it's only 50,000 volts..FTP - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: it's only 50,000 volts..FTP

Re: it's only 50,000 volts..FTP

Agreed.

This video bothers me, because Bill 203s wonderful "arguing" section. At what point will OPP determine it OK to arrest or Taser you for asking questions regarding your stop? Sure roadside is not the place to argue, but it is the place to know what you are being charged with....

How the cop should have handled it:
    He tried to explain it, and get the guy to sign it, but he refused. The cop should have made note that the charged refuses to sign it (which is just saying "i understand the charge", not "i agree to it"). At that point, the video would have shown that he tried to explain it, but the charged refused to allow it. The whole thing would have gone to court, the driver would have had to act clueless, and had the officer explain it again, where the accused cannot interrupt.

When I was stopped south of the border, the cop told me I didnt have to sign, but I'd still be on the hook for the charge, and it would likely be a direct summons to court.
    Last edited by suprPHREAK; 11-22-2007 at 06:12 PM.
    CHOWDAH RIDAH

2007 ZX-14 -92,000km
    2006 BW'S -7,000km
    2005 ZX636R -63,533km (stolen)
    2004 SV650S -30,000km (sold)
    2003 ZZR250 -15,000km (sold)

Current tire choice: Pirelli Angel
    Last tire choice: Road Smart- 19,000 on last set (not the best though..)
    CSC Certified Riding Instructor

Frankly the guy got tased for being annoying.....

I wanted to give him a second jolt

"mother ****ing son of a *****. I really hope he gets killed in the next pull over"
    Wow...aren't you some piece of work!! Wishing a person dead just because he's a complete a-hole (and he is most certainly that) really says a lot about you too.
    Amazing how this got so far off topic....but then again there's more than a few rabid, psychotic cop haters out there…..
    Anyway…back to the Taser – how many people agree (assuming they'd put themselves in that position in 1st place) that they’d sooner face a Taser than a Glock 40? If that poor guy in Vancouver was in such shape that the Taser killed him, then odds are the automatic wouldn’t have done him any good either.
    At least the police have an option now instead of a iron clad guarantee that someone dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete E View Post
    Amazing how this got so far off topic....but then again there's more than a few rabid, psychotic cop haters out there…..
    Shhhhh...... They aren't "out there"
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Gh0sT

Talking Re: it's only 50,000 volts..FTP

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    If I come across an officer like this, it's unlikely that I would ever know it. You see, I wouldn't be combative about the situation. I'd take my ticket and deal with it in court, as is my right.
    Me, too. Because well....that's just COMMON SENSE.

Quote Originally Posted by suprPHREAK View Post
    This video bothers me, because Bill 203s wonderful "arguing" section. At what point will OPP determine it OK to arrest or Taser you for asking questions regarding your stop? Sure roadside is not the place to argue, but it is the place to know what you are being charged with....

How the cop should have handled it:
    He tried to explain it, and get the guy to sign it, but he refused. The cop should have made note that the charged refuses to sign it (which is just saying "i understand the charge", not "i agree to it").
    At that point, the video would have shown that he tried to explain it, but the charged refused to allow it. The whole thing would have gone to court, the driver would have had to act clueless, and had the officer explain it again, where the accused cannot interrupt.

When I was stopped south of the border, the cop told me I didnt have to sign, but I'd still be on the hook for the charge, and it would likely be a direct summons to court.
    This was covered in an earlier thread. There are states that it is an offense not to sign the ticket. In other words, you have to sign it or you get arrested. So that is what happened here. To try and compare it to traffic laws here is inane.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    This was covered in an earlier thread. There are states that it is an offense not to sign the ticket. In other words, you have to sign it or you get arrested. So that is what happened here. To try and compare it to traffic laws here is inane.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that not signing a ticket was not an arrestable offence here in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Duster929 View Post
    I didn't say I agree with the cop. I just said that if you're in a confrontation with an armed person, you had better be really careful, and really compliant, because they may see the situation very differently than you do. They may feel more threatened than you think and may react in a way that you would never dream. The trouble is, because they're armed, they can act on their fear and uncertainty in ways that you can't. So, be cool, move slow, and if they start to get worked up, follow instructions.

I have likely met cops like this guy. As well as security guards, border agents, military police, airport security, etc. When I do, I'm careful.

--- D
    This is very well said Duster. I agree 100%.

Angus....
    "The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites."

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Pete E View Post
    "mother ****ing son of a *****. I really hope he gets killed in the next pull over"
    Wow...aren't you some piece of work!! Wishing a person dead just because he's a complete a-hole (and he is most certainly that) really says a lot about you too.
    Anyway…back to the Taser – how many people agree (assuming they'd put themselves in that position in 1st place) that they’d sooner face a Taser than a Glock 40? If that poor guy in Vancouver was in such shape that the Taser killed him, then odds are the automatic wouldn’t have done him any good either.
    At least the police have an option now instead of a iron clad guarantee that someone dies.
    I'd rather face the Glock, any day of the week. I know that I'd have to do something really bad, like threaten a cop or someone else's life, before getting shot with the Glock. I know where the line is, and I know I'll never cross it. Facing the Taser, well, frankly I have no idea where the line is. I might get shocked for talking back, being rude, not responding, giving the cop a dirty look, who knows what.

I never worried about getting shot when the cops just had guns. Now that they have Tasers, well, I'm a little more nervous.

--- D

RocketBoy

Inappropriate language - didn't add to the discussion
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 11-23-2007 at 09:41 AM.

I'd rather face the Glock, any day of the week. I know that I'd have to do something really bad, like threaten a cop or someone else's life, before getting shot with the Glock. I know where the line is, and I know I'll never cross it. Facing the Taser, well, frankly I have no idea where the line is. I might get shocked for talking back, being rude, not responding, giving the cop a dirty look, who knows what.

I never worried about getting shot when the cops just had guns. Now that they have Tasers, well, I'm a little more nervous.

--- D
    I feel the same way about being robbed. I'd rather be robbed with a gun than a knife. I am more likely to hand over my crap than stab the guy with his own knife.

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that not signing a ticket was not an arrestable offence here in Canada.
    It's not, but it's quite obvious that the video isn't in Canada, it's from the States.

It's not, but it's quite obvious that the video isn't in Canada, it's from the States.
    Utah, to be precise.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    I feel the same way about being robbed. I'd rather be robbed with a gun than a knife. I am more likely to hand over my crap than stab the guy with his own knife.
    I guess I'd rather be robbed with a gun and NOT get shot than get robbed with a knife and GET stabbed. Either way I'm going to get robbed. One way I don't have to go to the hospital.

--- D

I guess I'd rather be robbed with a gun and NOT get shot than get robbed with a knife and GET stabbed. Either way I'm going to get robbed. One way I don't have to go to the hospital.

--- D
    Just learn the basic skilz... you should have no problems.

R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Thanks for the correction. I've watched so many videos and read so many tazer articles in the last week I can't keep them seperate.
    cheers

Utah eh? Probably tasered him for only having one wife in the car. lol

Jeff_89

...to which the officer replies "I am placing you under arrest because you did not obey my instruction
    All charges except for the speeding ticket have been dropped.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    So what would of happened to the guy if there wasnt the video? it would of been the cops word against his and he would never win.

Seems to me that cops are a little trigger happy with their tasers.

Quote Rob McLennan - "If I come across an officer like this, it's unlikely that I would ever know it. You see, I wouldn't be combative about the situation. I'd take my ticket and deal with it in court, as is my right."

Finally!! Someone said something that makes sense!!

Whenever i get pulled over "especially at night" i turn on all the lights inside the car, get all my papers ready, and place both my hands on the steering wheel, with the window open" and as soon as the officer shows up to my window, he feels more at peace, and i just hand him all the papers "license,reg,insu".

I bet every time they pull someone over at night, deep down inside they are nervous, and scared, especially on dark roads, that is why it is better to make em feel comfortable. to avoid any confrontations.

But as for the video, that was just one hungry pig on a power trip. He didn't follow procedure, and i am speaking out of anger, but if the preg. wife, just put the car in reverse and took out the piggy maybe it had a different outcome" Preg. women are unpredictable.

Nas