer made me look fairly bad, and it was based on truth but it was quite stretched. I need somebody who knows what they are doing to look through the disclosure and hear my side and advice me of what to do. I cannot afford any of this by the way, I'm broke and a student (that's right i pulled the student card).

I lost my bike and paid $960 in impound fees, and was charged for 8 days instead of 7, her math was so wrong!

Anyone?
    Was hit with stunt driving - driving too close, and I was lane splitting, no wheelies, no 50km over!
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

The unfortunate truth of the matter, is that in a racing/stunting case I believe you're far better off to seek professional representation. Given the possible fines involved, it's the less expensive option.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    U of T did have a free legal assistance program in the past being offered by law students. I wonder if it is still running.
    U of T still has free legal assistance, but I think it's used when you get in trouble with the university rules like plagiarising. I don't think you can use them to fight traffic tickets. Either way, I wouldn't trust a layer from U of T free legal service handling a serious case like this.

DO NOT cheap out with your representation.

I realize it's money you might not have, but the fine if you lose the case will be even bigger money that you do not have.

Contact Redline www.charged.ca

Keep in mind that you REALLY need to beat this charge almost regardless of what the legal costs are. If you cheap out with your representation, you are going to be stuck with minimum $2000 fine (money you don't have), and insurance is going to be difficult/impossible/EXPENSIVE for years afterward, AND you have to drive on pins and needles for 10 years, because if you have a *subsequent* charge under this law, you lose your driver's license for 10 years.

Unless there is a lawyer on this list any advice you get is worth what you paid for it. This is not a charge to defend yourself against unless you have been in court defending yourself before and are very comfortable arguing your case in front of a judge.

Can you get a first attendance meeting? It sounds like you already have a court date so I doubt it. This would have given you the ability to try to plea it down to something you can afford.

You can do a bunch of research yourself. Look at the specifics of the officers notes to determine why he charged you with stunting. Does this fit with in the bill 203? Is it a stretch? If it is very,very obviously a stretch you might consider either a paralegal or defend yourself. If the evidence seems to indicate you were stunting under the bill then you need a lawyer. The expense will be worth it in the long run.

Good luck...

Anyone?
    Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

You can also try to contact some lawyers and see if they are interested in taking this one on pro-bono (SP?) in which case they wouldn't charge you. Also if you do beat the stunting charge, then you would have better grounds to go after them for damages where such lawyers now can take a cut.

I PM'ed you contact details for a guy who can help, and prices are fair.
    Same guy VLAD used to win his recent incident. (not sure if you know VLAD)..

I have used this same guy in the past when I had $900 + of tickets (all aquired at the same incident).

Speeding 50 over
    Following too close
    Unsafe lane change.

At the end of the day, I was convicted of "Failing to share the road - 2 points), and the speeding was reduced to 15 over - no points.

Total fines were $45.00
    I was a VERY happy customer.

Also, in your first post, you said you paid for 8 days instead of 7... It was actually 9 days you paid for. (I remember - scam for sure).

The storage cost is likely listed as "per day, or part thereof."

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    The storage cost is likely listed as "per day, or part thereof."
    Exactly... so the best case is that you pay 8 days.
    In this particular case... they lied to us about their hours of operation, (claimed to be 24 hours, even for impounds), but then turns out that they are open till 5:00 pm for ("special police impounds").

Had to come back the next day only to find that they have LOST the KEYS, that's right... LOST.. and gave us the run around for about 2 hours... Then had to come back AGAIN the NEXT NEXT day, to finally pickup the bike, with some super flimsy keys they had a locksmith make.

SHADY operation. The manager didn't even seem to care that some parts from the bike were STOLEN off the bike in the secure impound, and we found them ON one of the tow trucks. (silly illuminated valve caps... but it's the principle here).

Sorry G... feel like I'm threadjacking...
    Back on topic.

CAN ANYONE ELSE HELP?

nahh it' sokay DJ yo got a point, i was so ******, i told the guy i will knock him out... he's an idiot and the whole thing only turned out the way it did because i was involved, and for some reason i have crappy luck, i'ts almost like i'm not meant to enjoy myself in life...everytime i have fun i get punished... annhh well.... i'm back this summer... R6

im going to call your contact and speak with him next week DJ and see how it goes, thanks for the pm and post. you coming on our snowboarding trip?

nahh it' sokay DJ yo got a point, i was so ******, i told the guy i will knock him out... he's an idiot and the whole thing only turned out the way it did because i was involved, and for some reason i have crappy luck, i'ts almost like i'm not meant to enjoy myself in life...everytime i have fun i get punished... annhh well.... i'm back this summer... R6

im going to call your contact and speak with him next week DJ and see how it goes, thanks for the pm and post. you coming on our snowboarding trip?

I haven't owned a snowboard in about 9 yrs... and I an well outa practice... (and shape).. so I'm gonna pass on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    I haven't owned a snowboard in about 9 yrs... and I an well outa practice... (and shape).. so I'm gonna pass on this one.
    i dont know D, that sounds more a reason to come out than an excuse to avoid it!!! the streets is talking...and that's what they are saying. okay so i've put you down for a maybe, sounds good.

Sent you a PM, check it.

?!!

Sorry, but telling someone that you'll punch his lights out has nothing to do with luck. If you were nailed for 50-over, then it has nothing to do with luck. Put the blame where it belongs.

If this is the cop that you're talking about then you are screwed, plain and simple. You'll likely see it listed in the discovery documents, which means it's going to be seen by The Crown and the magistrate. You'd be lucky that it's a magistrate and not a judge.

Get a lawyer. A REAL lawyer.

?!!

Sorry, but telling someone that you'll punch his lights out has nothing to do with luck. If you were nailed for 50-over, then it has nothing to do with luck. Put the blame where it belongs.

If this is the cop that you're talking about then you are screwed, plain and simple. You'll likely see it listed in the discovery documents, which means it's going to be seen by The Crown and the magistrate. You'd be lucky that it's a magistrate and not a judge.

He's referring to the tow truck driver that stole the valve cap lights off of his bike (while impounded), and then denied it!!! The valve cap lights were found on the tow truck drivers truck... on his 2 front wheels. The Driver claimed to have found them on the ground at the other side of the impound lot, and didn't even put up a fuss once he was caught red handed..... but he still denied stealing them off the bike.

G may lose his cool a little too quick sometimes... but I can sympathize a little on this one. This towing yard was SHADY...

lol i'm young Rob, not stupid! you guys often confuse the two. and yeah i loose my cool but anyone that didn't at that point wouldn't really understand anything i have to say so they should just not read my posts. i mean who would be okay with having someone steal their property, lie about it, and on top of it all USE IT ON THEIRS IN FRONT OF YOU! come on man, get real.

as for DJ, he's a good dude and lost his cool also but in a way more productive way. and "if you were nailed for 50 km/h over"? thanks for the assumption also. you are probably the type of guy that got wet over this new law i presume, which is fine, we all have our opinions but i'd like for you people to get a little information and insight before you start making comments about my situation. so yeah, thanks for the motivation Rob but i don't think i really wanna hear anymore.

thank you very much and have yourself a wonderful holiday season!
    ?!!

lol i'm young Rob, not stupid! you guys often confuse the two. and yeah i loose my cool but anyone that didn't at that point wouldn't really understand anything i have to say so they should just not read my posts. i mean who would be okay with having someone steal their property, lie about it, and on top of it all USE IT ON THEIRS IN FRONT OF YOU! come on man, get real.

as for DJ, he's a good dude and lost his cool also but in a way more productive way. and "if you were nailed for 50 km/h over"? thanks for the assumption also. you are probably the type of guy that got wet over this new law i presume, which is fine, we all have our opinions but i'd like for you people to get a little information and insight before you start making comments about my situation. so yeah, thanks for the motivation Rob but i don't think i really wanna hear anymore.

ha ha... I gotta laugh.. (shaking my head)

OK.. G,
    Rob's is a good guy too... Nothing like what you are describing. (I don't know him, but have read several of his posts, and I agree with just about all of them), and mostly, he's just trying to help.

Yes there are too many assumptions...

Can't we all just get along...

Around here, young and stupid seem to be synonyms in most cases.

I guess you missed the whole part where I qualified my comments by saying, "If it's the cop..." huh? You also missed the word "if" which makes my comment conditional regarding your charge. The third thing that you missed is that I was one of the people who raised the red flag about the new law here, if not THE first.

R.I.F. bubba