16 years old, M2 and EX500?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16 years old, M2 and EX500?

16 years old, M2 and EX500?

Hi everyone,
    Im 16 years old and am looking a getting a Kawasaki ex500 for the springtime. Im looking to get at least a 2002 model for about 3 grand.

Anyways, does anyone have any idea roughly how much insurance would be for me?
    Im looking for collision and theft/fire because we all know how many scumbags love to steal bikes.

I currently dont have an M1 because it would just expire before I could get an M2. Im going to get my M1 in Febraury and take the safety course at the end of March.
    So when I do end up having the bike Ill have an M2 with a safety course completion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Re: 16 years old, M2 and EX500?

my advice, spend a few years behind the wheel of a car before jumping on a bike, simply because you dont know how traffic works yet, and dont know what to expect, and your still young and stupid as i was too when i was 16. A mistake in a cage is much much less costly than one on a bike. Just my 2 cents.

I cant really afford a car so its not an option : (
    But if/when I do get a bike, I dont plan on doing anything beyond my capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissorman View Post
    But if/when I do get a bike, I dont plan on doing anything beyond my capabilities.
    can't afford a car?
    atleast 4K i think .. im just guessing
    how long have u had ur G2 for (im assuming u don't have a G)

whats ur driving record...
    if u have 3 g's go buy a crappy car first... then a bike...

Well I could afford a car, just not the insurance. But I have my heart set on a bike right now.
    4K is quite alot, I was hoping something around 3k : (

Oh, My driving record is....well I dont have one lol.
    Ive got my G1, and sometimes go driving with my parents, but dont have any tickets or anyting.

hate to break it to you bro, the reason why most people (who aren't spectacularly rich) who ride are in their mid twenties and onward is for precisely the same reason you are finding it hard to ride now.

$$$$ is a huge factor.
    insurance record is a HUGE factor.
    priorities like education, rent, cut into leisure pursuits.
    practicality --> bikes aren't practical no matter how you argue it

insurance will be ridiculous for you. But if you must, call around to the companies in the sticky and ask for insurance rates. if they are nice, they might explain to you why they don't want your business.

PS. i dont know about everyone else, but i think most of the guys/girls who ride have been wanting a bike since they were young like you. its what makes us all so passionate about it.

Gh0sT

If you are shopping around for insurance, the first thing you tell them over the phone should be you age. That might just save you alot of headaches, as some places won't insure you if you're under 25. So be upfront from the start. It saves you time.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Does anyone know of any insurance companies that offer insurance to riders of any ages? (does Duffy insurance people my age?)

Thanks!

Is there any way I could be put as a "secondary rider"?
    My moms boyfriend (theyve been together for about 10 years) has had a motorcycle license since the late 70's and has a good riding record. I think he only pays like 800 or something a year for a 1500cc Harley.

I just finished my first year riding and I am 16 too. I got the bike before a car. insurance is approx. $2300 full coverage 2007 honda cbr 125. EX500 will probably be in a similar range but a bit more because of the bigger engine. Start on an older bike that no one would want if you can then just get liability. That was the only downside of getting a new bike for me really, but I couldn't get a used one since I didn't know much about them mechanically. Best thing is an older standard or cruiser bike, cheaper insurance. Dual sports are really cheap too. Hell, anything other than a sports bike.

Thanks for the reply!! So I guess there is hope lol.
    May I ask which insurance company you used?

P.S- Were you insurance by yourself, or where you a secondary rider?

That's by myself. Best brokers are John Duffy and Jerry Kaspard. Search them on this site and you'll find their info (I don't have it right now).

Thanks alot!!!

Just spend enough time behind the wheel and you'll realize that there are way, WAY too many people on the road that must of paid, performed, or pleaded in some way to get their license. Insurance will kill you, but it'll be about the same amount for a car, just that the car will be alot more practical.

NB: Caboose, if you're really 16, you've impressed the hell out of me, with just the way you write online. Most (well, all that I know) kids I know you're age, and way too many older ones write as if they lost half their keys on the keyboard and if you tell them about capitalization, you might as well of just told them that Ontario supports communism

-Oh wait...

like i said earlier, although insurance will be a problem, it shouldnt really be your main concern right now. Like i previously stated, you dont know how traffic works, and your inexperienced still, which is why you should get a car first, gain some experience on the road, and then jump to a bike. A 16 yr getting a bike isnt the smartest idea in the world. Id say wait until you have at least a year of driving experience before you grab a bike, only so you can gain that experience on the road. Than, when you're ready, jump on a bike...

Thanks alot!!!
    Oh yeah, one more thing is make sure you take the motorcycle training course. You'll learn tons of valuable stuff there. It doesn't really matter which one you go to (Humber, Centennial, RTI, Sheridan), they all pretty much teach the same thing. You also get a nice insurance discount.

One thing I wish I did though was to have taken driver's ed earlier. I'm doing it now but it will teach you lots of stuff about the road so you don't have to fend for yourself as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman13 View Post
    NB: Caboose, if you're really 16, you've impressed the hell out of me, with just the way you write online. Most (well, all that I know) kids I know you're age, and way too many older ones write as if they lost half their keys on the keyboard and if you tell them about capitalization, you might as well of just told them that Ontario supports communism

-Oh wait...
    Thanks. I hope you aren't referring to any posts I've made in this topic though, they have been some of the sloppiest ones I've written on the forum. I appreciate the compliment. Unless you've had a lobotomy or something, then you've got a whole brain, might as well use it, right?

I'm gonna try to help you out and give you my two cents on a lot of what's been said, cause I spent about 4 years in your position starting from when I was 15 with my mind set on a bike, no real interest in a car. To this day I only have a G1.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko G View Post
    my advice, spend a few years behind the wheel of a car before jumping on a bike, simply because you dont know how traffic works yet, and dont know what to expect, and your still young and stupid as i was too when i was 16. A mistake in a cage is much much less costly than one on a bike. Just my 2 cents.
    It's traffic. You'll either learn the rules of the road and pick them up, or you won't. I had no road experience when I bought my bike. I had no bike experience when I bought my bike. I was 19 years old and stupid. Got two visas, got a helmet, got on two wheels. Nearly **** my pants. Yes, failing to learn hurts you less in a car then on a bike where your life is seriously at risk, but I don't think Marko G should be downplaying the positive effects of ridding before driving: picking up good habits from the bike where constant attention and alertness are necessary might just help you in a few years down the road when you're in driver's seat of a car. Hopefully you'll make it that far.

First, you need to do some math: $3 000 for the bike + gear (we'll say helmet, jacket, gloves, at a minimum) $500 at least, + insurance of $2000. Add that. Don't forget you pay the insurance company every year, not a one time thing. Time to get a job if you aren't already working.
    Second, if you're new to two wheels, odds are you won't know your capabilities until you exceed them, be weary of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gh0sT View Post
    some places won't insure you if you're under 25. So be upfront from the start. It saves you time.
    Some places also won't insure M1 drivers. Contact Jerry Kaspard, he was cheaper then all my other quotes including Duffy (they deal with the same guys only Jerry isn't as greedy or has less fixed costs given his situation). Jerry will likely put you with Sun Alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose87 View Post
    I just finished my first year riding and I am 16 too. I got the bike before a car. insurance is approx. $2300 full coverage 2007 honda cbr 125. EX500 will probably be in a similar range but a bit more because of the bigger engine. Start on an older bike that no one would want if you can then just get liability. That was the only downside of getting a new bike for me really, but I couldn't get a used one since I didn't know much about them mechanically. Best thing is an older standard or cruiser bike, cheaper insurance. Dual sports are really cheap too. Hell, anything other than a sports bike.
    All true. Or, if you really wanna save. Start on a scooter. Insurance is $580 for the year, ride that for your first year or two until you've been working long enough to have big cash saved, by that point you'll be 18 or so, maybe have a credit rating and secure yourself financing on a new bike. Just another possibility for you.

Caboose87 also said take to take a course and he's dead on. Honestly, just think very carefully about the decisions you're making. There's not a day I pull up the driveway (especially now in winter) and I'm not grateful to have made it home in one peice, it can get intimidating out there. There's also not a week I don't look at my bank statements as think of 1000 different ways I could have spent the money I did. Be very careful, be very smart, spend a lot of time doing your homework on this. I'm serious. It took me four years of bummin around this forum before I just decided to go for it. One of my smartest decisions I've made as a rider, was to take my time deciding if I should be on two wheels. Try not to rush. We're all in this together.

Sorry to break it to you my young friend but insurance is going to hurt you, big time. I had to wait till 25 to get my insurance break. You most definitely want to get a driving record first, I would say you should wait a while for the bike. Get a car first, learn the rules of the road, do yourself the favour.

Also take into consideration the responsibilities of the bike, its not a toy. Insurance, maintenance, clothing/gear, gas.. It adds up to a LOT! can you afford that?

you also dont want to go under someone elses insurance for your own bike. If you make any mistakes and have an accident or whatever, that persons premium goes up, thanks to you.

I know what its like to want a bike real bad, but you have to be patient and do things in the right order, for your own sake you have so many years to work towards bikes.. take your time! Get your car, have fun with it.. learn the rules and get a bike when your comfortable in heavy traffic and other types of traffic.
    Lets Ride

Okay.. lets say this.. I'm 20, and I've been eye-balling motorcycles since the age of 13. Now that I'm 20 I got the opportunity to get a 250cc bike.

Facts are, if you don't have your drivers licence long enough, some people won't insure you, some will.
    Also, when I was 17; trying to get quotes on 250's-600's was unbelievable!
    And since I, being 20 + 250CC + G licence for 5 years, I will be paying $2,200 a year for 1 million liability insurance (With John R. Duffy) or $2140 for Half a million liability, or the lowest price of all $1691 with NO insurance technically (from thefts, fires, etc).

1st, you being 16 + no drivers licence experience + new to the M1 scene + a 500CC bro, I'm almost positive you will pay more than the cars insurance. (Yes I've also been in your situation where I thought bikes are cheaper than cars). Don't forget, it was yesterday in my head when I was 16 in the same spot, picking for a bike or car.

I can guess, you'll be paying way over $3500/year.
    Well do this, give some insurance people a call, and give us some info on what they've been telling you for quotes? It would also save the time for people randomly bashing on this topic. =P

Oh, personal advice, get a CBR 125R. Awesomely cheap on gas, insurance is also high, but it'll be WAY lower than the 500cc you are looking at. Plus, it's a HOT looking machine! Plus, you'll get the basic experience you are looking for "before upgrading" to your dream machine! =D

For the 2008 ninja 250 i got quoted for 1600 a year 200,000 liability. Dont think it included fire n theft. That rate was for a 16 yr old with an m2