Drifting - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drifting

Re: Drifting

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    I have been saying this all along... this to me was one of the most worrysome parts of this bill... and it was completely ignored by most (including the media) I am sure there have been brainstorming sessions on how to leverage this newly granted tidbit.
    I'm sure it will be used to harrass people who are actually trying to do their craft in a safe/safer place than the street. So much for encouraging kids to take it to the lot for stunting or take it to the track. I'd like to hope that there is common sense involved with this but I don't have faith anymore. I hope track owners don't ever get on the bad side of the local law. Does the difference of private or public property make a difference in its application?

I have been saying this all along... this to me was one of the most worrysome parts of this bill... and it was completely ignored by most (including the media) I am sure there have been brainstorming sessions on how to leverage this newly granted tidbit.
    I knew that it was under consideration and remembered your comments, but I hadn't managed to find it myself. ANOTHER thing to add to my rants

Perhaps this could be gotten around by forming a formal group of some sort, as a 'business venture', then 'performing on a closed course, with permission of the land owner'?
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Duster929 View Post
    I'm assuming they're going to be applying this to stunting in parking lots. I hope they leave race tracks alone.

--- D
    Yes one prick peel cop told me "I can charge you for doing wheelies on your own ****in driveway"......Never went trought with it, but they just like letting you know what they "could do if they really wanted to".....

Track falls under right place at right time with permission, its written it there somewhere...Along with the parade BS

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Yes one prick peel cop told me "I can charge you for doing wheelies on your own ****in driveway"......Never went trought with it, but they just like letting you know what they "could do if they really wanted to".....

Track falls under right place at right time with permission, its written it there somewhere...Along with the parade BS
    Thats messed up.... What was your response to that?

Imagine... doing donuts in your 92 tempo on your farm... along comes the police and take you license away.

Those guys that have the car with the seats on the hood (around London somewhere) have better watch out... They have been harassed before, but now they can get it even worse.

I wonder what the general public would think if they indeed knew the rammifications of such an addition?
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    This would have probably escalated to the point of me getting tased
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Well at the time I couldnt say much because I was in a bad position to be arguing, I was still under suspension for a Dangerious driving charge...And I did not know that I was not supposed to operate any vechicle anywhere in Ontario, untill that suspension was over.....I did tell him that I thought that it was stupid and I did not believe him...

There was 6 cops there at the time and none of them made a fuss except this guy, and the day before 4 cops came some the same as this day and they called in a supervisor, none had a problem with what we were doing and even watched for about 15min before they were forced to leave because they got a shooting call..Anyways he came over to me and asked for my LIC...And I said Im not riding on the street so I dont need my LIC and its suspended anyways, he went to his car for a min did some reading about me then came back out like rambo...Yelling "you get over here right now your under arrest, Im taken you in".....He said he could charge me for breach because of my charge and the fact I was operating a vechicle.....

Best part was by this time I had him convinced that I was only riding my crf50, and not my stunt sportbike that was there the whole time....And he never even personally saw me riding anything.....He gave me his speach(about what he could do) that all the pricks give me, then let me go like he was my best friend doing me a favor....

Thats the problem with these laws its up to the cop, and you just never know what to expect....Some cops are cool and some are pricks, its like roulette when they pull in. you got one cop all excited saying "you guys can do stoppies" getting on the radio callin all his buddies to come watch. And then you have one running around looking to charge someone....From the on Ive kept an eye out for him, if he comes again Im gone even thou I trailer to the lot....I just cannot deal with an Ahole like that again....

Thats messed up.... What was your response to that?

Imagine... doing donuts in your 92 tempo on your farm... along comes the police and take you license away.

Those guys that have the car with the seats on the hood (around London somewhere) have better watch out... They have been harassed before, but now they can get it even worse.

I wonder what the general public would think if they indeed knew the rammifications of such an addition?
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 11-26-2007 at 12:54 PM.

w/e, just make sure if you do it, to do it in a remote parking lot, where there isnt a lot of streets around it, or people, so that you wont get the cops called on you, and if possible, do it really late at night...
    RR

Quote Originally Posted by Marko G View Post
    w/e, just make sure if you do it, to do it in a remote parking lot, where there isnt a lot of streets around it, or people, so that you wont get the cops called on you, and if possible, do it really late at night...
    That's where and when the cops are most bored and looking for something to do. Late at night, in a remote area without a lot of people around.

--- D

... i guess maybe, but at least they'll probably be more lenient on you b/c its late at night and there is nobody around, so you're not harming anybody
    RR

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Perhaps this could be gotten around by forming a formal group of some sort, as a 'business venture', then 'performing on a closed course, with permission of the land owner'?
    On May 3, you will see that the Canadian Assoc of Rally Sports had made a presentation to ensure that sports events like theirs would not be subject to the 'racing' and 'stunting' definitions. That's why you see the list of exemptions which would also include the autoslalom events in the parking lots. They probably read into the potential ramifications.

What was also disturbing was that the Bill received royal assent before the 'stunting' definitions came out using the same language as used for application of the bill to places other than highway. So the government got an open-ended bill approved and then filled in the details later. It's dishonest and no-one took them to task on it.

Quote Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
    What was also disturbing was that the Bill received royal assent before the 'stunting' definitions came out using the same language as used for application of the bill to places other than highway. So the government got an open-ended bill approved and then filled in the details later. It's dishonest and no-one took them to task on it.
    You know what, I noticed this as well.... is this legal, I would assume yes, but would hope no.... lol.

Would this weeken the application of the post royal assent parts?

Quote Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
    It says here that there are no changes on or after the third reading. Did they put something in there to allow modifications after, or the ability to make stuff up as they go along?

http://www.ontla.on.ca/bills/general...en/govbill.pdf

Third Reading
    - debate is more restricted than at Second Reading and is limited to the contents of the Bill
    - no amendments to text of the Bill may be moved at this stage
    - after debate concludes, Speaker puts question on the motion for Third Reading

Then comes royal assent
    Last edited by eastcoast_gsx; 11-26-2007 at 08:42 PM.

Police can get involved when you are on private property (e.g. Mall parking lot) if it endangers other people or their property, or you are commiting a criminal act. This means that yes, they can charge you if they think you could do damage to other vehicles or damage a light post or are drinking and driving. Simple way around this is get the owner of the property, or property Manager, to write you a letter saying you are allowed to be there and pylon off an area to keep others out.
    If you are on your own personal property, police can not do anything. That means you can be stunting on a bike or in a car, but as long as you are on your own property they can't do a thing except sit there and watch. Although, if you are commiting a criminal act, (e.g. drinking and driving) they can come onto your property because criminal acts can be enforced anywhere. Again, only if you are not endangering other people or their property. If they come onto your property to tell you to stop, they are trespassing and you can ask them to leave.
    Just my two cents.
    Canada is a country that doesn't know where it is going but is determined to set a speed record getting there.

Royal assent on June 4. MPPs voted on a "race", "contest". or "stunt" (to be defined later in a regulation).

"Race", "contest", or "stunt" definitions were made June 27 and filed Aug 15. Since the definitions are a 'regulation', they could be amended without having to get a vote in the house and probably without any notice in the media unless the politicos or cops wanted to publicize.

What's interesting is that the definition of a DUI - .05, .08 - is not a regulation and so any changes would have to be put to the legislature. So if they wanted to drop the limit to .03, a bill would have to be drawn up and go to a vote. If they wanted to make 30+ a "race"/"stunt", change the reg and no vote.

We have "racing"/"stunting" at pretty well par with DUI in terms of penalties but their definitions can be tinkered with much more easily that with DUI.

Am I wrong with these interpretations (I'm not as good as Rob with the research).
    Last edited by zeekat; 11-26-2007 at 09:11 PM.

If you look through the HTA in detail, you will see many places that say, "The Minister shall..." and other, similar wordings.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde