Re: Way to tell it like it is....

Interesting, but it's a paulie...

Quote Originally Posted by croco View Post
    Interesting, but it's a paulie...

No its not,

I personal know this guy, he's a memebr over at GTAMC.com

owns a fantasticly modefied Mustang,

Tim is stand up guy, and has been and becoming more and more active with this whole bill 203 thng..

Tim is a great asset to the hobiest wiether it be motorcycle or car related.
    Knowledge Without Mileage is Useless

*worry about your own spelling not mine.

this looks familiar... Oh ya... right here

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=49113
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

Quote Originally Posted by SiNNeR View Post
    No its not,

I personal know this guy, he's a memebr over at GTAMC.com
    A "paulie" means the story is a repost, at least on a few other forums I frequent. Regardless, I agree that it is a great article, and the writer finally captures what is wrong with bill 203 in the mainstream media. That said, I doubt his article will have any kind of impact. A lot more people will have to be booked under this bill for public opinion to shift.

A "paulie" means the story is a repost, at least on a few other forums I frequent. Regardless, I agree that it is a great article, and the writer finally captures what is wrong with bill 203 in the mainstream media. That said, I doubt his article will have any kind of impact. A lot more people will have to be booked under this bill for public opinion to shift.
    Again, he misses many, if not all of the points that are unrelated to speed. That means the 'pro' side wins.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

A "paulie" means the story is a repost, .

whoops I inturpreted "politician"

cheers '
    Knowledge Without Mileage is Useless

*worry about your own spelling not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Again, he misses many, if not all of the points that are unrelated to speed. That means the 'pro' side wins.
    The entire bill was passed because of street racing, especially the one incident described in the article. It turns out the kids were going 40% slower, and the driver who was killed had twice the legal alcohol amount in his blood. But as usual, once the story died down the media never bothered to revisit the facts, and people remained with a false perception.

He also touches on the issue of ERASE. When the cops realized they can't issue enough tickets on the road, they moved to organized venues. Many people on the Toronto Prelude Club website used to go to Dark Nights and other events, only to be stalked by cops at the entrance. They would receive tickets for improper mufflers, lowered suspension, tinted windows, etc.

No, the article does not deal with the cops being judge, jury and executioner at the side of the road, but unfortunately that is beyond the comprehension level of the general public.

No, the article does not deal with the cops being judge, jury and executioner at the side of the road, but unfortunately that is beyond the comprehension level of the general public.
    Which is unfortunate, as it's the part that clearly matters the most.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I think the general public believes that they will not be affected by giving such power to the cops ... just that the big bad street racers will finally get theirs. Media helps by only accentuating stories of those caught who fit in the big bad group (motorcyclists, guys in fast cars). A woman in a minivan with 3 kids is reported as someone surprised. A speeding motorcyclist is reported as a menace who was caught.

I think the general public will not fully understand until a lot have been caught surprised and these 'good' people make some noise. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Last edited by zeekat; 11-20-2007 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
    I think the general public will not fully understand until a lot have been caught surprised and these 'good' people make some noise. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
    This is one of my worries. The application of this law is at the officers' discretion. Will they treat the minivan crowd the same way they would treat the sports car / motorcycle crowd? As seen from experiences prior to this law, I highly doubt it. So those good people will never have to make noise.
    Please promote spelling and grammar:
    www.engrish.com

Quote Originally Posted by z31tt View Post
    This is one of my worries. The application of this law is at the officers' discretion. Will they treat the minivan crowd the same way they would treat the sports car / motorcycle crowd? As seen from experiences prior to this law, I highly doubt it. So those good people will never have to make noise.
    You are completely right, and I'll give you a funny example. About two years ago I met with my gf for a coffee near the North York Centre. We both drove separate cars, and parked RIGHT next to each other in a Green P lot. She was driving a Neon and I was driving a Prelude. She got a warning and I got a parking ticket. People ARE biased, and no amount of education will change it.

Which is unfortunate, as it's the part that clearly matters the most.
    It's difficult enough as it is to raise awareness on this topic. Since the media has been focusing almost exclusively on the speeding component of bill 203, disproving this part of it hits close to home. Believe me, I wish the article touched upon the police discretionary powers. But I believe the general public's eyes will just glaze over and move on to the next shiny things article. We have to take it one step at a time and build momentum.

It's difficult enough as it is to raise awareness on this topic. Since the media has been focusing almost exclusively on the speeding component of bill 203, disproving this part of it hits close to home. Believe me, I wish the article touched upon the police discretionary powers. But I believe the general public's eyes will just glaze over and move on to the next shiny things article. We have to take it one step at a time and build momentum.
    Giving up on fighting the meat of this law is a mistake. The only way to get this overturned, apart from somehow convincing politicians that it's a good idea to put themselves in a position where their opposition can call them "soft on crime" (yeah, RIGHT!), is to inform the general public of just how over-reaching it is.

Fighting the 50-over portion of the legislation is never going to get any traction, in the public eye. The majority are saying they're glad that all of those evil speeders are getting pulled off the road. They aren't thinking about getting some wheel slide in a dirty corner, out in Podunk nowhere, and losing their car for a week.

Giving up on fighting the meat of this law is a mistake. The only way to get this overturned, apart from somehow convincing politicians that it's a good idea to put themselves in a position where their opposition can call them "soft on crime" (yeah, RIGHT!), is to inform the general public of just how over-reaching it is.

Fighting the 50-over portion of the legislation is never going to get any traction, in the public eye. The majority are saying they're glad that all of those evil speeders are getting pulled off the road. They aren't thinking about getting some wheel slide in a dirty corner, out in Podunk nowhere, and losing their car for a week.
    I completely agree that the police powers are the issue, but the question of how to raise public awareness still remains. How do you explain that the Fantino human radar detector is not a valid speed measuring device? How do you convince people that calling in someones license plate will not hold up in court (without the original caller showing up and their testimony surviving cross-examination)?

Until many more soccer moms will lose their vans any answers to those questions will fall on deaf ears.

In any case, in a way I am glad to be back on gtam after giving up on it for a few years. The signal to noise ratio has definitely improved.

The problem is the article is written by another "enthusiast". Although the article makes a lot of sense, the average person reading it will say "Ah, this Tim guy is ONE OF THEM!... He has a modded car, likes to go fast, he is probably a very aggressive driver. He's not like me at all". Even though he says he has no violations and he's a 40 year-old family man, he won't be given credit for being a normal person.

We need articles like this written by soccer moms and regular people driving Volvo station wagons. Then the general public will appreciate that even "regular" people should be worried.

As for Rob's comments, spot on. When I tell my friends they should be a lot more worried about the other parts of the bill than the 50kph+ part, they are surprised. They don't know there is more to the bill. Wait until the winter comes. Everyone driving 4WD vehicles too fast down the highway will be hit for driving inappropriately given the conditions of the road, and get suspended for "stunt driving". You'll see a lot of soccer moms in SUVs getting pretty irate about police discretion then.

--- D