16 years old, M2 and EX500? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 16 years old, M2 and EX500?

Re: 16 years old, M2 and EX500?

Quote Originally Posted by wassp223 View Post
    For the 2008 ninja 250 i got quoted for 1600 a year 200,000 liability. Dont think it included fire n theft. That rate was for a 16 yr old with an m2
    200,000 liability.. Thats low tho sir! L.o.L
    Well, I ain't sure how their system works but, I'm still being forced to pay 2000+ for a stupid 250.. how disgusting! L.o.L

Oh! BTW, most people include insurance quotes of themselves, etc, but they don't list "Where they are located"...

I don't know if everyone knows this but.. LOCATION where you live DOES matter!...

For a guy living up in Peterborough compaired to the guy (me) living in Brampton will pay ALOT less since, not much **** goes down there anyways (theft, etc), so they charge less.

Just my 2 cents.

Toronto for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_yamaha View Post
    Oh, personal advice, get a CBR 125R. Awesomely cheap on gas, insurance is also high, but it'll be WAY lower than the 500cc you are looking at. Plus, it's a HOT looking machine! Plus, you'll get the basic experience you are looking for "before upgrading" to your dream machine! =D
    My insurance quote (Male, 19, M2 license obtained last month) was $40 cheaper on a 234cc Honda Rebel then a 125cc Honda CBR. Both quotes from the same guy for the same stuff. But I'd rather the cruiser... the CBR 125 is cramped for one person, where am I supposed to put the woman and all of my stuff? Should I add on a side-car, or a trailer?

My delayed rushed entrance to the two wheel world:

I had finally had enough with the TTC and decided I needed to get on two wheels and wanted to find the most feasible solution available to me. I drew the conclusion that I lacked the finances to look after everything: bike, insurance, all gear, customizations (on a motorcycle I would want an engine guard), licensing and motorcycle course costs, 1000 km bike inspection cost. Way too much.
    I found I could still get on two wheels and save myself a lot of costs by starting on a little 50cc scooter, ridding that for a year, and then trading up. The scooter was bought new, price after tax $2,100. Insurance was $580 for the year, course was $370, gear and accessories all in were probably $500.
    The good news is, this summer I'll be able to afford to buy a 250cc bike because I won't have to spend another $500 on gear, I won't have to spend another $400 on licensing, I'll save a couple hundred since I'll be able to switch to better insurance companies (thanks to a better license and one year on the road experience), and I'll save a few hundred because I've completed the safety course.
    Last edited by adri; 12-13-2007 at 12:37 AM.

bigsurge

is it true that insurance will be less with an m1 then with an m2 because u can only drive during certain hours and if not wat wouuld be the difference

forget about what everyone says about getting a car first and the fact that it's more practical. If you're looking for a mode of transportation and nothing more, maybe a car would be better.. but if you want to ride for the sake of riding then get a bike and dont think twice. I started riding when i was 17 and still don't have a car, and as much as public transportation blows in the winter, it more than makes up for it when you're on two wheels in the spring.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bigsurge View Post
    is it true that insurance will be less with an m1 then with an m2 because u can only drive during certain hours and if not wat wouuld be the difference
    no, the other way around.

Hi, thanks everone for replying!
    I got quoted from Duffy 2800 bucks a year for liability and fire/theft...which actually isnt too bad compared to a car.

I did have a job and managed to scrape up 3500 bucks. So I can buy the bike, but need to work for insurance lol.

Also, the key word is DID have a job. I no long have one (long story lol).

So I figure I could get a bike/insurance for the spring + gear and a safety course. I was told that my parents would pay for the safety course at least.

So I guess everything will cost me about 6K to get on the road, so Ive got 2500 more to earn. Plus I will be working in the summer, So ill be able to pay for gas/etc plus earn back what I spent on the bike (most of it anyways).

Don't forget to factor expenses between now and then. Gifts, going out, clothes, school trips, yata yata.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissorman View Post
    I cant really afford a car so its not an option : (
    But if/when I do get a bike, I dont plan on doing anything beyond my capabilities.
    That's a good mind set, staying within your capabilities. The only problem is that, most people don't truly know what their capabilities are.... sometimes, until it's too late.
    It would be better to start off in a car (and be careful) and then jump on a bike, but it's still your choice to make and hopefully, for your sake most of all, you will make the right one.
    Insurance will be tough, mainly because of your age and lack of experience, but shop around a lot and you will find something within your price range.
    Also, as caboose said, looking for something older isn't a bad option.. since it's your first bike, not your last. Learn how to ride, learn more about yourself as a rider, then in a couple of years or so move up to another bike (if you want).
    Good luck with everything... and remember.. pretend you are invisible to cagers on the road, because in a lot of cases you pretty much are.

Edit: On another note, there can be a lot of expenses in between.. and I know you're only 16 but if you plan on going to college/university then that's quite expensive for a student... as I understand, riding is an expensive hobby but well worth it. Just food for thought.
    Last edited by HyRyze; 12-23-2007 at 04:20 PM.

Sissorman..the woes of being young in todays world.

First. If you have your heart set on riding then do so, but research, take the course first, don't get into debt and be careful out there. Oh yeah, wait until you 18. ( don't mean to preach)

When I was sixteen(1976) my first bike cost me $300 and insurance was like $40..never got my license until I was 18 was ticketed once for no license $18 fine.

Thanks for all the replies!
    I agree that it would probably be alot safer to learn to rules of the road in a car. I was driving last night and a guy ****in pulls out onto the wrong side of the street!
    I could not believe I was being passed by a car going against traffic.
    I mean, you hear these types of horror stories all the time, but this was the first that Ive experienced while behind the wheel.

alexfranklin

I am 16, and drove a bike before a car. All you need is common sense for the road and the rules. Here is my email talk to me about it: dirtbike35@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scissorman View Post
    Thanks for all the replies!
    I agree that it would probably be alot safer to learn to rules of the road in a car. I was driving last night and a guy ****in pulls out onto the wrong side of the street!
    I could not believe I was being passed by a car going against traffic.
    I mean, you hear these types of horror stories all the time, but this was the first that Ive experienced while behind the wheel.
    get used to it..there's a lot more where that came from..u ain't seen nothing yet
    *Sold* 2001 CBR600F4i - Streetfighter aka F4ighter
    *Sold* 1999 Pearl White CBR600F4

Quote Originally Posted by alexfranklin View Post
    I am 16, and drove a bike before a car. All you need is common sense for the road and the rules. Here is my email talk to me about it: dirtbike35@hotmail.com
    Not really because on a bike they dont see you! A car they see most of the time... but if they dont see your car atleast your in it and not on it so your chances of surviving a crash are greater.

There is nothing wrong with owning a bike before a car. I had a bike for 3 years before I bought my first car and it made me a better driver because of it. All the good habits I gained from riding a bike transfered to driving, especially shoulder checks. Been driving my car for 10 years without incident in downtown Toronto. Motorcyclists make the best drivers in my opinion.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40