would you buy a new bike from suzuki of newmarket?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would you buy a new bike from suzuki of newmarket?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Markoots

would you buy a new bike from suzuki of newmarket?

so ive been reading mostly negetive things about s.o.n. i was thinking of buying a brand new bike there. is it the service that just sucks?

Re: would you buy a new bike from suzuki of newmarket?

I have not had any personal issues with them.

But from reading all the threads about peoples bad experiences with them, I would NOT take any chances if I was in the market for a new or used bike.

I don't know if its only the service that sucks or anything else but as a whole the place looks like it needs to re-engineer its business process.

"We all undertake a modicum of risk everytime we thumb the starter - it's just inherent to the sport."

-Manners are free, everone should have them-

Markoots

damn. thanks for the heads up. is suzuki of brampton any better?

I've bought a new bike from S.O.N. and never had any issues. I took the bike home, checked it over and away I went ... all good.

If you buy a bike from them check it over well when you get it. Hell, check it over well no matter who you buy it from.

Markoots

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    I've bought a new bike from S.O.N. and never had any issues. I took the bike home, checked it over and away I went ... all good.

If you buy a bike from them check it over well when you get it. Hell, check it over well no matter who you buy it from.
    ya thats true. i dont know too much about what to look for though. what kind of things did u check?

Quote Originally Posted by Markoots View Post
    ya thats true. i dont know too much about what to look for though. what kind of things did u check?
    If you really read through all the posts about that dealership you will find a few from people who purchased new bikes that weren't setup properly. One guy had his bike trailered home to Whitby and than realized they never setup the speedo properly and they told him to bring it all the way back so they could fix it. They are charging for a pdi too so I don't see why something like that would get by.

I had my bike serviced there and will never go back for anything but buying filters. They did a terrible job on my bike and the only reason I wouldn't buy a bike from there is because they have to put the things together. Most of the salesmen there were pretty good and they will give you a great deal, but if you do buy from there do like Rocket said.

The bikes are about 80%-90% assembled when they get to the dealers but the major things to check would be -

the wheels (make sure axles are put in properly and tightened to factory specs)

visually inspect all fluids(engine oil, coolant, brake fluids)

air pressure in tires

chain tension

battery connections and charge

I know there is a mad desire to ride it home from the dealer but I would trailer it home and check everything before I ride. I've heard too many horror stories about bikes improperly PDI'ed ... and not only by S.O.N.

damn. thanks for the heads up. is suzuki of brampton any better?
    Again, I have not done business with SOB, but it seems there are no real horror stories about them. I have researched both dealerships (SON,SOB), and it seems these "superdealerships" (both cars and bikes) do not have the same level of service that a smaller dealership has. The "superdealerships" do seem to sell for less however.

Personally, from what my research tells me, I would buy from SOB, but not from SON.

SeaMe

Do they employ a or some certified motorcycle mechanics or do the certified auto mechanics take a crack at them?

How about the statement that SON have 5 Million in 2 wheeled inventory. So where are the 500 or so bikes then? That is an astronomical amount of current inventory. Many car dealerships alone do not carry that in new cars and trucks, much less motorcycles. Hey, that is what Sam says in the SON ads on 'A' Channel on the TV commercials.

I'd buy it from them, but while buying, make sure they know you're aware of the reputation. Then look it over very carefully upon picking it up. Then, don't take it for service there. Fix the thing yourself.
    Wherever you may roam
    May you own your road.

Quote Originally Posted by seame View Post
    Again, I have not done business with SOB, but it seems there are no real horror stories about them. I have researched both dealerships (SON,SOB), and it seems these "superdealerships" (both cars and bikes) do not have the same level of service that a smaller dealership has. The "superdealerships" do seem to sell for less however.

Personally, from what my research tells me, I would buy from SOB, but not from SON.

SeaMe
    I agree, I checked out both SON and SOB -SOB was a heck of a lot cheaper and the salesperson Tom was really nice and helpful

Last year I bought a brand new 07 SV from SON and never had any issues. I rode it off the lot back down to toronto with a couple buddies on theirs and everything was in great working order.
    Mind you some of the people in the office are not the best people to deal with but I had no issues with anyone else that worked in the store, but when we asked if the guy who signs of on the sales could do any anything for me because I was paying cash the reply was pretty weak. He said they only make money off when they do financing and that there is nothing that they could do at all. If i didnt want that bike so badly then maybe I should have taken my cash somewhere else to someone that could do something, but lesson learned. I definately would support the fact that once you put down your deposit you are alot less of a priority than anyone else which is a negative.

Marcus at the service desk was always really good to deal with and so was the woman that worked up in the merchandise store. She even let me take a part to see if it would fit on my bike and then come back to pay for it. I dont know if she works there now however.
    I had all the "recommended" services done at all the recommended intervals up until I sold the bike last september with about 14000k on it. Never had one issue whatsoever.
    This wasnt my first bike, but it was my first year putting on 14k on in a summer and it ran beautifully.
    Now I would like to know if I should take my new bike there this year? What are these horror stories that Im starting to read about??
    Just bought an 07 gsxr750 a month or so ago with 3000k on it and Im thinking that I should follow the service schedule again... where is a better place to go for this then? SOB?

so ive been reading mostly negetive things about s.o.n. i was thinking of buying a brand new bike there. is it the service that just sucks?
    I would buy it, but bring my tools and go over everything in the parking lot before riding away

I have not dealt with SON, but something I learned in life is "Don't do business with someone you don't trust".

There are too many horror stories with SON to detail here, but it seems that once they get your deposit, they don't care about you anymore. There are too many stories of buyers putting down deposits, then when they show up for their bike on the promissed delivery date, the SON employee tells them "who are you?". The bike was either sold to someone else, or not settup. Any dealer that forces you to get a lawyer to force them to do what they are legally obligated to do (ie. fix a bike they didn't setup right in the first place) is not trustworthy.

The only way I would buy a bike thru them is with no deposit. Get the deal in writing (showing all details, and the OTD price) then show up on the promised delivery date with the full amount. Check it out first before you give them the money. They probably would resist doing this, but if you walk out, I bet they will call you back.

I understand that some people have "lucked-out", and got away with a good deal. I personally don't think it is worth the risk for a couple hundred dollars. It's better to get a written estimate from them, then take that estimate to another dealer (some will price-match, others won't).

SeaMe
    Last edited by seame; 03-03-2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: add a line

I'M looking at buying used bike from them. They start off with a good price then they whack you with all kinds of fees. 389.00 admin; 199.00 financing charge; 135.00 safety; are all these fees standard according to your personal experience with other dealers or is this simply their own set-up. Also they don't even offer a thirty day warranty. I also asked them for a used vehicle info package and they looked at me like I was from outer space.
    The final price is still below comparable bikes available in the marketplace but if that bike gives me any trouble.................someone will be sleeping with the fishes.

Quote Originally Posted by zenjeno View Post
    I'M looking at buying used bike from them. They start off with a good price then they whack you with all kinds of fees. 389.00 admin; 199.00 financing charge; 135.00 safety; are all these fees standard according to your personal experience with other dealers or is this simply their own set-up. Also they don't even offer a thirty day warranty. I also asked them for a used vehicle info package and they looked at me like I was from outer space.
    The final price is still below comparable bikes available in the marketplace but if that bike gives me any trouble.................someone will be sleeping with the fishes.
    Don`t.
    Do your research on this site and see how many problems Op have had.

Did they take your deposit before informing you about all of these extra fees ?

If so that would be very dishonest (always ask for all of the costs in writing- with the VIN on the paperwork - before you hand over your deposit)

SeaMe

If the "final price is still below comparable bikes available in the marketplace", what are you complaining about? You have the option of not accepting the deal and/or bargaining for a better deal. Nobody is holding a gun to your head saying you have to buy from SON.

kevekev

I'd avoid them. They don't seem to care about keeping Suzuki customers. I went in today to look at a new M90, and the first question the sales guy asked me was - Do you have money put down on a deposit? And they didn't even have the lowest price - Sturgess In Hamilton did by $400.

Also, I was kind of suprised a big dealership didn't have any ride days or demo bikes. Where as Sturgess was open to it if you were a serious buyer. To top it all off they wouldn't even fire one up out back so I could at least hear it. The worst part was the sales guy saying - "Why would want to test ride the bike, once you've rode a bike, you've rode a bike their all pretty much the same."

In my opinion if I had to pay a little more to for customer service I would, and if I'm gonna buy something for $11k, I at least expect them to fire it up so I can hear it.

Sorry for the rant - Kev

Just picked up an 08 GSXR 600 from them and have no regrets. I read all the threads on them but I like to make up my own mind, although I appreciate people posting there stories so you know what to look out for. Everyone I dealt with there seemed straight up and the purchase went great. I did check out the bike before I rode it to make sure everything looked ok, although I do this with every bike I buy.

Overall it was a good purchase as no one around could touch their prices.