"salvage" titles??

Thread: "salvage" titles??

"salvage" titles??

I read a post on here where someone claimed you cannot register a bike here in Canada with a "salvage" title. Is this true? I am looking at a bike on ebay right now with a salvage title and this is obviously something I will need to look into first. I do know that I can buy a "branded' car here and then fix it up and then register it as "rebuilt". Would this not apply to bikes as well? This bike is in the States, and I assumed that I could buy it cheap, and then fix it up here and sell it for profit. Anyone with knowledge, please let me know. I have already brought over quite a few vehicles from the states that were not "branded" in any way, and it was pretty easy.

Re: "salvage" titles??

Quote Originally Posted by yamahar1 View Post
    I read a post on here where someone claimed you cannot register a bike here in Canada with a "salvage" title. Is this true? I am looking at a bike on ebay right now with a salvage title and this is obviously something I will need to look into first. I do know that I can buy a "branded' car here and then fix it up and then register it as "rebuilt". Would this not apply to bikes as well? This bike is in the States, and I assumed that I could buy it cheap, and then fix it up here and sell it for profit. Anyone with knowledge, please let me know. I have already brought over quite a few vehicles from the states that were not "branded" in any way, and it was pretty easy.
    You will not be able to register a bike from the states with salvage title in Ontario as per RIV. Make sure it is clear title or you'll get turned away at the border.

you can bring it here, but it won't ever be registerable for street use. It'll be okay as parts bike or track bike though.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

then its changed lately...i know a couple people who have done it in ontario last spring

Da Bridge 06 636, 05 R6, 03 R6, FZR600, CR500R and .....

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    you can bring it here, but it won't ever be registerable for street use. It'll be okay as parts bike or track bike though.
    101%
    Changed this summer with little to no notice...
    Burned alot of people...
    Last edited by FearNoSpeed; 11-24-2007 at 12:26 AM.

Thinkin about it takes all the fun out of it !

not true. you can register it later. look at section 15 in the riv list.

I just called the RIV and they said that I CAN bring a bike over and then register it later. It can only come if it is labeled as "salvage" and not "scrap" or "total loss". This then implies that it can be fixed and labeled as "rebuilt".

You had better re-ask that question at the Ministry of Transport.

I copied this from the importing rules and guidlines. I'm not saying I'm right, because I really dont know. I am only going on what I was told and what I read. I hope this helps.

Salvage Vehicles Imported to Be Rebuilt (U.S. Certified Only)

4. Salvage vehicles that are imported to be rebuilt must be accompanied by a Salvage Certificate of Title issued by a state licensing authority or a licensed insurance provider. For a vehicle to be considered as a rebuildable salvage vehicle, the certificate issued by a state licensing authority or a licensed insurance provider must not carry the designation "parts only," "parts," "junk," "unrebuildable/irreparable," "scrap," or other such nomenclature indicating the vehicle cannot be rebuilt. The designation "total loss" means that the vehicle is damaged beyond reasonable cost of repair, but can be rebuilt.
    5. The vehicle must be identified as admissible on the Transport Canada List of Vehicles Admissible From the United States (CL9203). Qualified salvage vehicles imported to be rebuilt will be processed through the full RIV Program, which involves:
    (a) the importer registering the vehicle into the RIV Program at the time of importation by completing a Vehicle Import Form - Form 1, and presenting a Salvage Certificate of Title from a state licensing authority or a licensed insurance provider to a customs officer;
    (b) rebuilding the vehicle in accordance with provincial/territorial salvage rebuild program guidelines;
    (c) ensuring the vehicle is modified to make it comply with Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; and
    (d) having the final inspection performed by the RIV before the vehicle is presented for licensing by a provincial or territorial licensing authority.

6. The RIV Program registration fee to importers associated with this process is CAN$182 in all provinces except in Quebec where it is CAN$197 (all taxes are included). The vehicle must be rebuilt within one year after being imported into Canada. The vehicle must be fully operational and made Canadian safety-compliant prior to being presented to the RIV for the final inspection. Vehicles may be sold within the 12-month period allotted to make the vehicle Canadian safety-compliant. However, the one-year period will not be extended as a result of ownership transfer. The original importer is responsible for ensuring that the vehicle is made Canadian safety-compliant and presented for RIV inspection

I repeat ... re-ask this question at the Ministry of Transport. Different government departments don't necessarily know what each other are doing. I know there was a recent rule change, and it was Ontario that did it, not RIV which is federal.

"BRIAN P"

after doing MORE research and reading into the ministry of transportion rules, you are absolutley right. The rules have changed and I'm EXTREMELY glad that you cautioned me on this. I would have "attempted" to bring an 07 R6 into Canada, only to have my feet kicked out from underneith me when I realized that it would only be for "parts". I found this from the Ministry. Thank you again SOOOO much. It just goes to show how valuable this site is, and how we watch out for each other.

(this is from there website)
    "Motorcycles that are imported with a brand of SALVAGE or REBUILT. In the past there was no brand of salvage for motorcycles, when the bike was registered in Ontario. Now all imported motorcycles branded, as SALVAGE or REBUILT or equivalent brand must be registered as IRREPARABLE or “parts only” in Ontario after July 16, 2007"

Quote Originally Posted by yamahar1 View Post
    (this is from there website)
    "Motorcycles that are imported with a brand of SALVAGE or REBUILT. In the past there was no brand of salvage for motorcycles, when the bike was registered in Ontario. Now all imported motorcycles branded, as SALVAGE or REBUILT or equivalent brand must be registered as IRREPARABLE or “parts only” in Ontario after July 16, 2007"
    link
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...anding/faq.htm
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+