Kimpex $30.99 CAD grip heaters - Initial review

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimpex $30.99 CAD grip heaters - Initial review

Kimpex $30.99 CAD grip heaters - Initial review

From Canadian tire - of all places...

Well, I installed these bad boys yesterday, and today was my first ride with them. (60 kms at about 4 degrees C. - Oshawa to Toronto).

They are simply amazing. Installation was simple, and functionality is amazing.
    On high, they are toasty warm, even through my leather gloves.

I was a little bit sceptical about how much heat would get through the gloves, cause after all, the gloves are designed to insulate. But to my surprise, my entire hand was extremely warm (not hot, but very warm).
    My bike still has the stock appearance, and stock feel (I like my stock grips). and at this price, you can't go wrong.

My hands were not even a little bit cold this morning. I strongly recommend this product., if you are like me, and ride unless there is snow on the ground!

I measured the current draw @ 4.2 amps at 14.3 volts.. = 60 watts in total (30 watts per grip)

Re: Kimpex $30.99 CAD grip heaters - Initial review

For $30.00 it's a bargain. Simply put if you are riding in Novemeber onwards you need these, i went many years thinking i didn't need them. I fired them up last week and all i can say is wow.

If you have two left hands and are worried about installing them this guy does good work. He also fixes the cold left hand grip compared to the right hand grip.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...t=heated+grips

Check this out if you need instructions on how to install them:
    http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i...howtopic=37674

combine that with a heated vest and you are good for many more riding days than many other people.
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

BTW, Canadian Tire has a sale on:

only $ 23.24!!!
    PB

"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own." -- Les Dawson.

Quote Originally Posted by peanut butter View Post
    BTW, Canadian Tire has a sale on:

only $ 23.24!!!

Which Canadian tire?
    I didn't know about a sale?

They're on sale this week. Check for availability on the website, there's a function that tells you if any of the CT stores have it in stock in your area. Laird & Eglinton had one a few days ago.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

Indeed they heat up nicely; one should make sure to insert something beneath the heating element on the left handle bar, because if you stick it directly to the metal most heat will dissipate into the handlebar. I'd suggest a think piece of wool, as that is a good heat insulating material. The heating element is a sticker, so make sure you take the paper backing off to get the element ready to stick.

It's also a good idea to put it on the key on/off circuit so that you don't forget the heaters on and drain the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by ikoflexer View Post
    They're on sale this week. Check for availability on the website, there's a function that tells you if any of the CT stores have it in stock in your area. Laird & Eglinton had one a few days ago.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

Indeed they heat up nicely; one should make sure to insert something beneath the heating element on the left handle bar, because if you stick it directly to the metal most heat will dissipate into the handlebar. I'd suggest a think piece of wool, as that is a good heat insulating material. The heating element is a sticker, so make sure you take the paper backing off to get the element ready to stick.

It's also a good idea to put it on the key on/off circuit so that you don't forget the heaters on and drain the battery.

Awesome.. I'm gonna go back to CT and get my $8.84 back..
    What a sweet deal.

DJ, did you glue your grips on? I find that when my grips heat up, they become soft and they spin on the handle bars...
    '08 ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by wedginator View Post
    DJ, did you glue your grips on? I find that when my grips heat up, they become soft and they spin on the handle bars...

I've done, or at least helped with, OBR44's, Trini2Dbone's, Da-Blade's, and my own, and none of them slide at all when cold or hot!

What did you use to put the grips back on?

In all cases, we used 1 or 2 wraps of electrical tape under the heating element, nothing over the heating element, cleaned in the inside of the grip thouroughly, used a heat gun to warm up the grip, then a little bit of windex was used to help lubricate the intstall, and within a few minutes, the grip was stuck in there good, no slip at all...

Someone I know... & I won't mention any names, used Pam cooking spray to put the grips back on, but his still slide around.

Interestingly enough, 's grips get the hottest... as if the Pam is acting as a thermal transfer enhancer (like heat sink compound). But I'd much rather have my grips tight and secure. ( 's only get a few degree's hotter, but enough to notice).

LOL...

I used shoe-goop to stick them on... I guess the goop doens't like heat... I will pull my grips off again and clean them and re-installing it using your way...
    '08 ZX6R

My grip heaters are on their way!!! Ordered from Royal Distributing for $25. Also picked up a new helmet for my daughter. Only $50!!!

A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once.

'08 Yamaha WR250X (SuperRetard)
    '03 Suzuki SV1000S Current (Silver Surfer)

'07 Aprilia SXV 5.5 Teefed (Redstar)
    '04 Honda 1000RR Previous (Red1.2)
    '05 Yamaha R6 Previous (Red1)
    '89 Suzuki GS500E Previous (SuziQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Steinberg c/o bjturner View Post
    Tim, if you are reading all this, you should grow the **** up and not be such a ******. you give all us Canadians a bad name. ps, you are no longer welcome here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Steinberg c/o bjturner View Post

Ben Steinberg Deals Gap Resort Manager

Once the grips are on, do they stay on the bike permanently? ie. do you need to take em off in summer ?

would these work on a 4ah battery? I know someone who has a scooter and would suggest these to him.

ROFL ... bhahahaha... I think I know this dude...

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    I've done, or at least helped with, OBR44's, Trini2Dbone's, Da-Blade's, and my own, and none of them slide at all when cold or hot!

What did you use to put the grips back on?

In all cases, we used 1 or 2 wraps of electrical tape under the heating element, nothing over the heating element, cleaned in the inside of the grip thouroughly, used a heat gun to warm up the grip, then a little bit of windex was used to help lubricate the intstall, and within a few minutes, the grip was stuck in there good, no slip at all...

Someone I know... & I won't mention any names, used Pam cooking spray to put the grips back on, but his still slide around.

Interestingly enough, 's grips get the hottest... as if the Pam is acting as a thermal transfer enhancer (like heat sink compound). But I'd much rather have my grips tight and secure. ( 's only get a few degree's hotter, but enough to notice).
    -- Me fail English? That's unpossible.
    -- This is the sort of English up with which I will not put.

Quote Originally Posted by mystifier View Post
    Once the grips are on, do they stay on the bike permanently? ie. do you need to take em off in summer ?
    They're intended to stay on permanently. A lot of work to disassemble it because there's a lot of wiring. Also the hole drilled for the switch would look ugly.
    '08 ZX6R

Thanks for the info! Picked them up today with a thumb warmer (for my father's ATV). The Cambridge store on Pinebush told me it was their last set. It didn't even show up on their computer - as well, they are not gonna be ordered anymore to "that" location...

Cheers and great find!

I tried cleaning them and slipping them on without glue but they still spun... maybe it's just me... BUT since I rather be safe than sorry, i took out the ol' JB Weld and stuck my grips on... Yea, that'll show the grips to spin...

Me: 1 Grips: 0

I'll see how it has cured in the morning and hopefully I didn't JB Weld my throttle shut cuz some oozed out...
    '08 ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by mystifier View Post
    once installed, they are virtually invisible... you leave them installed forever, but only switch them "ON" when needed. (comes with a high/low switch).

Quote Originally Posted by Snot View Post
    would these work on a 4ah battery? I know someone who has a scooter and would suggest these to him.
    Battery capacity is irrelevant.. what matters is your bike/scooters charging system capacity (alternator or generator + regulator/rectifier). As long as it can handle an extra ~60 watts (just under 4 amps), your good to go. Would need to check the specs of the scooter...
    Last edited by djltoronto; 11-20-2007 at 12:27 AM. Reason: still learning to spell

Quote Originally Posted by wedginator View Post
    I tried cleaning them and slipping them on without glue but they still spun... maybe it's just me... BUT since I rather be safe than sorry, i took out the ol' JB Weld and stuck my grips on... Yea, that'll show the grips to spin...

Me: 1 Grips: 0

I'll see how it has cured in the morning and hopefully I didn't JB Weld my throttle shut cuz some oozed out...

I hope you NEVER have to change your grips EVER>>>>cause you'll need a grinder! ha ha..

if that doesn't hold 'em... nothing will..