Drifting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drifting

Drifting

I know drifting is illegal under bill 203. My question is, is it also illegal in parking lots? Last winters I did quite a lot of drifting in empty parking lots. It is quite a good training in car handling and responding to unwanted drifts on the road.

Re: Drifting

Ya I've wondered that also. When I was a kid my first winter driving my Dad and I spend a sunday evening in an empty parking lot of snow and ice practicing how to handle the car in a slide or how to correct etc. Its a shame to think that if they had these laws at that time my father and I would be walking home with no liscense rather then going home being better more prepared drivers. Hopefully the officer would show descretion but it seems almost like they get gold stars for everyone they charge under 203 so I doubt you will see descretion shown often.

If you're on private property, with permission or if the owner hasn't complained, you should be OK. That doesn't mean that you wouldn't get rousted. This may also change, if Fantino and co. have their way.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    If you're on private property, with permission or if the owner hasn't complained, you should be OK. That doesn't mean that you wouldn't get rousted. This may also change, if Fantino and co. have their way.
    I was under the impression that due to the new 'stunting' provisions the HTA was extended to private property also.

On a seperate note the government and in lieu of today the Gov should make manditory winter driving programs to teach people the skills of driving in winter under controled circumstances. Its hard to find a lot that you can get written permision cause most owners are scared of lawsuits or any police reprecussions. I know growing up in a small town that it was easy to access lots and people knew each other but it is a shame that most Toronto drivers don't get the opertunity to test the limits of traction on something other than the 401 during rushhour.

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    I was under the impression that due to the new 'stunting' provisions the HTA was extended to private property also.

On a seperate note the government and in lieu of today the Gov should make manditory winter driving programs to teach people the skills of driving in winter under controled circumstances. Its hard to find a lot that you can get written permision cause most owners are scared of lawsuits or any police reprecussions. I know growing up in a small town that it was easy to access lots and people knew each other but it is a shame that most Toronto drivers don't get the opertunity to test the limits of traction on something other than the 401 during rushhour.
    It could be read that way, but I doubt that it would survive a challenge. How far do you take it? No wheelies or slides on dirtbike trails? Still, I wouldn't want to have to be the one to get it bounced.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

It could be read that way, but I doubt that it would survive a challenge. How far do you take it? No wheelies or slides on dirtbike trails? Still, I wouldn't want to have to be the one to get it bounced.
    I call 'not a martyr' lol ya your right they have written the idea of trying to challenge it in court almost out of the process.

Well I guess public parks parking lots is out of the question at 3AM. It is a shame since it really improves driving. This is nothing like slamming my accel pedal to race someone.

im pretty sure private property and public parking lots are off limits to police, and they have no right to intervene... but do the research first, im not 100% sure...
    RR

"172. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway in a race or contest, while performing a stunt or on a bet or wager. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

...and...

"highway" includes a common and public highway, street, avenue, parkway, driveway, square, place, bridge, viaduct or trestle, any part of which is intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles and includes the area between the lateral property lines thereof; ("voie publique")

This would indicate that such activities in a private parking lot SHOULD not be considered such.

Ima keep doing my U-turn/drifts on my private property reguardless......So far the Peel police havent tried to inforce 203 on us in the parking lots....And in TO Im not even concerned about it because those cops seem to be real people, and have alot better things to do then hassle those of us that are just trying to have our fun and stay out of trouble...I can actually carry a converstaion with %90 of Metro cops, Peel on the other hand its 50/50....When they show up I just cross my fingers and hope we dont get a power tripping fool...

Wooley eat it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmCGXetVhQo

But a park is not really private property. Can I get burned?

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    But a park is not really private property. Can I get burned?
    If you're doing it in a park, then you don't have permission to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Well I guess public parks parking lots is out of the question at 3AM. It is a shame since it really improves driving. This is nothing like slamming my accel pedal to race someone.
    If someone complains about the noise your vihicle is making at 3am then you may have a host of other problems when the Police show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko G View Post
    im pretty sure private property and public parking lots are off limits to police, and they have no right to intervene... but do the research first, im not 100% sure...
    There are no "off limits to police" given the situation and the charge the officer may choose to lay. If you get the wrong officer and he charges you with dangerous driving you are screwed. The charge of dangerous driving does not have to be on a highway. It can be laid anywhere.
    Fortunately most officers have some commonsense and will just tell you to find another place to go, just be carefull you don't get the wrong one.
    ROADRASH - A mid winter skin condition caused by the stress of not riding my bike!!
    http://madleyphotography.com

Serious Question:

Then would Ghostriding not be illegal in a parking lot as well?

"172. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway in a race or contest, while performing a stunt or on a bet or wager. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

...and...

"highway" includes a common and public highway, street, avenue, parkway, driveway, square, place, bridge, viaduct or trestle, any part of which is intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles and includes the area between the lateral property lines thereof; ("voie publique")

This would indicate that such activities in a private parking lot SHOULD not be considered such.
    I read the opposite... I think parking lots ARE used by the general public for the passage of vehicles.

In any case, the only place you'd be able to argue this one is in court, and you will already have lost your vehicle and license for a week by that time. Not to mention what impact it might have on your job or insurance rates. You wouldn't have much luck arguing it while the cops are loading your car onto the towtruck.

--- D

Bill 203 is in the Highway Traffic Act so it ONLY applies on the highway. (Go look up the definition of highway yourself.)
    A parking lot is NOT a highway.

Dangerous driving is a crimminal charge so it does apply ANYWHERE in Canada.

I think the passage of Bill 203 is going to make it easier for police to lay dangerous charges. The line of thought would be; If it is chargeable under Bill 203 on the highway, then it is chargeable as dangerous off the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    Bill 203 is in the Highway Traffic Act so it ONLY applies on the highway. (Go look up the definition of highway yourself.)
    A parking lot is NOT a highway.

Dangerous driving is a crimminal charge so it does apply ANYWHERE in Canada.

I think the passage of Bill 203 is going to make it easier for police to lay dangerous charges. The line of thought would be; If it is chargeable under Bill 203 on the highway, then it is chargeable as dangerous off the highway.
    Not anymore:

http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bil...&ParlSessionID=

Application of Act to places other than highways
    1.1 The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations providing that this Act or any provision of this Act or of a regulation applies to a specified place or class of place that is not a highway.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    Not anymore:

http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bil...&ParlSessionID=

Application of Act to places other than highways
    1.1 The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations providing that this Act or any provision of this Act or of a regulation applies to a specified place or class of place that is not a highway.
    Bloody marvellous. It's received Royal Assent too. Now the research into what "other places" they've applied this to begins.

Bloody marvellous. It's received Royal Assent too. Now the research into what "other places" they've applied this to begins.
    I have been saying this all along... this to me was one of the most worrysome parts of this bill... and it was completely ignored by most (including the media) I am sure there have been brainstorming sessions on how to leverage this newly granted tidbit.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

I'm assuming they're going to be applying this to stunting in parking lots. I hope they leave race tracks alone.

--- D