Stunting - Standing on Your Pegs? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stunting - Standing on Your Pegs?

Re: Stunting - Standing on Your Pegs?

Quote Originally Posted by spankayf View Post
    I was reading the letter in Sat's Wheels section and there was a letter written by a guy who was riding his DRZ400 and decided to stretch his legs by standing on the pegs. Not an unreseanoble thing to do since thats the prescribed riding positon for off road riding.

Well he gets pulled over and warned by the OPP and told that is considered stunting. At least he got a warning but cmon isnt that the advised position if you have to take a rough patch in the road?
    That is very scary. I've got the same bike and on gravel roads I'm always standing - hell it's how I was taught by the guys at Trail Tours.

Yikes.
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko G View Post
    I dont know how anybody here feels about this, but this new law is really worrying me. Not just for the fact that they can take your vehicle with only suspecting you were racing, but also the fact that it may be setting precident for other laws where they wont need proof to convict you. Maybe soon they will convict people for murder just because an officer "assumed" it was you. Its actually pretty serious, and if something isnt done about this new law, Canada will be seeing very bad days up ahead, a la 1984.

What happened to the good old days of Canada, when it was "Innocent, until proven guilty?"

Honestly, i can see myself moving to Europe one day, just because of the driving laws, and the insurance policies.
    Actually, the precedent was already set when the courts accepted the 90-day automatic impaired-driving suspension. This takes that idea much further, of course.

The next year or two will make the difference whether I move out of this country, also. If the courts say "This has gone too far", perhaps I'll stay. If the courts let it stand, it may take some time, but eventually I'm outta here.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Actually, the precedent was already set when the courts accepted the 90-day automatic impaired-driving suspension. This takes that idea much further, of course.

The next year or two will make the difference whether I move out of this country, also. If the courts say "This has gone too far", perhaps I'll stay. If the courts let it stand, it may take some time, but eventually I'm outta here.
    Don't plan on moving to the US, to get away from it. They're starting this crap in some jurisdictions down there also. Then there's always that whole loss of privacy thing.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Sad, very sad. Scary even more so.
    Dem man nah realize de way I do de technology way don't I identify dey oola dem idiot sound bwoy already ya nah rude bwoy

not many people are actually thinking about this law deeply. Sadly, it is very scary if you truly think about it. Canada will be something else very soon if it keeps up like this, not "the land of the free."

Why haven't they banned cellphone use in cars? Wouldn't you think that is more of a danger than a guy standing on his pegs?

Quote Originally Posted by Android Cat View Post
    Okay, I'm stumped. How do you show your intention of lifting all the wheels off the ground, flap your arms?
    An officer could consider it showing your intention if you stand on the pegs prior to hitting an expansion joint, as I previously stated, then catching some air as you go over it. It isn't your fault, it's poor road maintenance and your experience telling you to use your legs as an additional shock absorber. The officer might not understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by klr_guy View Post
    That is very scary. I've got the same bike and on gravel roads I'm always standing - hell it's how I was taught by the guys at Trail Tours.

Yikes.
    And in my many times at FAST and on track days I've learnt that shifting your butt off the seat improves traction and makes for safer cornering. It's comical at this point that I can barely stop myself from doing this in 20 Kmh corners, because it has become such an ingrained part of my riding style. It might get me nailed for stunting.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    And in my many times at FAST and on track days I've learnt that shifting your butt off the seat improves traction and makes for safer cornering. It's comical at this point that I can barely stop myself from doing this in 20 Kmh corners, because it has become such an ingrained part of my riding style. It might get me nailed for stunting.
    I'm pretty sure a cop in a bad mood who's had a couple of run-ins with bikers would nail you for hanging off in a corner. They would say it looks a lot like stunting, and you're not technically sitting in the driver's seat. Besides, it doesn't really matter what argument they give in favour of the charge, because they don't have to give you a reason. "In my opinion your behaviour fits the definition of stunting. A tow truck is on its way". Cry, scream, and kick. Hell, hire a lawyer and defeat the charge. You're still losing your bike and license for a week.

Good times.

--- D

Don't plan on moving to the US, to get away from it. They're starting this crap in some jurisdictions down there also. Then there's always that whole loss of privacy thing.
    Not thinking about US, for exactly that reason. I'm thinking Spain, Germany, or South Africa - the latter because it's English-speaking. There's someone on CMGonline who moved to Brazil and seems happy there. England is not an option. It seems to be almost the entire English-speaking world, with the exception of South Africa, who seem to be gradually having their democratic societes erode away.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Not thinking about US, for exactly that reason. I'm thinking Spain, Germany, or South Africa - the latter because it's English-speaking. There's someone on CMGonline who moved to Brazil and seems happy there. England is not an option. It seems to be almost the entire English-speaking world, with the exception of South Africa, who seem to be gradually having their democratic societes erode away.
    Yes, I know about "Wanderer" and his constant baiting with how much better life is in Brazil. Sure it is. As long as you've made your retirement money in a place like Canada and can afford to lord it over the locals. He still has to put his time in here to get his pension and maintain his lifestyle though.

You might consider the Caribbean, as long as you can live with the odd hurricane pasting your property. The lifestyle wouldn't be too bad and and there are enough English speaking islands.

Ultimately I think that it's better to stay here and fight for what is right. I could be making more money in the southern 'States right now and own substantial property, but I'm a CANADIAN dammit.
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 11-13-2007 at 12:47 PM.

Ultimately I think that it's better to stay here and fight for what is right. I could be making more money in the southern 'States right now and own substantial property, but I'm a CANADIAN dammit.
    That is exactly how I feel. I could easily go get my american citizenship and be making tons more cash in the LA film/TV industry but I don't want to be an american and I don't want to live in the states (lots of family there). In the end Canada is my home and I think it is a better balance of other countries. I love how Canada is in North America but has very european leanings in how we do things. I just hope with the current conservative government pandering to the Bush Admin that we don't lose our european connection and try and be more like the states or even a state ourselves.

there is only one thing to do

glue a seat to your ***!