Winter Driving Practice

Thread: Winter Driving Practice

Winter Driving Practice

"Now is a good opportunity to head out to an empty parking lot and practice your winter driving techniques to understand how your car works in the snow. Just watch out for curbs that may be covered in snow or for the light poles."

This is a rough quote from Cam Wooley that I heard on 680 News last night. So, it looks like parking lot practice is on.
    Please promote spelling and grammar:
    www.engrish.com

Re: Winter Driving Practice

Heh. This all coming from the guy who is so against drifting and stuff, is now condoning going to someone else's property, trespass, and learn how to drift your car.

Cam is a twit and needs to be canned seeing as he is a poor poor police officer.

Nites

A sucker play in order to test the ability to charge people for stunting on private property?
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

roadtrip to Cam's house to practice winter driving on his lawn?

Andrew - Scarberia

I believe he's referring to minivans, station wagons, and mid-sized sedans. Sports cars or tuned imports are still not allowed to stunt in parking lots. Hasn't this already been made clear? He's only worried about the street racers!

Gosh! You guys just don't get it!

--- D

Thanks for the advice duster.
    I just borrowed my moms minivan and did a few test stops and side slides in the opp parking lot.
    They all came out hootin and hollerin as i was leaving.
    I guess they were cheering me on for my amazing driving skills.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_070455_e.htm
    Section 3, point 2 -
    "Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to cause some or all of its tires to lose traction with the surface of the highway while turning."

...depending on how this is interpreted, this completely responsible, preparation for winter may earn you the Bill 203 treatment.

From what I"ve read in the Blueline forum, most police seem to agree that parking lots are covered under the HTA, I have no idea if a judge would agree or not ...but does it really matter when you're walking for a week and your insurance company is bending you over?.

...some of you are no doubt saying "...there's no way a reasonable police officer would do that" and you're right... but police are human and can and will make mistakes and not all of them are reasonable... and when that mistake costs you ~ $6k - $20k in fines, impound fees and insurance increases with absolutely no mechanism to rectify mistakes and/or over-zealous prosecution it's a painful lesson.

I'm a huge supporter of practicing winter driving in a safe environment like parking lots, provided there are no parked cars and/or innocent bystanders in the immediate area but be careful out there... You never know when this random tax might find you.
    If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face - Rage Against The Machine