Drivers are feeling the weight of Bill 203 - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Drivers are feeling the weight of Bill 203

Re: Drivers are feeling the weight of Bill 203

Quote Originally Posted by GSPLover View Post
    A protest of this nature sure would draw attention to the speed limits and just how low they are. I'd be into it.
    Im in too, and on one wheel the whole time.....Under the speed limmit, checking my blind spots, and signaling all my lane changes too!

I have traditionally been a staunch supporter of law enforcement, and I still cling to the "most are good guys" approach, but it seems, on the issue of HTA enforcement, every day I'm challenged more and more.

This morning I was doing a nice, safe 110kph on the 400 North, trying to move over to the right so I could let all the (much) faster traffic go by. As I was doing so, an OPP cruiser passed me on the right, not going real fast, but maybe a 120-130. He changed lanes in front of me, no turn signal, (if it wasn't an OPP car I would have said he cut me off, but I'll let it slide out of respect). He then changed lanes again to the left lane, where there were two cars going a bit faster than me, let's call it about 115, both passing another car in the center lane. The officer pulled up behind the two cars, to a distance that I would characterize as aggressive tailgating (especially at highway speeds). Both cars, understandably confused, slowed to 100kph, which prevented them from completing their overtake. They eventually managed to pull into the middle lane again, so the cop could accelerate back up to 120-130 and continue on his way up the left lane.

I thought he might put on his lights, as he might have been heading to an emergency. But he wasn't going all that fast, and the lights never came on. I figure he was just conducting his usual business.

It makes it tough when you see law enforcement speeding and driving aggressively, while professing a zero-tolerance, no-sympathy attitude towards offenders.

--- D

Quote Originally Posted by Duster929 View Post
    The officer pulled up behind the two cars, to a distance that I would characterize as aggressive tailgating (especially at highway speeds).
    I witnessed this exact same move by the OPP on the 403 outside of Brantford. I assumed the officer was trying to 'push' the cars ahead to pick up speed so he could throw on the lights but instead the officer in my case crossed back over 2 lanes (no signal) and started tailgating the cars in the right most lane until he exited off the 403. I found it very odd and dangerous.

Are you feeling ok? Maybe you should take the day off, to get back to your usual self....No wait someone hacked your account, that has to be it...

Honestly is this the first time youve seen this ****? Cause I see it everyday, and usually it doesnt bother me that much....

However 2 weeks ago I was walking accross the street crossing the intersection of Eglington and Dixie in Mississauga, heading west and was disscusted at the move I saw a peel police pull at the lights...

He was waiting about half way down a long line up in the left turning lane to turn onto Dixie Northbound. The light turns advanced green and the cars start moving, but not fast enough for him as he realizes hes not going to make it through before the light changes...So what does he do? Pulls out fast without a signal cuts off a car pretty bad and then makes the turn(still no signal) on the outside of the left hand turning lane!...Then he almost hits the car turning left becasue we all know people tend to drift right into the right lane after completing their left hand turn....

So here I am thinking "wow that was a stupid move, sure hope it was for something important" only to see him pull into the Tims and park up to chat it up with his other police buddies....GOOD WORK GUYS THE TIMS LOT IS SAFE! these guys dont drive like they are the law, they drive like their above it....

Quote Originally Posted by Duster929 View Post
    I have traditionally been a staunch supporter of law enforcement, and I still cling to the "most are good guys" approach, but it seems, on the issue of HTA enforcement, every day I'm challenged more and more.

This morning I was doing a nice, safe 110kph on the 400 North, trying to move over to the right so I could let all the (much) faster traffic go by. As I was doing so, an OPP cruiser passed me on the right, not going real fast, but maybe a 120-130. He changed lanes in front of me, no turn signal, (if it wasn't an OPP car I would have said he cut me off, but I'll let it slide out of respect). He then changed lanes again to the left lane, where there were two cars going a bit faster than me, let's call it about 115, both passing another car in the center lane. The officer pulled up behind the two cars, to a distance that I would characterize as aggressive tailgating (especially at highway speeds). Both cars, understandably confused, slowed to 100kph, which prevented them from completing their overtake. They eventually managed to pull into the middle lane again, so the cop could accelerate back up to 120-130 and continue on his way up the left lane.

I thought he might put on his lights, as he might have been heading to an emergency. But he wasn't going all that fast, and the lights never came on. I figure he was just conducting his usual business.

It makes it tough when you see law enforcement speeding and driving aggressively, while professing a zero-tolerance, no-sympathy attitude towards offenders.

--- D
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 11-08-2007 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    This is my favourite line...

"The last two night shifts when I went out exclusively looking for 50 km/h and above I had none," he said. "The highest speed I had was 48 over, so definitely the knowledge is getting out there."
    Probably why Fantino made the comment about "should have gone for 30 instead of 50". Get 'em down to 28 over instead of 48. It's all a game.

D

something seems very wrong with leaving people on the side of the road...
    that's fine, they broke the law but to leave them stranded...what happens if someone decides to try and cross the 401 to get to a mall or pay phone...

Quote Originally Posted by D View Post
    that's fine, they broke the law but to leave them stranded...what happens if someone decides to try and cross the 401 to get to a mall or pay phone...
    ... or go into diabetic shock, or suffer from some other medical condition after having been left at the side of the road. It could get quite expensive for some police department.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    ... or go into diabetic shock, or suffer from some other medical condition after having been left at the side of the road. It could get quite expensive for some police department.
    not to mention getting struck by debris from a tractor trailer or car. Officers are the first people to say that the side of a 400 series highway is not a safe place to be so why leave families there to fend for themselves. That is just over the top. Unfortunately it will take a death or serious injury before the practice changes. Remember all these unsafe procedures are in the name of saftey. lol

A protest of this nature sure would draw attention to the speed limits and just how low they are. I'd be into it.
    Like Rob pointed out in another thread, this type of protest is obstruction and we can get pulled over, then worked over for whatever they feel like ticketing us for.

There was a suggestion about occupying all but the left most passing lane, with everyone doing speed limit.

The DVP/404 would draw a lot of publicity (and most Toronto cops seem to be nice about it, or at least understand the pedestrian point of view - compared with Peel/OPP at least).

Let's get the ball rolling on this!

I'm willing to give Mr. Stainthorpe the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't aware of the new penalties for doing 50+ based on the reasoning that perhaps he does not habitually drive at those speeds like some of us do or used to and so didn't think much about going that fast that one time.

He most likely did hear about the new penalties but didn't really register with him. Not that relevant to him or important.

Think of why we can't get Bill 203 out of our heads and why we debate it here. I will admit that it was very relevant to me. What say you? So we watch our speedo and surroundings (for cops) constantly.

So to possible explain why the wide spectrum of people caught. You have those ('regulars') who were too stupid and arrogant to tone it down and those ('non-regulars') who just got caught in the net. The 'smart' ones just toned it down and are more cautious about opening her up.

Just some ideas, no excuses. To the 'righteous' ones on this board, take your dogma elsewhere if your reply is going to sound like a broken record.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackenese View Post
    Like Rob pointed out in another thread, this type of protest is obstruction and we can get pulled over, then worked over for whatever they feel like ticketing us for.

There was a suggestion about occupying all but the left most passing lane, with everyone doing speed limit.

The DVP/404 would draw a lot of publicity (and most Toronto cops seem to be nice about it, or at least understand the pedestrian point of view - compared with Peel/OPP at least).

Let's get the ball rolling on this!
    How on EARTH is doing the speed limit OBSTRUCTION!!!?
    There is NO law that states you cannot drive at the limit beside another car! Most absurd thing Ive heard in a while.
    If you refuse to move over for a cruiser, ambulance etc then yes I can see that.
    If you try to make it idiot-proof, someone will just make a better idiot....

Quote Originally Posted by D View Post

When she stated that she was left stranded at the side of the road I think she ment to say that she did not have a ride home and had to call a cab. If the officer left her alone at the side of the road on a highway that would have been a serious neglect of duty. I think that (stranded) is being taken out of context.
    ROADRASH - A mid winter skin condition caused by the stress of not riding my bike!!
    http://madleyphotography.com

FYI
    Jamaica, I third world country who just built a highway in the last 10 years has a maximum speed limit of 110km/h. Oh and for a majority of the way it's 2 lanes in both directions so it would be more dangerous. So appearently the Lada's (I know they have more souped up cars than we do) can handle those speeds at close proximity to one another but us north americans with our high tech proformance machines need to be made an example of.
    Last edited by strictlye; 11-08-2007 at 01:24 PM.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

Ok but this needs to be fixed, and not on Jamaican time! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by strictlye View Post
    FYI
    Jamaica, I third world country who just built a highway in the last 10 years has a maximum speed limit of 110km/h. Oh and for a majority of the way it's 2 lanes in both directions so it would be more dangerous.

Banned

It's only obstruction if you're in the left lane... so basically, if you wanna "protest" by doing the speed limit you can't block the entire highway. The left lane is for passing.

Quote Originally Posted by kramer View Post
    It's only obstruction if you're in the left lane... so basically, if you wanna "protest" by doing the speed limit you can't block the entire highway. The left lane is for passing.
    The "fast lane" doesn't mean that you can go over 100km/h. It's assuming that everyone else is doing less than 100km/h so those of us who are crazy enough to do the LIMIT can go into the fast lane.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Ok but this needs to be fixed, and not on Jamaican time! LOL
    LOL, true

Quote Originally Posted by kramer View Post
    So, the left lane is reserved for those breaking the law. Except they're not breaking the law, because they won't be pulled over for exceeding the limit. You will be pulled over for sticking to the limit, and not allowing the offender to exceed the limit and get past you, because in so doing, you are breaking the law.

Welcome to bizarro world.

--- D

There is NO law that states you cannot drive at the limit beside another car! Most absurd thing Ive heard in a while.
    If you refuse to move over for a cruiser, ambulance etc then yes I can see that.
    455/07.3.8- Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,
    i. driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to prevent another vehicle from passing,
    ii. stopping or slowing down a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates the driver's sole intention in stopping or slowing down is to interfere with the movement of another vehicle by cutting off its passage on the highway or to cause another vehicle to stop or slow down in circumstances where the other vehicle would not ordinarily do so,
    iii. driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to drive, without justification, as close as possible to another vehicle, pedestrian or fixed object on or near the highway, or
    iv. making a left turn where,
    (A) the driver is stopped at an intersection controlled by a traffic control signal system in response to a circular red indication;
    (B) at least one vehicle facing the opposite direction is similarly stopped in response to a circular red indication; and
    (C) the driver executes the left turn immediately before or after the system shows only a circular green indication in both directions and in a manner that indicates an intention to complete or attempt to complete the left turn before the vehicle facing the opposite direction is able to proceed straight through the intersection in response to the circular green indication facing that vehicle. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 3.

... AND ...

PART X. 147.1 Any vehicle travelling upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at that time and place shall, where practicable, be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 147 (1).
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

actually it would work if all lanes are driving at 100km/h beside other cars in the other lanes so that the only way to move over is to speed up.