Alberta

Thread: Alberta

Alberta

Been spending a great deal of time in Alberta lately for work - Edmonton and Calgary.

We may think we have it bad here, but the photo radar in Alberta is just crazy. Everybody does the speed limit exactly. There are major highways that are 80km/h speed limits and that's exactly what people are doing. It seems insane - 3 and 4 lane highways.

Even on other city streets that are 60km/h, no one is going any faster.

Someone also told me the base ticket is $170. Not sure if that is true, but that's what I was told.

Doesn't seem so bad to me here now..

Angus..
    "The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites."

- Thomas Jefferson

Re: Alberta

It's easy to find somewhere that's worse. Try finding somewhere that's BETTER
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    It's easy to find somewhere that's worse. Try finding somewhere that's BETTER
    NL

... when it comes to this traffic nonsense.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Scotian_Lotion

NS and NB... 110 limit on divided highways with grass median.

On parts of the TCH and other highways that aren't even divided and just 2-lanes (one lane for each direction), it's still 100km/h.

See a cop? ****** it... run. They don't have helicopters out there and in most cases, not enough of a police force to put together much of a chase.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotian_Lotion View Post
    On parts of the TCH and other highways that aren't even divided and just 2-lanes (one lane for each direction), it's still 100km/h.
    No kidding... most of the 80 km/hr highways around here are the same size as 100 km/hr highways back home. And nowhere near as twisty and hilly.

Done a lot of driving aroudn the East coast as well. You guys are right, open highways with 110km/h limits. It's pretty nice.

Driving through Halifax and the radio is talking about a huge backup over a bridge (of course the one I am heading towards). I get to the bridge and they were right, there was a back up. I waited maybe 5 minutes in slow traffic and then free sailing.

Traffic has a different meaning there than here.

Angus..
    "The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites."

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Angus Argyle View Post
    Traffic has a different meaning there than here.
    It forced me to move 2kms away from my work... I wasn't dealing with it very well here... lol.

Now I will go many km's out of my way to avoid heavy traffic areas... lol.

PS: The money I save on gas is crazy... and I only had a 20 min drive before.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotian_Lotion View Post
    NS and NB... 110 limit on divided highways with grass median.

See a cop? ****** it... run. They don't have helicopters out there and in most cases, not enough of a police force to put together much of a chase.
    I'm from NB. RCMP are both highway and city cops there. They don't stop chasing you just because you manage to get out of town and their comm network is pretty good. To top that off, many of the current RCMP used to be local cop good ol' boys and still handle things the same way that they always have.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Scotian_Lotion

It's the same in Nova Scotia.

Depends where you're at. The detachment where I lived... had two cars. You drive by the shop... if both cars are in the driveway, you're good to go.

I don't give a sh*t how good their comm network is. The next nearest RCMP campout is 45+ minutes away in either direction.

I was out there in July... you think if I was anywhere remotely close to my parents house (which is in buttfu*ck nowhere), you think I'd not get there before they could catch up to me? Hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    It forced me to move 2kms away from my work... I wasn't dealing with it very well here... lol.

Now I will go many km's out of my way to avoid heavy traffic areas... lol.

PS: The money I save on gas is crazy... and I only had a 20 min drive before.
    That's a good plan. I live 7kms from my work. When the office moved from Warden and Ellesmere ( I lived at Warden and Sheppard ) to DVP and Wynford, I moved to Danforth and Woodbine to get closer as well.

People that commute are crazy. They have bigger houses and more lawn to mow, but spend way less time there. I spend 20 minutes driving a day, I can walk to the grocery store, subway, parks for the kid. Can't think of a better way to live.

- Thomas Jefferson

I'm from NS too, and the speed limits seem much more realistic than here. I was recently in Ireland (the Republic of, ie: southern) and found their approach was even cooler. There were a few speed cameras around Dublin on some of the "M" roads (motorways/highways), but the speed limit on those was 120 km/hr.

But it was the 'N' roads (national roads, I believe) that blew me away. These roads have a speed limit of 100 km/hr. The closest equivalent around here I can think of is maybe highway 7, except they are usually half or one third the width. And the speed limit is literally fixed; they don't lower it for bad corners, hills or narrow lanes. The "N" roads range from basically 2 lanes in each direction down to a single lane in each direction where the lane is so friggin narrow that your wheels are touching both the centre line and the fog line at the same time, with either a dropoff or a stone wall beside you. And this is all at a speed limit of 100 km/hr.

Basically, it is up to you to pick a safe speed, and the legal limit is so high that there's almost no chance of getting a ticket outside of town. Outside of Dublin I never saw even a single police car on the "N" roads in the entire week I was there.
    WeeStrom!

Buy a radar dectector ..... photo radar is easy to avoid since its constant on.

And they are legal there which takes some of the fun out of it but it gives you more choices.

My experience with Alberta drivers is they go like hell on the straights but go 20 ks below the psl on the curves.... dont get much practise I guess.
    Last edited by spankayf; 12-04-2007 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spankayf View Post

And they are legal there which takes some of the fun out of it but it gives you more choices.

My experience with Alberta drivers is they go like hell on the straights but go 20 ks below the psl on the curves.... dont get much practise I guess.
    Exactly
    Exactly
    Exactly... except going like hell on the city highways (ie Deerfoot in Calgary).... they always go slow there.

"Bike" Magazine did a review on some GPS units and most of the ones they tested had the photo radars built in to the map. Basically, if one comes close it shows on the gps and you slow down... easy peazy

Wonder if you can get that there??

Quote Originally Posted by caddy39 View Post
    "Bike" Magazine did a review on some GPS units and most of the ones they tested had the photo radars built in to the map. Basically, if one comes close it shows on the gps and you slow down... easy peazy

Wonder if you can get that there??
    There's a very useful custom POI for Canadian Speedtraps and Red lite cameras at the GPS Passion website.

The problem is they have mobile vans as well that they park on the side of the road

Quote Originally Posted by spankayf View Post
    Not really. Problem is that they shoot you from behind after you have already passed. Detectors don't work that well. I had one and by the time it lit up it was too late. You get pretty good at spotting them though. 10 years in Calgary and I've only been popped twice.

They even send you the pics. lol