accelerating from stopped - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: accelerating from stopped

Re: accelerating from stopped

Quote Originally Posted by eightyeightfifty View Post
    If a cop gives you a ticket, you DID break the law, dumb or not
    Well, you "might" have broken the law.

There is way to much officer discretion nowadays. Remember, there is absolutely nothing (other than conscience) stopping any cop from pulling you over, and charging you with some ridiculous 172 infraction whether you did it or not. That doesn't mean that all cops are going around trumping up false charges, but too often what you get charged with is not what happened, and of course under 172 you're toast anyways regardless of the outcome of your court date.

The fact that POs have that much authority baffles me.

I personally know/knew two metro street cops who I went to grade school and high school with. One dropped out of high school in grade 11 and went to college as a mature student many years later and became a cop. The other finished high school and did nothing with his life for a few years and eventually managed to become a cop.

Let's not overlook the people behind the badge. How do they ever give these people the power to decide how we live our lives? because a lot of times they use their "discretion" to screw us over for no reason.

That is like asking your local grocery bagger for investment advice.

Many POs are great people and many are well educated, but I can guarantee you the smart ones are behind a desk solving real crime.

Re: accelerating from stopped

Well first of all if you're smart and you decide to accelerate as fast as you can you should know better and not limit yourself to the speed limit Laws are made so that they could be broken and it's only crime if you get caught

Quote Originally Posted by leedufour View Post
    what do you think a cop will do, under the new laws, if you accelerate from a light or stop sign as fast as you can but only up to the speed limit.
    forget dangerous or reckless driving, i'm more interested in the stunting or racing aspect.
    maybe also consider accelerating quickly, way faster than cars, but not as fast as possible.