Traction

Thread: Traction

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Traction

This regulation gets me

"Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to cause some or all of its tires to lose traction with the surface of the highway while turning."

I got it from here http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=46269

How can you turn a bike or cage without losing traction?!?

Re: Traction

If you're losing traction every time that you make a turn, then you're going too fast. It's actually quite easy to avoid this in most conditions.

They're talking about "steering the rear" and doing burn-outs, for the most part.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I sure hope you can turn a bike without losing traction!

As Rob said, they're just preventing drifting and burnouts
    2009 Hypermotard 1100

I'd like to know how I can "indicate an intention" to do anything while I'm driving, besides using my turn signals to "indicate my intention" to turn. Are the police going to be reading my mind now? How will they know if I'm driving in a manner that indicates my intention to lose traction, or if I'm driving in a manner that indicates my intention to stop for groceries on my way home?

--- D

Quote Originally Posted by Duster929 View Post
    I'd like to know how I can "indicate an intention" to do anything while I'm driving, besides using my turn signals to "indicate my intention" to turn. Are the police going to be reading my mind now? How will they know if I'm driving in a manner that indicates my intention to lose traction, or if I'm driving in a manner that indicates my intention to stop for groceries on my way home?

--- D
    It's usually pretty obvious, though it's still a judgement call from an officer whether or not you receive immediate punishment, which is ridiculous in my books.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    It's usually pretty obvious, though it's still a judgement call from an officer whether or not you receive immediate punishment, which is ridiculous in my books.
    It's the "usually" part that gives me the creeps. No one is going to take issue with cases that are obvious, but it's the cases closer to the line, where maybe it isn't so obvious, that concerns me.

We've beaten this one to death. I know your position and I think we're in full agreement.

I'm not worried about doing burnouts and wheelies. I'm more worried that in the winter if I slide my car around a corner some overzealous cop is going to tell me I'm stunt driving.... But I guess we'll see how this shakes out.

--- D

Banned

I'm not worried about doing burnouts and wheelies. I'm more worried that in the winter if I slide my car around a corner some overzealous cop is going to tell me I'm stunt driving.... But I guess we'll see how this shakes out.
    Bingo.

Also, I imagine the recent surge in the popularity of drifting has a lot to do with that snippet from the law. Moreso than burnouts or donuts I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    This regulation gets me

How can you turn a bike or cage without losing traction?!?

Is this a trick question?, and if it's not, how many times can you beat a dead horse?

I'm surprised that people even reply to questions that keep on getting asked in different ways.

I'm also surprised that Rob MacLennan & other regulars keep answering dumb questions...

Btw i'm a noob, should i get a busa?

Quote Originally Posted by cybernation View Post
    Is this a trick question?, and if it's not, how many times can you beat a dead horse?
    Now, is THAT a trick question? I think if you want an answer to that you should take a look at the "will the airplane fly" thread. That is the Olympics of dead-horse beating, and I'm pretty sure I got a silver medal in that one.

I just can't help myself.

--- D

Quote Originally Posted by cybernation View Post

I'm surprised that people even reply to questions that keep on getting asked in different ways.

I'm also surprised that Rob MacLennan & other regulars keep answering dumb questions...

Btw i'm a noob, should i get a busa?
    If it's an honest but stupid question, they get their answers. If it's a troll, then he beats his keyboard to flinders in frustration, for not getting a rise out of us

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

I'm not sure that I should even put this out with the number of snipers sitting in the weeds waiting for something to shoot at.

My understanding is that if you lean a bike over you have used up some of your traction. i.e. lost traction. I don't mean all your traction causing you to drift or skid, but a small amount of traction.

Therefore, every time you intend to turn, you are going to lose a small amount of traction.

Does logic then say that if you intend to turn, you intend to lose traction and are breaking the law.

If that is the case, we could write our MPPs and state that we cannot ride our bikes, or drive our cages for that matter, without breaking the law. This might be a better way to have the law changed than everyone riding at 50 over.

If you think the above is trolling or a dead horse or even stupid that's o.k. because I don't intend to say anything else with regards to this.

p.s. no you shouldn't get a busa. Go take a course instead.

Quote Originally Posted by sportbiker_kev View Post
    I sure hope you can turn a bike without losing traction!

As Rob said, they're just preventing drifting and burnouts
    And Backing it in.

Nites

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    I'm not sure that I should even put this out with the number of snipers sitting in the weeds waiting for something to shoot at.

My understanding is that if you lean a bike over you have used up some of your traction. i.e. lost traction. I don't mean all your traction causing you to drift or skid, but a small amount of traction.

Therefore, every time you intend to turn, you are going to lose a small amount of traction.

Does logic then say that if you intend to turn, you intend to lose traction and are breaking the law.

If that is the case, we could write our MPPs and state that we cannot ride our bikes, or drive our cages for that matter, without breaking the law. This might be a better way to have the law changed than everyone riding at 50 over.

If you think the above is trolling or a dead horse or even stupid that's o.k. because I don't intend to say anything else with regards to this.

p.s. no you shouldn't get a busa. Go take a course instead.
    I think you are misunderstanding the concept of "using up traction" in a turn. It doesn't mean you are losing any traction, it just means you are using some of your traction in a "side-to-side" direction when you're turning, so there is not as much traction available for accelerating or stopping. You don't actually "lose traction" with the ground when you are turning. You are taking the concept of "having less traction available when turning" too literally.

--- D

I think you are misunderstanding the concept of "using up traction" in a turn. It doesn't mean you are losing any traction, it just means you are using some of your traction in a "side-to-side" direction when you're turning, so there is not as much traction available for accelerating or stopping. You don't actually "lose traction" with the ground when you are turning. You are taking the concept of "having less traction available when turning" too literally.

--- D
    ... and when the lateral forces induced in turning overwhelm the frictional forces between the road and the tire, you "lose traction" as defined in this law.