is it illegal to warn other motorists of cops ahead? - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: is it illegal to warn other motorists of cops ahead?

Re: is it illegal to warn other motorists of cops ahead?

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Don't forget radio. Martin Streak of CFNY (102.1 The Edge) is a motorcycle supporter. He reminds drivers to watch for motorcyclists during summer.

Vlad beat me to it with posting that article, but i'm curious to know what the outcome might have been had the charge been obstruction of justice or improperly operating headlights. ("head beams" - nice how they say which ones, eh?!?!??! ) I wonder how obstruction of justice would be retaliated in court ..... "but I was trying to help by telling people to stop speeding. Isn't that what is right?!?!??!" LOL!
    Sorry, I try not to think of CFNY these days

As Smokeandapancake already said, it would be "obstruct police", unless you were trying to bribe the cop in court prior to your trial. One obvious defence would be that it isn't against the law to tell people to stop breaking the law, though flashing lights has been the universal signal for "police ahead", for decades.

I would be more interested in hearing what would happen if police were asked to justify why they are running a speed trap on such-and-such a road, at a given time. Frequently the positioning of speed traps makes no sense at all. For instance, I live adjacent to a school zone. Why would police set up a speed trap in such an area, at 10:00pm, as I've seen on many occasions? To protect the children who are attending night school?
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Re: is it illegal to warn other motorists of cops ahead?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    I would be more interested in hearing what would happen if police were asked to justify why they are running a speed trap on such-and-such a road, at a given time. Frequently the positioning of speed traps makes no sense at all. For instance, I live adjacent to a school zone. Why would police set up a speed trap in such an area, at 10:00pm, as I've seen on many occasions? To protect the children who are attending night school?
    Me too. Ever seen a speed trap when it's raining? Or when it's freezing? The more dangerous it is to speed, the less likely you'll find a speed trap.

One of my many pet peeves is the speed trap on Yonge by the entrance of the Mount Pleasant cemetery. No crosswalks or intersections for 500m, fences on both sides, next to no pedestrian traffic, straight road, perfect visibility due to the dip. Who are you going to endanger by going 10 over? Vampires from the cemetery?

Another one is Allen Road speed trap. Try convincing me that it's there for public safety - not even a raccoon can cross there...
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine