new laws to hibernate

Thread: new laws to hibernate

new laws to hibernate

i bet we dont hear too much between now and spring about people being snagged under the new rules but warm weather will come and it'll be like a new law all over again.
    my only point is watch out this spring! i'll bet enforcement will be up initially and people wont be talking their way out of anything!
    try to not make the headlines!

Re: new laws to hibernate

Quote Originally Posted by leedufour View Post
    i bet we dont hear too much between now and spring about people being snagged under the new rules but warm weather will come and it'll be like a new law all over again.
    my only point is watch out this spring! i'll bet enforcement will be up initially and people wont be talking their way out of anything!
    You're going to hear about the "new and tougher" laws regarding drinking and driving, as we come into the holiday season.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

with all the bottled up emotions building up, i am sure a lot of riders going to go nuts for the first few weeks of nice weather. I haven't touched the bike in 10 days and i am already going nuts.

Nas

What might also happen is that the cops may re-think strategy over the winter in preparation for the spring and we may see more targeting of certain groups (sportbikes, modded cars) than what we did this fall because there won't be the media attention like we had.

The "shock and awe" has been done and now it may be back to business as usual but armed with the big hurt now.

People always get excited in the spring. Tons of ppl driving like morons.
    "Fantino has been quoted saying he is "satisfied" with the 41 per cent conviction rate under the new law. I'm glad he's not running a brain surgery school" - Kenzie

Kriptik Riders: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2317743102
    Fighting a Ticket: http://www.roadwarriors.ca/ontario_traffic_tickets_speeding_tickets_tutorial
    http://www.naseinvestors.com
    http://www.jafrum.com

I'm not so sure about these laws being put into hibernation for the winter. I had to go to Peterborough to visit a customer today, and between Etobicoke and the exit for 35/115 I saw more police than ever. None along 35/115 itself though.

Gh0sT

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    You're going to hear about the "new and tougher" laws regarding drinking and driving, as we come into the holiday season.
    I remember this year, I was taking my final spin on the bike. On Bloor St., from Mississauga to Toronto, I was stopped THREE times by RIDE in less than one half hour. Metro police refused to believe I hadn't been drinking. I said, "How many bikers do you know, that would go out, get hammered, and then go through the headaches of putting on all their safety gear to go for a spin?". I eventually had to take off my helmet, and let them smell my breath. It was totally ridiculous. THREE times on the SAME route.

Quote Originally Posted by Gh0sT View Post
    I remember this year, I was taking my final spin on the bike. On Bloor St., from Mississauga to Toronto, I was stopped THREE times by RIDE in less than one half hour. Metro police refused to believe I hadn't been drinking. I said, "How many bikers do you know, that would go out, get hammered, and then go through the headaches of putting on all their safety gear to go for a spin?". I eventually had to take off my helmet, and let them smell my breath. It was totally ridiculous. THREE times on the SAME route.
    Given the statistics out of the US, they should stop every motorcyclist (or at least cruiser rider) a dozen times a day to check for impairment. Have you seen the numbers on how many rider fatalities involved the rider being impaired?
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I think we'll see this law pulled out again and applied to people driving SUVs at 120kph in snowstorms. Once there's a bunch of winter accidents Fantino will come out and start describing how this kind of behaviour qualifies as "stunt driving". The beauty of this new law is its flexibility in how it can be applied to any driving behaviour that the police don't like.

They're not letting this cash cow hibernate for the winter. Gotta get that plane in the air!

--- D

I'm starting to miss the east european traffic cops now. At least back there you knew that whatever you were doing you could just give them a bribe and they'd let you off the hook. It was simply the cost of doing business.

Quote Originally Posted by croco View Post
    I'm starting to miss the east european traffic cops now. At least back there you knew that whatever you were doing you could just give them a bribe and they'd let you off the hook. It was simply the cost of doing business.
    a lot of third world countries are like that, it is not corruption, but the government doesn't pay enough salary to support their families. so they need to make money some other ways.

I wonder what they all think about tires losing traction in the winter!

If that is the case, pretty much every car on the road last week could have been impounded. Think of how much money that would bring the government!

This whole new law just makes me puke. In the end, I have no problem with stiffer fines/penalties for gross negligence of the law. But to put so much discretion in the hand of the d***head coppers AND allow them to impound your car without due process in court is just braindead.

The worst part is that, we the public, allow the government to do this to us.
    Last edited by Snobike Mike; 12-20-2007 at 09:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by masalma View Post
    a lot of third world countries are like that, it is not corruption, but the government doesn't pay enough salary to support their families. so they need to make money some other ways.
    That and they probably realize that this is not the end of civilization as we know it...
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

theres been three every week listed in the local paper here charged with 50 over, so no it aint going away