Power Wheelie (Sv650s) - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Wheelie (Sv650s)

Re: Power Wheelie (Sv650s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Depends on your difinition of stunting? If you mean new school slow parking lot stuff then yes youd want the newest 600SS you can afford...If you just mean some nice straight line wheelies on the street, then youd want a 1000SS.....As it doesnt take much skill and is very easy to wheelie a 1000 in a straight line.....

Case an point
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpcB8c_CyVA
    I definitely don't want to do what that guy on the video is doing, not yet.
    Ideally, in the distant future, I'd like to have 3 bikes, a track bike, a 600cc stunt bike, and a 1000cc streetbike.

I will stick to unexposed parking lots, the last thing I need is getting booked with the new law.

Corvette_C5_

03 eh, pretty much the same as the ninjas... is FI really this new to bikes? my insurance would laugh at me if I decided to get anything newer than a 2000

pretty much the best thing to do, is just buy a new 600ss and just practice the crap out of power wheelies until you can do them without worrying, than move to clutch wheelies... i know this may sound dumb too, but if you can, try your first few clutch wheelies on a grassy field. That way, if you dump your bike, the damage will be FAR less than if you dump it on concrete... and then once you learn, take it to the streets...
    RR

WOW!!! some of the WORST advice EVER.

you are ALL tools if you're telling him you can't wheelie and SV650 with just throttle. My 2002 SV650S would wheelie like a freaking champ! The carbed ones have way more than enough balls to do power wheelies all day. The carbed models are preferred for racing because you can get a fair amount MORE power out of them than the fuel injected models that started in 2003 because you can do things like throw on 39mm or 41mm flatslide carbs etc.

just roll on untill you're comfortable with where that low down lump of torque is on most of them around 4-5,000 RPM. Then try chopping on and off the throttle HARD and FAST...if you're waiting for the suspension to springback up to crack it you're waiting WAY too long.

Install an R6 throttle tube. The part number can be found on svrider.com and it will make wheelies much easier if you're learning.

an SV650 is WAY WAY faster than an EX500. The EX and SV's are in totally different leagues. An SV650 is a nice next bike after owning an EX500.
    Justin in Barrie...

Quote Originally Posted by pacmann33 View Post
    ...if you're waiting for the suspension to springback up to crack it you're waiting WAY too long.
    so riding along.. crank it, shut it off n CRANK it again? but without waiting for the suspension?.. hmm.. I guess I could try...I will eventually do clutch-wheelies but first I want to get very verrrrrrrry small power-wheelies a go just to get the slightest feeling of no front wheel on the ground =P

an SV650 is WAY WAY faster than an EX500. The EX and SV's are in totally different leagues. An SV650 is a nice next bike after owning an EX500.
    Relax there big guy. The 1999-2002 SV has 71hp, goes 0-60 mph in 3.76 sec, and has a top speed of ~215 km/h. While the 1994+ has 60 hp, goes 0-60 mph in 3.76 s, and has a top speed of ~205 km/h.
    From performance data above, the SV looks like it just costs more money on insurance for having an extra 150cc. Oh ya, and 2 rotors on the front wheel, instead of 1 in the EX500.

no, absolutely not, i dont know what that guy is saying, but on a less powered bike, you need to rely on the suspension to help you get that front end up... If you crank it, let off and crank again without waiting, the the suspension will be travelling downwards, and when you crank it while they are going downwards, you that force that could be utilized to help your wheelie... crank, wait for suspension to travel down, than when its at its lowest, crank that gas and up you go...
    RR

NO NO NO, you will be using the suspension to help you come back up, but if you wait for it to come back up and THEN crack the throttle it will be too late..any aid the springing back is already lost, ideally you'd nail it right when it bottoms out, then the power surges as the suspension travels back up...

and about the EX500 thing and the SV650 thing, I've ridden both, the numbers don't really show the difference, and SV650 at a 50km/h roll on will seriously STOMP on an EX500. They are also in two completely different leagues in the handling department, you can easily throw on some top notch suspension and tires on an otherwise stock SV650, and really rail at the track. The EX500 has tiny wheels, old school frame, and is not a very good platform for a racebike compared to an SV. I know there are MANY who have very nice EX500 trackbikes though, it just takes more work to get them there.

The EX500 is the SV of the 80's. A decade and a half of improvements, and an extra 150cc in an already more modern bike are vast improvements. If the SV were a 500 it would still be faster than an EX. Sorry folks, it's the truth.
    Justin in Barrie...

PS those performance numbers were done by different riders, on different days, with different measuring equipment etc etc etc. An SV650 is faster to 60mph, and in roll ons you'd murder any stock ex500, trust me.
    Justin in Barrie...

http://www.sportriders.com/2002_rides/050402.cfm

scroll down to the list of bikes. The EX500 pulled 43HP The SV pulled almost 66 HP, with the fuel injected ones never pulling less than 70 from ones I've seen in person.

that's about 23 HP difference on the same dyno on the same day. You clearly haven't ridden an SV650.

http://kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30804

This source claims 48-50 HP at the rear wheel for a new one, while new SV's are all around the 70-72 HP at the wheel...

peak EX500 torque is around 30 ft/lbs, SV650 is about 45 ft/lbs. My personal SV650 made almost 76HP and 47 ft lbs with full system and tuning. It was strong, and had alot of miles on her!

The EX500 is a great bike, just don't say it's anywhere near an SV650. I don't own an SV anymore, unfortunately I couldn't afford to keep it, but I will probably buy another one day, hopefully the exact one I sold. Try an SV, you'll wanna sell your EX.
    Last edited by pacmann33; 11-18-2007 at 04:50 PM.
    Justin in Barrie...

Corvette_C5_

haha, well im on my first bike, a 91 katana. it will wheelie if your really beating on it, but you destroy the fork seals when you come back down because the motor is all the way forward. i don't think i would go down in cc, and i really like the look of the sv's. i want the best of both worlds, and low on insureance. because an sv is classed as a sport tour, and from what im seeing here, that will be my next bike before my ninja. how do SV;s fair in slow speed clutch wheelies though? do you have to be doing 50+ do do power ons? i guess so eh

just by cracking the throttle, the front comes up easiest between if I remember right about 30-60 km/h

it will wheelie not far from where the clutch becomes fully engaged if you're just putting around, it is seriously more fun most everywhere than my GSXR, especially around town!

Get one, I'll sell the gixx one day but if I ever sink my claws into another SV, I'll probably keep it forever, even if it's a second bike.

EDIT***the first gen SV, at least mine would, pulls harder than the latest gen Katana 600. Katana 600 isn't as fast really anywhere from my experience, though I haven't ridden one, just ridden with them many times. 750 katanas pull the sv though fo sho!
    Last edited by pacmann33; 11-19-2007 at 07:59 PM.
    Justin in Barrie...

don't look at V-twins if you wanna stunt.. SV's = .

agreed, they WILL spin bearings if you 12 o'clock them for long. Many bikes have the same issue, including nearly ALL GSXR's as well. The difference is there are oil pickup kits for GSXR's as the oil pan can easily be removed. SV has no oil pan.
    Justin in Barrie...

agreed, they WILL spin bearings if you 12 o'clock them for long. Many bikes have the same issue, including nearly ALL GSXR's as well. The difference is there are oil pickup kits for GSXR's as the oil pan can easily be removed. SV has no oil pan.
    Different problem dude.......GSXR's crank bearings starve for oil because of the location of the oil pick-up.....SV's top cylinders starve for oil because in a wheelie they are almost upsidedown....The problem with the SV cant be fixed with a pickup because no matter what you do with the pickups, the top cylinder is still upside down in a high wheelie....

Corvette_C5_

well when i buy mine I'm not going to be 12'ing off the first ride.. I can't even make if a foot off the ground right. I'm just standing on the seat, throwing legs over the headlight and so on. I want a bike thats balanced enough and strong enough to pull the front end at least 2 feet off the ground.... newbie training right lol

you will ALWAYS spin Crank Mains on SV before any top end bearings go, sure they will starve for oil, but the crank bearings arfe the weak spot. Alot of track bikes also snap the crank on the SV as well, the crank is defly the weak spot. Twin Work Factory has dissected many of these SV's that have crank bearings go and cranks snap. The crank snaps on deceleration, rather than acceleration on built race engines. The main bearings have proven to be spun from oil starvation. I know that the top end is an issue on most every sport twin, and it would be on the SV too...if the crank bearings would last that long LOL.

Other than wheelies and "built" engines, it will be reliable up to 85 RWHP if done right. In general 80 RWHP is the max number you should shoot for and can be achieved very easily with only a few inexpensive mods, other than the flatslides which generally will cost 800-900$.

Don't stunt your V-twin, get an I-4 if you're a stunna.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Different problem dude.......GSXR's crank bearings starve for oil because of the location of the oil pick-up.....SV's top cylinders starve for oil because in a wheelie they are almost upsidedown....The problem with the SV cant be fixed with a pickup because no matter what you do with the pickups, the top cylinder is still upside down in a high wheelie....
    Justin in Barrie...

you will ALWAYS spin Crank Mains on SV before any top end bearings go, sure they will starve for oil, but the crank bearings arfe the weak spot. Alot of track bikes also snap the crank on the SV as well, the crank is defly the weak spot. Twin Work Factory has dissected many of these SV's that have crank bearings go and cranks snap. The crank snaps on deceleration, rather than acceleration on built race engines. The main bearings have proven to be spun from oil starvation. I know that the top end is an issue on most every sport twin, and it would be on the SV too...if the crank bearings would last that long LOL.

Other than wheelies and "built" engines, it will be reliable up to 85 RWHP if done right. In general 80 RWHP is the max number you should shoot for and can be achieved very easily with only a few inexpensive mods, other than the flatslides which generally will cost 800-900$.

Don't stunt your V-twin, get an I-4 if you're a stunna.
    Good advice. The second-generation fuel injected SVs do have a known issue with cranks breaking at the cam-chain gear on the flywheel end under racing conditions (not sure about street failures). This was due to Suzuki omitting crankshaft thrust washers during production. The manufacturing tolerances obviously weren't quite close enough and a small number of second-gen SV racers got unlucky.
    The first-gen bikes have a problem with main crank-bearing failures due to oil starvation. Below is a picture of the crank that came out of my last SV trackbike which had started to eat a bearing before I picked it up. Notice the scoring and the amount of material shaved off of the journal on the #1 side.

yikes! At least you have a nice boat anchor now!
    Justin in Barrie...

yikes! At least you have a nice boat anchor now!
    LOL! Yeah, I figure a stock SV crankshaft could hold a 30-footer steady.