50 over group

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 over group

50 over group

we should get a whole bunch of ppl to do 150 on teh highways and then everyone to start doing it, they cant tow 1000+ cars a day LOL instead of doing the 100 limit and blocking the highway i say we all speed over 150 but it has to be a ******** of cars for it to work

Re: 50 over group

that is the dumbest idea i've ever heard. If the media logs into this site and sees ideas like this then Fantino will get his way with the 30 over vs. 50 over.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper_05 View Post
    we should get a whole bunch of ppl to do 150 on teh highways and then everyone to start doing it, they cant tow 1000+ cars a day LOL instead of doing the 100 limit and blocking the highway i say we all speed over 150 but it has to be a ******** of cars for it to work
    Do you work for government in the accounting department (is there any other department)? If you do, you should get a bonus for trying to increase revenues. They WILL tow at least half that amount of cars just to prove a point.

I think some people are really failing to see the true problems with this law. The media has done an excellent job of make people focus on the 50 over aspect. The real problems with this law are elsewhere.

You can go speed around in protest all you want but a radar gun is much better proof of guilt then the soccer mom call to the OPP.
    Please promote spelling and grammar:
    www.engrish.com

If you plan on using Civil Disobedience to show that a law is unjust then there are certain things that you have to consider first:

1) Can you afford to pay the price?

2) Does your cause have wide-spread enough support to get the necessary protesters on-board?

3) Does your method of protest hold the moral high ground?

Based on those three criteria I would suspect that your 50-over "protest" would die aborning.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Rob is bang on with his comments. The 50 over is the part where your protest falls apart. In other threads the concept of just doing the limit is discussed. This is the way to go. But, and this is a big but, as Rob said you need wide spread support. If you can somehow organize a couple of hundred riders/drivers to drive on mass at the speed limit you will make a point. Perhaps organize a dozen different places to this around the GTA. You would essentially stop Toronto traffic. It would have to be known to the media so you would get on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    If you plan on using Civil Disobedience to show that a law is unjust then there are certain things that you have to consider first:

2) Does your cause have wide-spread enough support to get the necessary protesters on-board?

Based on those three criteria I would suspect that your 50-over "protest" would die aborning.
    Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

it works for the natives... and they never have to "pay the price"
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

Banned

it b/c theyre a special 'visible minority' and dont have to follow all the rules.

SpeedFreak

Quote Originally Posted by rukus View Post
    it b/c theyre a special 'visible minority' and dont have to follow all the rules.

Then lets get a bunch of natives to do 50 over

dude i dunno how come u can come up with idea like this i dont understand u , first of all if u have a group of ppl who are willing to go 50 over that means u r all scre'w... one phone call ur done riding... i mean i got ****ed for doing 50 over well not that i was doing that speed but **** happens cop didnt get me on the radar got someone else in the front of me and i got charged for the same speed. now im worried if i get convicted how the **** im gonna be able to afford insurance, and who will be willing to insure me at the first place, number 2 hey Am i done riding for next 2-3 years, number 3 **** sake am i gonna have to seel my bike , number 4 **** what if they suspend my licence for more then 6 months ill lose my job... DUDE... forget it not worth it.. if u wanna go go by urself do not invole other ppl cuz once u get **** ull feel like **** cuz u ivnolved some of ur friends and ppl who u dont kno ... i cant explain to u under how much stress i am, i havent slept for good few days, i dun even eat, cuz im worried about my future rite now...

Guys be smart, its end of the seezn and u dun need to do **** like this...

Take care...

1LTRK6
    freaky

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    ... or the postal workers, or UAW, or...

We are none of the above. We have no political power and are generally seen as outcasts. If 100 riders were arrested for doing this, then it wouldn't matter how many of them were 38 year old accountants. The public would be presented with another case of "...those damned evil bikers raising hell again."

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

We are none of the above. We have no political power and are generally seen as outcasts. If 100 riders were arrested for doing this, then it wouldn't matter how many of them were 38 year old accountants. The public would be presented with another case of "...those damned evil bikers raising hell again."

So true....

but i suppose there was always an air of rebelliousness that accompanied the 'motorcycle' experience

Have you heard about this new law Fantino is pushing for...50 over is an automatic curbside execution.......

Somewhere...but I'm not lost. Well...maybe a little.

I like the idea of public displays of civil “obedience” with getting a bunch of people to stick to the speed limit. This has been done several times before of course but usually by just a small group of people. However, doing so is dangerous. I recall the group of students in Georgia who held up 4 lanes of traffic. Each car had a cameraperson documenting it and the risks that people were willing to take to get around them. This included on guy who tried to eventually passed the blockade on the shoulder and he clipped and abandoned car in the attempt.
    fficeffice" />>>
    Now the idea of doing this on bikes is scary. We would need more then just a handful of riders to form each blockade. Two riders per lane would be extremely dangerous; some jerk won’t have a problem risking our lives to try and push through the line.
    >>
    The only safe opportunity to pass would be at merging lanes, which is in itself also illegal. I would say about 10-15 riders for each blockade would do it. All of which would have to be prepared and capable of being run off the road by some cager who is tired of waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by de Jager View Post
    The only safe opportunity to pass would be at merging lanes, which is in itself also illegal. I would say about 10-15 riders for each blockade would do it. All of which would have to be prepared and capable of being run off the road by some cager who is tired of waiting.
    I though that myself, as there is a "passing on the right" charge that is occasionally meted out, but was corrected on this by both the past Transportation Minister and the Commandant of the OPP Traffic Enforcement Division. Apparently there is nothing unlawful about passing in the merge lanes, unless you continue on into the breakdown lane or are driving aggressively (forcing people to let you in, or hit you).

This is exactly correct allot of people already don't like bikes...this kind of thing is what we don't need.
    ROADRASH - A mid winter skin condition caused by the stress of not riding my bike!!
    http://madleyphotography.com

The whole point of civil disobedience is to do something that is technically illegal, but that you believe strongly SHOULD NOT BE illegal. You know you will be arrested, and you will challenge the "rightness" of the law. Think of issues like segregration, abortion by choice, right-to-die cases, and the like. Things that are illegal, but the "disobedient" do not believe that the law is just or right.

Unless you are prepared to argue that it should be legal to go 50+kph over the limit, I don't think you've got the right idea here... It would be like murdering someone to prove that the sentences for murder are too stringent. It just wouldn't be very effective.

--- D

IMO, I would have to say that the first few rows you would definitely place the bikes up front 4 lanes wide and so on depending on how many are willing to show up. backing up the bikes I would recommend that people show up in their cars and follow the bikes just to keep everyone save in front of them in case there is a non protester tired of waiting and decides to execute an unlawfull manouver, this way everyone looks out for each other. Alas this is just wishful thinking!

cmon ppl lets orginize somthing big... lets block all highways and let other 4 wheelers ( ppl ) kno that we are humans too... is not about speeding bikes and cars... its all about fcuking money , "they" are hungry and want our money same law didnt pass in states not that long ago ( what i heard) . yeah seriously... lets do it... go out hit few hways like 401, QEW , 403 and ride in all lanes same speed (speed limit ofcourse) and see if can do anything.. IM WILLING TO DO THAT... whos with me .. we have to do somthing about this and stop talking about it on this forum .. lets go out and show them what we are "family"... if we all go 100 -110 km/h split in 4 groups of 10 bikes each at least , cops cant do **** ... lets go ppl... come out...
    Last edited by infernobuster; 11-13-2007 at 10:11 AM. Reason: language
    freaky

Quote Originally Posted by 1LTRK6 View Post
    its all about fcuking money
    Actually, to Fantino, it's all about "shock and awe." Apparently he thinks that he's going to war in Iraq, not keeping the peace.

lldevil

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Not all natives are that way, please don't stereotype.

As for the topic of this thread, um yeah, not a very smart thing to do.

As for organizing something on the highways, that is just insane. I drive the 404 from Mulock to the DVP and Eglinton everyday and the stuff that I see is just ....... gah .....

Most people on the roads now a days, including some bikes I have seen, have no respect for others around them. They will pretty much do anything and everything to get the one car length closer to their destination. All the crap is enough for me to move to Chapleau. (10 hours north)