LED stem valves - legalities (again)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED stem valves - legalities (again)

LED stem valves - legalities (again)

I know this topic has been covered before. I did a brief search and came across this link: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...led+valve+stem
    However, I heard from friends on another forum that certain LED light colors were not allowed. Specifically: the color lights used by emergency vehicles and things like that were not allowed.
    I wanted blue LEDs as my ride is blue, but because blue is the color used by the snow plowing services (or something like that) I could get in trouble for having the blue LEDs.
    What's the real deal guys?

Re: LED stem valves - legalities (again)

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    I know this topic has been covered before. I did a brief search and came across this link: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...led+valve+stem
    However, I heard from friends on another forum that certain LED light colors were not allowed. Specifically: the color lights used by emergency vehicles and things like that were not allowed.
    I wanted blue LEDs as my ride is blue, but because blue is the color used by the snow plowing services (or something like that) I could get in trouble for having the blue LEDs.
    What's the real deal guys?
    LED unless they are running lights are not legal while your motorcycle is moving. However if you have them wired to a switch when you are posing you can have them on all you want. Don't think blue are legal at all. Stem valve LED are definitely not legal.
    A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once.

'08 Yamaha WR250X (SuperRetard)
    '03 Suzuki SV1000S Current (Silver Surfer)

'07 Aprilia SXV 5.5 Teefed (Redstar)
    '04 Honda 1000RR Previous (Red1.2)
    '05 Yamaha R6 Previous (Red1)
    '89 Suzuki GS500E Previous (SuziQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Steinberg c/o bjturner View Post
    Tim, if you are reading all this, you should grow the **** up and not be such a ******. you give all us Canadians a bad name. ps, you are no longer welcome here.

Ben Steinberg Deals Gap Resort Manager

Blue valve stem lights could be considered "intermittent", which would make them the same as those used by snow removal vehicles (edit: Oh, and now police cruisers too). Sorry, no good.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

So regardless of color its a no-go?

So regardless of color its a no-go?
    I know a guy that had them. Got pulled over and a stern lecture that they were not legal. His were blue. I don't believe they are legal at all because they are probably considered a distraction.
    A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once.

'08 Yamaha WR250X (SuperRetard)
    '03 Suzuki SV1000S Current (Silver Surfer)

'07 Aprilia SXV 5.5 Teefed (Redstar)
    '04 Honda 1000RR Previous (Red1.2)
    '05 Yamaha R6 Previous (Red1)
    '89 Suzuki GS500E Previous (SuziQ)

Tim, if you are reading all this, you should grow the **** up and not be such a ******. you give all us Canadians a bad name. ps, you are no longer welcome here.

Ben Steinberg Deals Gap Resort Manager

Ugly people in cages are distracting too, how come they get away with it?

Anything we can do with lights and a 12V battery?

Ugly people in cages are distracting too, how come they get away with it?

Anything we can do with lights and a 12V battery?
    yah... point them in front of u to make sure u know where ur going..

or hook up a switch to them and turn them on only when parked.

There are restrictions both in HTA and CMVSS 108 concerning what colours are allowed to face forward and back, and what certain flashing or intermittent colours mean. From what I can see, if you have a lit LED on a valve stem while the vehicle is moving, and it is visible from "somewhere near front" or "somewhere near back" (which a valve stem always will be), no matter what colour it is, there is the potential for a legal problem. I wouldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    There are restrictions both in HTA and CMVSS 108 concerning what colours are allowed to face forward and back, and what certain flashing or intermittent colours mean. From what I can see, if you have a lit LED on a valve stem while the vehicle is moving, and it is visible from "somewhere near front" or "somewhere near back" (which a valve stem always will be), no matter what colour it is, there is the potential for a legal problem. I wouldn't do it.

ops.. i should have clarified... i was thinking bulbs as in headlights... cause those are the only thing that arn't gonna get u in trouble...

scrap the blue...

Can't have blue stem lights... (not that I ever would)

Were all a bunch of babies... someone feed me.

Banned

its also not allowed by the fashion and aesthetics police.

Gh0sT

They fall into the same catagory as neon lights on a bike. Legal when parked, illegal when moving.

Ok thanks for all the clarification =)

Ok I have tryed to look over and over the law, as I want to put some LED lighting on my ride.

Now from looking at the law, you can have...

ONLY WHITE FACEING FORWARD

ONLY RED FACEING BACK

NO INTERMITTANT (FLASHING) LIGHTS IN RED, BLUE, or GREEN.

But there seems to be NO laws about SOLID lighting in ANY other colour as long as the LAMP(LED) cannot be seen from the front or the back. If there is glow coming from the engine area or shining down on the road that should be legal, as long as the LED's are not VISIBLE from the FRONT or BACK you should be ok.

And there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with BLUE lights at all, as long as they dont face forward or back and THEY CANNOT BLINK!!

The law clearly only mention's flashing lights...

Heres some of the LAW itself, I removed stuff about Trucks and things not important to us. Unless you can find the unwritten subsection 21 rules, LED lighting should be legal if installed properly. I highlighted RED some of the KEY stuff the affects us.

Section 62 Lamps required on all motor vehicles except motorcycles

62. (1) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only.

(2) Subject to subsection (3), when on a highway at any time every motorcycle shall carry two lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on the front of the vehicle which shall display a white light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only.

(3) When on a highway at any time every motorcycle with a side car shall carry a lighted lamp in a conspicuous position on each side of the front of the vehicle which lamps shall display a white or amber light only and a lighted lamp on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only.

(4) Any lamp required under subsection (1), (2) or (3) shall, when lighted, be clearly visible at a distance of at least 150 metres from the front or rear, as the case may be.

(5) Despite subsections (2) and (3), where a motorcycle that was manufactured prior to the 1st day of January, 1970 is operated on a highway, the lighted lamps required under subsections (2) and (3) shall be required only during the period from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise, or at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less.

(6) Lamps on the front of a motor vehicle shall be so constructed, located, arranged and adjusted that when lighted as required by subsections (1), (2) and (3) they produce under normal atmospheric conditions and on a level road a driving light sufficient to render clearly discernible to the operator of the motor vehicle any person or vehicle on the highway within a distance of 110 metres ahead of the motor vehicle.

(7) No person shall drive upon a highway a motor vehicle if either or both of the lamps that are required on the front of the vehicle by subsections (1), (2) and (3),
    (a) are coated or covered with a coloured material; or
    (b) have been modified by the attachment to the lamps or the motor vehicle of any device that reduces the effective area of the lenses or the intensity of the beam of the lamps.
    (7.1) Clause (7)(a) does not apply if the lamps are of the prescribed type or meet the prescribed standards.

(14) Subject to subsection (15), no person shall use a lamp, other than the vehicular hazard warning signal lamps commonly known as four way flashers, that produces intermittent flashes of red light.
    light to the front.

(15.1) The following are vehicles to which subsection (15) applies:
    1. An ambulance, fire department vehicle, police department vehicle, public utility emergency vehicle or school bus.
    2. A ministry vehicle operated by an officer appointed to carry out this Act, the Public Vehicles Act or the Truck Transportation Act, while the officer is in the course of his or her employment.
    3. A vehicle while operated by a conservation officer, fishery officer, provincial park officer or mine rescue training officer, while the officer is in the course of his or her employment.
    4. A vehicle while operated by a provincial officer designated under the Environmental Protection Act, the Nutrient Management Act, 2002, the Ontario Water Resources Act, or the Pesticides Act, while the officer is in the course of his or her employment.

(16) A firefighter, within the meaning of subsection 1(1) of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997, may carry on or in his or her vehicle a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of green light and may operate the light if the motor vehicle is proceeding to a fire or other emergency.

(16.1) No person other than a person described in subsection (16) shall operate a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of green light.

(17) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor assisted bicycle, bicycle or tricycle shall carry on the front thereof a lighted lamp displaying a white or amber light and on the rear thereof a lighted lamp displaying a red light or a reflector approved by the Ministry, and in addition there shall be placed on the front forks thereof white reflective material, and on the rear thereof red reflective material covering a surface of not less than 250 millimetres in length and 25 millimetres in width.

(1 Every person who contravenes subsection (17) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not more than $20.

(19) The lamp on the rear of a motor vehicle or trailer shall be of at least three candela and shall be so placed that it will, at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, illuminate the numbers on the number plate, or, if provision is made on the number plate or on any attachment furnished or required by the Ministry for affixing the lamp, it shall be affixed in the position or space provided, and the lamp shall face to the rear and reflect on the number plate a white light only.

(20) A motor vehicle, other than a commercial motor vehicle, while standing upon a highway at the times that lights are required by this section for the vehicle may, in lieu of the lighting equipment specified in this section, show one light carried on the left side of the vehicle in such a manner as to be clearly visible to the front and rear for a distance of at least sixty metres and to show white to the front and red to the rear of the vehicle; provided that the light shall not be displayed while the motor vehicle is in motion.

(21) The Lieutenant Governor in Council on vehicles may make regulations,
    (a) prescribing the type and maximum strength of lights that shall be carried by vehicles, and regulating the location, direction, focus and use of the lights;
    (b) regulating or prohibiting the use of lights on vehicles that automatically produce intermittent flashes of light.
    (c) prescribing types of, or standards for, lamps coated or covered with a coloured material that may be used for the purpose of subsection (7.1).

(21.1) A regulation made under clause (21)(c) may prescribe different types of lamps and different standards for different classes of motor vehicles.

(22) No motor vehicle, other than a public utility emergency vehicle, shall be equipped with more than one spotlamp and every lighted spotlamp shall be so directed, upon approaching or upon the approach of another vehicle, that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam from the lamp will be directed to the left of the prolongation of the extreme left side, nor more than thirty metres ahead, of the vehicle to which it is attached.

(26) Subject to subsection (2, every vehicle, other than a motor vehicle, motor assisted bicycle, bicycle, tricycle or a vehicle referred to in subsection (24), (25) or (27), when on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, shall carry in a conspicuous position on the left side thereof a lighted lamp which shall display a white light to the front and a red light to the rear or a lighted lamp which shall display a white light to the front and a lighted lamp which shall display a red light to the rear, and any lamp so used shall be clearly visible at a distance of at least 150 metres from the front and the rear of the vehicle, as the case may be.

(2 The Ministry may by regulation permit a reflector approved by the Ministry to be displayed instead of a lighted lamp on vehicles commonly used for conveying flammable materials or vehicles that are structurally unsuitable for carrying lighted lamps.

(30) Where any light is required by any provision of this Act to be visible for a specified distance, the requirement shall be deemed to apply during the times indicated in the provision upon level ground and under normal atmospheric conditions.

(31) No person shall, while operating a road service vehicle on a highway, plow, salt or de-ice the highway or apply chemicals or abrasives to the highway for snow or ice control unless the road service vehicle is equipped with a lamp producing intermittent flashes of blue light visible for a distance of 150 metres from all directions.

(32) No person shall operate a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of blue light on a highway except in the circumstances described in section (31).

(33) Every person who contravenes subsection (1), (6), (7), (9), (10), (11), (13), (14), (15), (16), (22), (24), (25), (26) or (29) or who contravenes a regulation made under subsection (21) is guilty of an offence and, if the offence was committed by means of a commercial motor vehicle within the meaning of subsection 16(1), on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $200 and not more than $20,000.
    [S.O. 1994, c. 35, s. 1; 1996, c. 20, s. 13; 1996, c. 33, s. 11; 1997, c. 4, s. 81; 1998, c. 35, s. 103; 2002, c. 4, s. 64; 2002, c. 18, s. 19]
    Last edited by Zahadoom; 12-30-2007 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Didnt HIGHLIGHT the RULES about License Plate Lights

TireFlies are considered to be intermittent in nature. That is why they are illegal.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

jay98

I love the way the HTA will say something is illegal but places like CT will still sell them, same with the license plate protectors.

Your engine LED's are fine as long as they are not visible from the front or rear. Keep in mind this is up to the "interpretation" of the law by the office when you get pulled over.

The HTA says visible from the front and rear, so as long as you stand in front (or near front off on an angle) and can't see them then your ace. Same with the back.

Always have a kill switch for it too.

Draiter

Having flashing vale stem lights is not a major problem as they become solid when the bike is moving... No cop in their right mind is going to pull you over for that.... You can also get solild valve stem lights... Having blue, red, or what ever colour valve stem lights doesn't make a difference either. The flashing lights the HTA refers is NOT intended to encompass those lights on your valve stems.
    Similarly, having blue leds on your bike, or red, or green, or what ever is not considered illegal either... There are plenty of vehilces with them on...

Quote Originally Posted by Draiter View Post
    Having flashing vale stem lights is not a major problem as they become solid when the bike is moving... No cop in their right mind is going to pull you over for that.... You can also get solild valve stem lights... Having blue, red, or what ever colour valve stem lights doesn't make a difference either. The flashing lights the HTA refers is NOT intended to encompass those lights on your valve stems.
    Similarly, having blue leds on your bike, or red, or green, or what ever is not considered illegal either... There are plenty of vehilces with them on...
    Is the LED obscured at any point through its arc? The answer is obviously yes, and so there is no question that it remains intermittent. You could argue that it's solid on a car, but I think you'd lose that argument in court also.

Draiter

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Is the LED obscured at any point through its arc? The answer is obviously yes, and so there is no question that it remains intermittent. You could argue that it's solid on a car, but I think you'd lose that argument in court also.
    Put this question to a lawyer friend of mine.... the intermitent the HTA is talking about has to do with the functioning of the light itself and does not included being obstructed and then unobstructed by a part of the vehicle.

The reason I say that is because Headlight Modulators are not illegal and flash.... Similarly, tail light modulators Flash and they not illegal...

It certainly would be an interesting arguement in court... Could go either way depending on the Justice of the Peace....

I had red blinking valve stems on my Honda Aero for three years and never had any problem ONCE.. Also had red leds throughout the bike and never had a problem... It could be a hit or miss thing I think....
    Last edited by Draiter; 12-31-2007 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Draiter View Post
    Put this question to a lawyer friend of mine.... the intermitent the HTA is talking about has to do with the functioning of the light itself and does not included being obstructed and then unobstructed by a part of the vehicle.

The reason I say that is because Headlight Modulators are not illegal and flash.... Similarly, tail light modulators Flash and they not illegal...

It certainly would be an interesting arguement in court... Could go either way depending on the Justice of the Peace....

I had red blinking valve stems on my Honda Aero for three years and never had any problem ONCE.. Also had red leds throughout the bike and never had a problem... It could be a hit or miss thing I think....
    If you check Section 62 (Lamps) in the HTA, you'll find that there is no mention that it is permissible that the light be intermittent based on being obscured by a portion of the vehicle. Based on the HTA's wording itself, it is illegal. You'd have to convince the JP that there was, in fact, some sort of reasonable interpretation to the contrary.