Laws Hindering Law Enforcement!!!

Thread: Laws Hindering Law Enforcement!!!

Laws Hindering Law Enforcement!!!

Yes that's right... that is what our good ole ex RCMP head has come out and said....

Former RCMP commissioner Giuliano Zaccardelli says laws governing the Mounties and Canada's spy agency are putting the security of Canadians at risk.

and then....

"I know you may have to use a bit of an autocratic style to make this happen. But sometimes to get things done, you do have to be a bit autocratic and … force the change of culture."
    And these people wonder where the public outrage comes from sometimes...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/...-airindia.html
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Re: Laws Hindering Law Enforcement!!!

This is a huge step in the wrong direction. Times are just going to keep getting more interesting.

Angus...
    "The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites."

- Thomas Jefferson

Banned

Talk about a vague quote... they don't even explain which laws he's talking about and what his proposed changes are. As far as I can tell he's just peeved at restrictions placed on how the RCMP and CSIS share information. It may not have much to do with the average Joe at the end of the day.

Taken in context, I believe that he was talking about at an interdepartmental level. However, if you REALLY want to be afraid, Google "Canadian anti-terrorism laws." We're just lucky that our government tends to be more wishy-washy than that of the US.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Taken in context, I believe that he was talking about at an interdepartmental level. However, if you REALLY want to be afraid, Google "Canadian anti-terrorism laws." We're just lucky that our government tends to be more wishy-washy than that of the US.
    I understand about the context of his statements, but for somebody in charge to have the midset of autocratic change over society and culture... it boggles my mind
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    I understand about the context of his statements, but for somebody in charge to have the midset of autocratic change over society and culture... it boggles my mind
    People who live regimented lives or work in a regimented environment (military, law enforcement, etc.) tend to be somewhat confused and frustrated by aspects of life that aren't so controlled. I guess, because I tend to see things in a rather black and white way myself, I have some understanding for this mindset. Fortunately for me, my own black and white view includes a fair bit of civil libertarianism, or my views might mirror theirs.

We have controls on such things for a reason. This is something that I recently wrote on another, US message board about such things:

Herein lies the problem: The 'authorities' want to do something, but know that they'll be opposed at every turn by civil libertarians, or just plain thinking people. We have in incident, like the regrettable shooting of an innocent Jane Creba, and they pounce on it "for public safety." The loss of personal privacy is directly proportional to the magnitude of the event. We have a shooting and get cameras in public places. You have 9/11 and people are damned near ready to tear up The Constitution.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Herein lies the problem: The 'authorities' want to do something, but know that they'll be opposed at every turn by civil libertarians, or just plain thinking people. We have in incident, like the regrettable shooting of an innocent Jane Creba, and they pounce on it "for public safety." The loss of personal privacy is directly proportional to the magnitude of the event. We have a shooting and get cameras in public places. You have 9/11 and people are damned near ready to tear up The Constitution.
    You make a very good point, and a lot of these laws use the foot-in-the-door technique. Get one law passed, and it's a lot easier to amend it later to become more draconian. Historically we can look at income taxes (supposed to be removed after the war), copyright law (initial 20 year limit extended to 95 years), DMCA, PATRIOT, etc. I know these are US examples, but I'm sure there are enough Canadian examples as well.

Speaking of CCTV cameras in public places, Great Britain has by far the most such cameras in the world. It turns out that after an initial period, they did NOT reduce crime in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by croco View Post
    You make a very good point, and a lot of these laws use the foot-in-the-door technique. Get one law passed, and it's a lot easier to amend it later to become more draconian. Historically we can look at income taxes (supposed to be removed after the war), copyright law (initial 20 year limit extended to 95 years), DMCA, PATRIOT, etc. I know these are US examples, but I'm sure there are enough Canadian examples as well.

Speaking of CCTV cameras in public places, Great Britain has by far the most such cameras in the world. It turns out that after an initial period, they did NOT reduce crime in the long term.
    Income tax, in Canada, was brought in during the last couple of years of WWI in order to pay for the war effort. I'd like to see the balance sheets, to see if we've finished paying for it yet.

On our campus we have dozens, perhaps even hundreds, of security cameras. I have no problem with this as they are targeted upon public areas, entrances, and exits, on ostensibly private property in a high crime area. If I walk 10 feet off campus I am under the scrutiny of Police cameras that are far less discriminating. If a shooting can happen in Yonge-Dundas Square within 50 metres of several police officers, then I have my doubts about the efficacy of CCTV cameras.

Gh0sT

Cameras only work in the aftermath. They can't defend you in the moment. Like a police officer being in the right place, at the right time.

What's the big deal. He's only talking about changing the laws concerning exchanging information between different agencies?

Speaking of CCTV cameras in public places, Great Britain has by far the most such cameras in the world. It turns out that after an initial period, they did NOT reduce crime in the long term.[/quote]

Cameras don't do much to prevent crimes these days but they go a long way in helping to solve them.
    ROADRASH - A mid winter skin condition caused by the stress of not riding my bike!!
    http://madleyphotography.com