..another GEM from the man in charge....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ..another GEM from the man in charge....

..another GEM from the man in charge....

McGuinty oh McGuinty.......

I hear this morning that McGuinty has choosen NOT to support a law that will ban drivers from using their phones while driving.

He claims " I will not know where to draw the line" later to say "People put on their make up and are distracted in other ways as well."

Here is any idea..... BAN IT ALL. !!!!!! ONLY DRIVING SHOULD BE DONE WHILE OPERATING YOUR VECHILE!!!!

But no, he can't do that. That would piss off the phone companies that put money into his pocket.

It would nice if he told the thruth.... "I can't ban cell phone use while driving because people need to talk on their phones. The more they talk, the more money the phone companies get, thus the more money I get from them, and the happier I will be. I don't give a **** about saftey on the roads, but I will pretend like I do and blame speeding."

****ing ****** bag.

Re: ..another GEM from the man in charge....

After once again almost having the front end of my truck taken off by a cell phone talking, Lincoln Navigator driving suit, I think that it's about time that we banned businessmen from driving.

Every third or fourth vehicle on the road is being driven by someone who is talking on a cell phone. With all of the tests done in places like th eUK and Australia, showing that talking on your cell while driving is worse than having 3 "standard" drinks in you, it's about time that they did away with it if safety is a REAL concern.

At the very least, go back to charging people for unsignalled lane changes.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I'm with you on this one....he is a 1st class idiot. While it is hard to enforce, the law belongs on the books. NFLD has done it and it looks Quebec is going to try. More power to them...too many stupid drivers out there, and all a cell phone does is make them that much more dangerous.

what i was actually surprised to hear on CBC radio was that our man on the ground (CAM WOOLEY) supported NOT banning cell phone usage.

He deduced that there are a lot of other distractions other than cell phones, so banning cell phones while driving is unnecessary. He also commented that since reckless driving is a direct result of cell phone usage, that drivers will just be ticketed for recklessness.

It makes me wonder how often lane cutting, car swerving, no signal changing drivers are ACTUALLY pulled over for recklessness.

big_mac_daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Blackenese View Post
    It makes me wonder how often lane cutting, car swerving, no signal changing drivers are ACTUALLY pulled over for recklessness.
    A few weeks ago 3-4 motorcyclists got caught in Waterloo for lane cutting and no signal lane changes (one of them apparently did a little wheelie - cops didn't see that though).

You have to be riding a bike to get pulled over for recklessness.

hexhead

Quote Originally Posted by anth1414 View Post
    McGuinty oh McGuinty.......

I hear this morning that McGuinty has choosen NOT to support a law that will ban drivers from using their phones while driving.

He claims " I will not know where to draw the line" later to say "People put on their make up and are distracted in other ways as well."

Here is any idea..... BAN IT ALL. !!!!!! ONLY DRIVING SHOULD BE DONE WHILE OPERATING YOUR VECHILE!!!!

But no, he can't do that. That would piss off the phone companies that put money into his pocket.

It would nice if he told the thruth.... "I can't ban cell phone use while driving because people need to talk on their phones. The more they talk, the more money the phone companies get, thus the more money I get from them, and the happier I will be. I don't give a **** about saftey on the roads, but I will pretend like I do and blame speeding."

****ing ****** bag.
    How else do you call the Popo for reporting drunk drivers, especially when they are the ones promoting it?

I agree he is a ****** bag for saying "whats next ban coffee drinking and people putting on make up". I say hell ya, these are the idiots that throw coffee cups on the road in front of motorcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by hexhead View Post
    How else do you call the Popo for reporting drunk drivers, especially when they are the ones promoting it?

I agree he is a ****** bag for saying "whats next ban coffee drinking and people putting on make up". I say hell ya, these are the idiots that throw coffee cups on the road in front of motorcycles.
    thanks for agreeing.

if the law is.... NO CELL PHONES WHILE DRIVING.

then people would be affraid to use it while driving. so they would be forced to pull over. and make the phone call.
    or make a rule that you are only allowed to use your phone to call the police.

it is easy enough to proove if your just chatting away about your love life... or your calling to report something serious.

Damned few and far between. If they did, it would pull fully half the vehicles off the road.

You want "shock and awe" Mr. Fantino? Try enforcing the laws that are conspicuous by how they are routinely ignored by the general public, that don't involve a numeric value.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Imagine all the people pulling over the side of 401 to talk on the phone? How many would die from the crashes?

..Tom

Quote Originally Posted by anth1414 View Post
    thanks for agreeing.
    then people would be affraid to use it while driving. so they would be forced to pull over. and make the phone call. ...
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Quote Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
    Imagine all the people pulling over the side of 401 to talk on the phone? How many would die from the crashes?

..Tom
    lol.. no no you missunderstood... or i miss spoke.

people can only pull over to report problem drivers... or i need of an emergency.

not to pull over just to gab with a freind on the side of the 401. that would be crazy!

Didn't they have this new law a few months ago: 'New drivers not allowed to use cell phones while driving'? I doubt if anyone was actually pulled over for that.

...And some ppl just don't get it. How hard is it to use Hands-free?

Zim... exactly.... Using a cell phone while driving should be essentially like having a conversation with passenger. You're not holding your passengers mouth to your ear though, causing you to occupy one of the limbs necessary to operate a vehicle.

HANDS FREE PEOPLE. BLUETOOTH. its on almost EVERY SINGLE PHONE.

PAIR! Don't IMPAIR! hahahah I'm clever.

(even if you don't have bluetooth those wired headsets work just as well. people are just too lazy and/or driving isn't a function its a fad; if you're not putting on lipstick and talking on your phone while driving you aren't like the cool kids on the OC)
    "Just Follow Your Front Wheel...."

Quote Originally Posted by janus View Post
    Zim... exactly.... Using a cell phone while driving should be essentially like having a conversation with passenger. You're not holding your passengers mouth to your ear though, causing you to occupy one of the limbs necessary to operate a vehicle.

HANDS FREE PEOPLE. BLUETOOTH. its on almost EVERY SINGLE PHONE.

PAIR! Don't IMPAIR! hahahah I'm clever.

(even if you don't have bluetooth those wired headsets work just as well. people are just too lazy and/or driving isn't a function its a fad; if you're not putting on lipstick and talking on your phone while driving you aren't like the cool kids on the OC)
    BTW: They have proved that hands free option is not any more effective at removing the distraction. The distraction comes from the actual ocnversation itself. Empirical evidence has shown that talking to someone actually in the car does not have the same effect, before that is mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post

..Tom
    They invented this thing called voice mail. Imagine in the days before cell phones. What on earth did we do when people needed to reach us at a moments notice?

hmmm i wonder why that is? Is there an online source that you got this information or a periodical/journal reference you can point to?

Look- I'm all for banning all other activities while driving, I just don't think its gonna be realistic at this stage... but strange how a 'virtual' conversation is more distracting than a conversation while another person is actually there.
    "Just Follow Your Front Wheel...."

what i was actually surprised to hear on CBC radio was that our man on the ground (CAM WOOLEY) supported NOT banning cell phone usage.
    One time I had to phone Cam Wooley to interview him for a story about an accident that happened, as the normal OPP media officer was off that day.

Wooley answered his cell while he was driving on the 400 to another accident.

It seemed pretty ridiculous to me at the time a top OPP media person uses his cell while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Royson View Post
    One time I had to phone Cam Wooley to interview him for a story about an accident that happened, as the normal OPP media officer was off that day.

It seemed pretty ridiculous to me at the time a top OPP media person uses his cell while driving.
    i rest my case.
    wow... just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Royson View Post

speaking of which...i've never seen a cruiser signal correctly either during lane changes, left turns, or even U-turns....EVER

seems like the only lights they ever use are the ones on TOP of the car

some people can actually talk on a cell and drive, and be concentrated, and some people cant. Its all about peoples abilities.