50 over bad, 40 over good?

Thread: 50 over bad, 40 over good?

Jae Ruff

50 over bad, 40 over good?

i spend a significant time on the roads and have noticed the bar being raised on speed. seems to me the rate of accepted( just the public of course) is now 140kph. most know if you kept it under 120kph you were not going to be bothered. since this new 50 over laws come into effect, people are going way faster. the" im not doing 50 over so im good to 140" effect if you will. anyone else notice this?

Re: 50 over bad, 40 over good?

anyone been on the 407 lately its still a 140 minimum lol.

SpeedFreak

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Ruff View Post
    i spend a significant time on the roads and have noticed the bar being raised on speed. seems to me the rate of accepted( just the public of course) is now 140kph. most know if you kept it under 120kph you were not going to be bothered. since this new 50 over laws come into effect, people are going way faster. the" im not doing 50 over so im good to 140" effect if you will. anyone else notice this?
    I noticed the same thing...thought it was just me

big_mac_daddy

because of all the hype I think drivers are under the assumption that the only ticket that cops are giving out now is for going 50 over.

lol, its so true though. I know when im driving, as long as i stay under 150, i think, "who cares, im fine." Even though, 148 is still pretty damn fast.

A lot are probably the ones who used to do 50+ and maybe a few others are ones who used to do 20-30 over, who would never do 50+ and so are blending into the 40 over crowd.

OR maybe I'm wrong ... oh, hell ...

No, I think it's been like this for a long while. We are just noticing now because we are paying more attention.

A lot of people drive at ~140 kph every fricking day. No big deal... It has been like that for a long time.

I am the guy who has been saying (and posting) that 150 kph is really nothing. It's nothing, I tell you, NOTHING! Just the usual, back-and-forth commute to the office.
    Security transcends technology

I've noticed the same thing. Had to keep looking at my speedo to make sure I was still under the 50 mark.. Before to me, it seemed as though most people did 30 over, and now it's 40 over.

Oh well.

Angus...
    "The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites."

- Thomas Jefferson

unfortunately with this new law, i'm looking through my rear view mirror and side mirrors more than the front.

and the roads are still the same, cause its not the speed that kills

I feel MUCH safer on the 407 @ 140kph than the 401 @ 120kph because generally people who drive on the 407 are better drivers. (my own opinion)
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Yeah I've noticed the same thing, but like someone said before, it's because we are looking for it. It's not a big ticket risk anymore to go 40 over. I passed an opp cruiser at a speed which i should have been stopped for ( didn't notice i was going that fast) but because it didn't apply to the new stunting law the cop ignored me. So i guess even 49 over is ok for them too. It's the 50+ that hits their pot belly sweet spot which makes them go oink.

leslie9800

I dont kno about you guys but being a new driver and all and driving on the don valley scares me. Expecially with all these people going around 120 around those turns. I was doing 100 and I could feel the pressure of the tail gater behind me lol. Once i was doing 100 and a opp officer was tail gating me -_- he eventually moved to another lane and went 120. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by leslie9800 View Post
    I dont kno about you guys but being a new driver and all and driving on the don valley scares me. Expecially with all these people going around 120 around those turns. I was doing 100 and I could feel the pressure of the tail gater behind me lol. Once i was doing 100 and a opp officer was tail gating me -_- he eventually moved to another lane and went 120. lol.
    Glad to see that as a new driver you're taking in easy. Don't be scared of the DVP though, it's not that bad. If it'll make you feel better, on an 05 SV650 with good tires ALL turns on the DVP are easy at 200km/h. In a 01 Prelude with good tires, strangely enough, the comfortable speed is around 180km/h although many are ok at 200km/h. Don't ask me how I know.

i drive during rush hour..

if i can get up to 100 kph im happy

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Ruff View Post
    in a recent article in the toronto star, a police officer (i think opp, since it was on the highway) was quoted as saying he caught people doing 48 over on a given night, but not 50. and he was only looking for people doing 50 over. to me he almost seems disappointed not to catch the big speeders, because 48 over isnt good enough

"The last two night shifts when I went out exclusively looking for 50 km/h and above I had none," he said. "The highest speed I had was 48 over, so definitely the knowledge is getting out there."