Laws for Information Exchange after an accident

Thread: Laws for Information Exchange after an accident

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Laws for Information Exchange after an accident

Does anyone know what the regulations are regarding information exchange after an accident. I read a hint from a LEO on another forum about creating 3X5 index cards for recording information in case you are involved in an accident. It was also suggested that you print out the relevant laws in case the other driver did not want to provide the information. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the relevant laws.

Driver's name:

Current residence address:

Driver license number:

Vehicle Identification Number:

Name and address of registered owner:

Insurance company name and address:

Policy number:

Phone Number of insurance company:

Thanks to Scott and the unnamed LEO for this idea.
    Last edited by Baggsy; 11-21-2007 at 07:55 PM. Reason: reference

Re: Laws for Information Exchange after an accident

Great info, and ideally all of it should be provided. But I believe even this will be enough to identify the party at fault: Driver's name, address, phone number, Driver license number, VIN, Insurance company name, Policy number.

The rest can be looked up by your insurance company, if it comes to that.

Getting the VIN is definitely a good idea. In fact getting as much info as possible is only good. I got broadsided by a cabbie, a few years back, and after he stopped trying to blame me for his stupidity I finally got him to start giving up information. I got his name and driver's license number.

The insurance was under another name.

The car was registered to a different person.

Nothing matched.

If someone doesn't want to give you full disclosure, then don't be afraid to call police and wait for them to attend. You are required BY LAW to give your insurance information in the event of a collision.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

The absolute minimum info you should get is the persons Drivers licence # and the plate/vin #. Everything can be looked up on various computer systems. By law you are required to report any accident (over $1000 damage) within 24 hours if Police are not called to the scene.
    ROADRASH - A mid winter skin condition caused by the stress of not riding my bike!!
    http://madleyphotography.com

Name, drivers licence number, license plate of my car, Insurance company and policy number.

No way am I giving someone my address. I don't need someone showing up at my house unannounced. I know there are plenty of ways to get my address but I'm not making it easy.
    Last edited by BlueThunder; 11-23-2007 at 02:57 PM.
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 600 K8

I used to carry around a disposable camera and take pics. As they say a pic is worth a thousand words. Its gives the position of the accident plus the plate of the other car.

Now?? I just have my cell phone camera. I took pics and u know what the cop woman told me? Thats not necessary. I told her I just felt like it.
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    Now?? I just have my cell phone camera. I took pics and u know what the cop woman told me? Thats not necessary. I told her I just felt like it.
    In a perfect world taking pictures may not be necessary, but if the cop makes a mistake in the report you'll never be able to prove it. And I'm sure you and your insurance company will be very glad to use those pictures in any potential lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by croco View Post
    In a perfect world taking pictures may not be necessary, but if the cop makes a mistake in the report you'll never be able to prove it. And I'm sure you and your insurance company will be very glad to use those pictures in any potential lawsuit.

Good luck in getting YOUR pictures introduced as evidence in a trial.