State-farm bait and switch?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State-farm bait and switch?

State-farm bait and switch?

I have just got some good quotes from Steve Worden's office and Leanne Besky's office. Anyone have experience with either? I'd like to go forward with the insurance but I want to make sure I don't get scammed in two month's with an unjustified price increase.

Thanks,
    Dan

Re: State-farm bait and switch?

They've been ok with me. No hikes since May.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Which office/broker are you with? Apparently, each one is different.

hmmm...i don't think they can justify a huge increase unless you didn't mention something in your application or whatever. like...if they discover that you actually ran a stopsign 2 1/2 years ago...but you failed to mention it...(or some other offense) then they can raise rates on you...

i think...

Quote Originally Posted by Fonzy View Post
    I have just got some good quotes from Steve Worden's office and Leanne Besky's office. Anyone have experience with either? I'd like to go forward with the insurance but I want to make sure I don't get scammed in two month's with an unjustified price increase.

Thanks,
    Dan

For some reason my post got misplaced. I dealt with Dean Yorke. Another friend of mind dealt with him through a major claim process and he was top-notch. Since he's in the boons, I did everything via phone/fax.
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blackenese View Post
    hmmm...i don't think they can justify a huge increase unless you didn't mention something in your application or whatever. like...if they discover that you actually ran a stopsign 2 1/2 years ago...but you failed to mention it...(or some other offense) then they can raise rates on you...

i think...
    fbsy have 60 days to adjust the rate

The reason I started this thread is due to this old thread...

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...highlight=bait

...which basically states that they gave him/her a bike only quote and then within 2 months State farm increased the monthly payment as he/she didnt qualify for a multiline discount...well yeah, thats why it was a bike only quote.

I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone with either of the brokers I have mentioned?

Not with Dean Yorke. Bike only's 900 per year, with a multiline, it would be 600 but I wouldn't save any money because I'm getting a better cage insurance rate and I like my cage insurance broker.

well i switched to state farm in Jun 07, and got really good rates on my bike and car, but a couple of weeks ago they called me to find out the out-come of a court date i had (speeding) which was weird i thought i was locked in and my record won't be pulled up, but to my surprise my insurance went up 1000/year effective renewal date, and for three years starting on the conviction date, not the offense date.

Nas

masalma: curious...how did they know you were charged? only convictions show on an MVR. also, how many kms over? any prior convictions (if you don't mind me asking). it would help clarify the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by rctyler View Post
    masalma: curious...how did they know you were charged? only convictions show on an MVR. also, how many kms over? any prior convictions (if you don't mind me asking). it would help clarify the situation.
    well when i first switched to state farm, i had a court date on the same week, and forgot about it, and was convicted. then it showed up on my record, and i filed a motion to reopen the case and judge granted and then it went off my abstract.
    i was doing 47km/h over the limit.

but i was told they can pull up ur abstract any time they want.

Nas

they can pull an MVR whenever they want, but can't re-rate you mid-term. i believe they have 60 days after a NEW policy is issued to re-rate based on new info, but after that they've got to wait until renewal. unless of course the new info makes you a decline according to their filed rules.

additional $1000 for 1 minor conviction seems expensive! maybe state farm isn't such a good deal!

Quote Originally Posted by rctyler View Post
    they can pull an MVR whenever they want, but can't re-rate you mid-term. i believe they have 60 days after a NEW policy is issued to re-rate based on new info, but after that they've got to wait until renewal. unless of course the new info makes you a decline according to their filed rules.

additional $1000 for 1 minor conviction seems expensive! maybe state farm isn't such a good deal!
    as they said, i was on their A-Plan, and now they are moving me to the B-Plan, and you are right the insurance is going up when it comes time for renewal, and will go back after three years from the conviction date not the offense date.

Nas

I couldn't believe my eye's when I saw this thread. I'M GOING THROUGH THIS BS WITH STATEFARM RIGHT NOW.

Just a little background...I just moved to Toronto from Montreal last year. I was dealing with Erin from Mike Francis' office however she's no longer there. When I was getting the insurance from them I had submitted my driver's abstract and proof of insurance in Quebec to Erin as she had requested. Last month I get a call from Andrea from the same office advising me that Erin's no longer there and that they need my driver's abstract info and insurance info otherwise they will cancel my insurance on Nov. 7th. I explained that I had already given that to Erin but they don't know what happened to it.

Anyways, I re-submit the info to Andrea and after a few days she lets me know that everything's ok....that is until I get my most recent statement from Statefarm stating that my insurance policy has been reinstated (Andrea confirmed that it was never cancelled) and also that there's a premium correction of over $600 to cover the difference in premium from the effective date to the current date.

Now I was reading up in this forum and it seems like Statefarm has pulled this stunt on several people already. I know that the original "contract" that I signed was just an estimate, however once I receive the final copy from the underwriter/insurer then the rate is fixed. To add to that, people are saying that the insurance companies have up to 60 days to make changes....well in my case it was over the 60 days.

Anyhow...Mike Francis' office still hasn't gotten back to me yet with a reason for the hike so I'm gonna have to call them on Monday to find out....it there's still no answer then I'll be putting a stop payment on my bank account.

Any comments or advise?

Thanks.
    2011 Ducati 848 EVO Dark Stealth

Banned

if it is over 60 days then they cannot legally modify your statement unless there is a case of non-discolsure

Quote Originally Posted by rukus View Post
    if it is over 60 days then they cannot legally modify your statement unless there is a case of non-discolsure
    yeah but they can change it when it comes time for renewal motorcycle is yearly, and cars are every 6 months

so you can only get away from it for a few months.

Nas

Answering the original post: I'm with Leane Besky, got a very good rate and I haven't had any BS from them, very nice people, didn't push too hard to get other stuff over (all I have there is the bike). I'm going to suspend my insurance over the winter to save some coin too.
    My ride: Suzuki GSX-R600

Burlington during the week / Pickering most weekends

I got screwed by State Farm as well. Was paying $100 a month and then moved out of my parent's house so I could be closer to work and they called me to say now I have to pay $150 a month.

So instead of driving 100km to work, I now drive 4 km and my rate goes up?

I am looking for a new insurance company.

Quote Originally Posted by GSXStone View Post
    Answering the original post: I'm with Leane Besky, got a very good rate and I haven't had any BS from them, very nice people, didn't push too hard to get other stuff over (all I have there is the bike). I'm going to suspend my insurance over the winter to save some coin too.
    I doubt that would save you money, because for winter months it is only about 2% / month, so if u r on monthly payment plan, u might owing them money.

If i understood correctly what u r trying to do.

Nas

Quote Originally Posted by mjavor View Post
    I got screwed by State Farm as well. Was paying $100 a month and then moved out of my parent's house so I could be closer to work and they called me to say now I have to pay $150 a month.

So instead of driving 100km to work, I now drive 4 km and my rate goes up?

I am looking for a new insurance company.
    The area you live in now might be considered a high risk area. For example, insurance should cost more for a person on the same bike in Toronto as opposed to Sudbury, if you catch my drift... crazy cabbies.