Alarm systems

Thread: Alarm systems

Alarm systems

Hey just bought a 2006 R6 not long ago. Found a pretty good price on insurance, but they require that I install an alarm system in order to receive full coverage. Question is, which alarm would you guys recommend??? I browsed around a bit an noticed prices anywhere from $80 (Gorilla) to $330 (Scorpio w extras)? Thoughts?- thanks in advance.

Re: Alarm systems

You can also look at what they've got on e-bay. They have some lesser-known brands with nice features for about the same price as generic Gorilla alarms. With that being said, if a Gorilla will fulfill the insurance company's requirements, it should be just fine for that and to keep random bums from playing with your bike. If a pro wants to steal your bike, you could have a $500 alarm, but they'll still find a way to take it.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

I've been doing some research as well for an alarm on my bike. In terms of reputation, Scorpio seems to be very well regarded. Gorilla - not so much.

Any feedback from this thread will be very much appreciated - especially since there is such a huge price discepency among them.

Cheers.

dannyboy

I say just buy the cheapest alarm that meets there specifications and be done with it. Alarms are useless, if they want it there gonna take it. The bike is insured and will be replaced. When was the last time anyone cared to look when they heard an alarm going off? I'm sure we've all seen the clips on you tube of the bike being stolen in 20 seconds right off a busy street, alarms are an audible anoyance to the thiefs, not a deterent.

You may want to check with your insurance company. Mine insisted I provide proof that is was installed by a professional motorcycle mechanic or certified security install professional. (such as a kid with a course at Furure Shop) The alarm unit also had to have ignition kill.

Don't spend your money without knowing exactly what the insurance company expects and what proff you will need to provide to them.

Gh0sT

Best one I ever sold. Available through Parts Canada.

http://www.scorpioalarms.com/

I've got a scorpio Si-R500. Had no problems with it. Loud siren, has immobilizer, perimeter sensor (don't use that much), and battery back-up.

It comes with a 2-way FM radio remote that will tell you if anything is happening to your bike (I think it's range is several hundred meters...not sure)

I don't have anything to compare it to, but it hasn't given me any problems. The basic remote has an antenna housing that will crack if you drop it (it will still work, just crazy glue it down), but they do offer an "impact resistant" remote

i have scorpio SR-i500 as well. it's really cool thingy. i have TSR-5 remote and it eats battery like carzy. but other thn that i'm really happy with it so far.
    Sorry - yesterday was the deadline for all complaints

Does the 06 R6 not come with the factory Yamaha theft deterrant systems? I know my 05 R1 will not start unless it has my specific coded key (tried a friends 05 R1 key would not start) and it has the immobilizer installed form the factory. I woul dcheck to see if your R6 does not have the same thing before buying an alarm, although like others have said if the theif wants it they are going to take it.