Stunting - Standing on Your Pegs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stunting - Standing on Your Pegs?

Stunting - Standing on Your Pegs?

I was reading the letter in Sat's Wheels section and there was a letter written by a guy who was riding his DRZ400 and decided to stretch his legs by standing on the pegs. Not an unreseanoble thing to do since thats the prescribed riding positon for off road riding.

Well he gets pulled over and warned by the OPP and told that is considered stunting. At least he got a warning but cmon isnt that the advised position if you have to take a rough patch in the road?

Re: Stunting - Standing on Your Pegs?

damn....i do that ALL the time

wtf. It says right in the motorcycle M1 book that you should stand up a bit on your pegs when you go across a rough patch in the road.
    Soon enough any type of leaning will be considered stunting. I would not be surprised if some people dont know motorcycles have to lean. How could something on two wheels be safe it if does not stand straight up?

Jeff_89

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    wtf. It says right in the motorcycle M1 book that you should stand up a bit on your pegs when you go across a rough patch in the road.
    Soon enough any type of leaning will be considered stunting. I would not be surprised if some people dont know motorcycles have to lean. How could something on two wheels be safe it if does not stand straight up?
    Hmmm, thats a hard one. I think we'll have to ask an expert. Anyone see Cam Wooley?

Sometimes I rise a little bit to adjust the "boys." "Your Lordship, I was standing on my pegs to rearrange the position of my testicles."

Quite a few people, including myself, have raised this concern. The rules were written by people who have never ridden a motorcycle. It needs to get changed.

Once again, WRITE TO YOUR MPP and the Minister of Transport. In this particular case, point out the clause in the handbook. It's not going to get changed unless enough people yell and scream.

I would LOVE to get my bike impounded for this. I'd be laughing all the way to the bank after I was acquitted of the charge, I'd slap a nice hefty lawsuit on the government for their theft of my money (impound fees) pre-trial.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Trouble is that if standing on the pegs has been "defined" to be an illegal act, it matters not whether it is safe or not and it matters not whether the law makes sense or not. You did it, it was illegal, you got penalized.

Doesn't make it right, but until this gets clarified, I wouldn't go pushing your luck. WRITE LETTERS.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Trouble is that if standing on the pegs has been "defined" to be an illegal act, it matters not whether it is safe or not and it matters not whether the law makes sense or not. You did it, it was illegal, you got penalized.

Doesn't make it right, but until this gets clarified, I wouldn't go pushing your luck. WRITE LETTERS.
    I think that it'll come down to arguing the intent of the law, rather than the letter, when it gets to court. Standing on the pegs because your legs are tired would not be an ideal situation to argue this. Precedent should be set by someone crossing train tracks or an expansion joint on a major highway first.

One of my fears with this new law is that I'll be riding on the 401 at night and stand on the pegs to absorb the shock. As anyone who has ridden over these rather excessive heaves can attest, you can easily catch some air off of these. In fact it's frequently difficult not to, at anything over 40 Kmh. What I'm worried about is some cop catching this out of the corner of his eye and thinking that I just dropped a wheelie or made a jump on purpose. Buh-bye bike and license for a week.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I think of all the times after 400 ~ 500 klicks I've stood up for 30 seconds or so to get some circulation back in my butt....and there's usually at least 2 or 3 others in the group doing the same.
    Damn!!

o gosh streching is a crime now!!

Bill 203 states that "Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to lift some or all of its tires from the surface of the highway, including driving a motorcycle with only one wheel in contact with the ground".

The big phrase in this section is INDICATES AN INTENTION. iThis means that if the offficer thinks that you intend to do a wheelie he can inforce this section.

I hope that common sence prevails in all cases of stretching your legs or going over train tracks etc. as it did in this case.

Remember treat the officer as you would want to be treated. If you are being an ***** so will he.
    ROADRASH - A mid winter skin condition caused by the stress of not riding my bike!!
    http://madleyphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by 7614 View Post
    Bill 203 states that "Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to lift some or all of its tires from the surface of the highway, including driving a motorcycle with only one wheel in contact with the ground".
    Okay, I'm stumped. How do you show your intention of lifting all the wheels off the ground, flap your arms?
    MyBikeWiki Handy indexed links.

Quote Originally Posted by Android Cat View Post
    Okay, I'm stumped. How do you show your intention of lifting all the wheels off the ground, flap your arms?
    I don't know but that's how it is worded.
    ROADRASH - A mid winter skin condition caused by the stress of not riding my bike!!
    http://madleyphotography.com

The big phrase in this section is INDICATES AN INTENTION. iThis means that if the offficer thinks that you intend to do a wheelie he can inforce this section.

I hope that common sence prevails in all cases of stretching your legs or going over train tracks etc. as it did in this case.

Remember treat the officer as you would want to be treated. If you are being an ***** so will he.
    Note that the section that affects standing on the pegs does not mention anything about intent, unlike the wheelie clause:
    Driving a motor vehicle while the driver is not sitting in the driver’s seat.
    Since there is no need to prove intent, this is a much easier offense to prosecute than wheelies/stoppies.
    WeeStrom!

That is so screwed up. They don't even have to witness you break a law but just suspect or read your mind and know that you intend to do something bad. What is this 'The minority report' when they arrest you for crimes you might committ in the future. lol what a joke. This whole bill is worded with too many things that aren't real evidence.

Sorry, I had misread your comment in my last reply. You are right, the wording does appear to say that you can be charged based on whether an officer believes that you appear (intend) to pull a wheelie at some future time.

But I believe it is supposed to be interpreted such that if you pull a wheelie, they need to prove that you did it intentionally in order to get a conviction.
    WeeStrom!

Gh0sT

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Not to mention when going over train tracks.

I dont know how anybody here feels about this, but this new law is really worrying me. Not just for the fact that they can take your vehicle with only suspecting you were racing, but also the fact that it may be setting precident for other laws where they wont need proof to convict you. Maybe soon they will convict people for murder just because an officer "assumed" it was you. Its actually pretty serious, and if something isnt done about this new law, Canada will be seeing very bad days up ahead, a la 1984.

What happened to the good old days of Canada, when it was "Innocent, until proven guilty?"

Honestly, i can see myself moving to Europe one day, just because of the driving laws, and the insurance policies.

something that i have wondering about is...is riding with one hand considered stunting?....(resting clutch hand)

i guess it depends on which moron you run into.