How does an officer really check for insurance?

Thread: How does an officer really check for insurance?

How does an officer really check for insurance?

Guys, I have known of someone in the past who canceled their insurance policy after recieving the pink slip in the mail. They used the policy number and what not to get their sticker, plates etc...after everything, the policy was canceled.

Over the next one year in which the driver was pulled over on a few occasions, and they gave their insurance slip to the officer along with license etc. Officer came back, ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM...(keep in mind this happened on multiple occasions)

Does this go to show that other than a pink slip, THERE IS NO DATABASE THAT AN OFFICER CAN ACCESS AND CHECK WHETHER THERE IS A POLICY BACKING THE SLIP?

(This occured back in 2003/2004 period)

Also I recall back in 03'/04' when street racing was STARTING to get highly regulated there were some stories of officers calling in to the insurance companies to verify policies......another piece of evidence showing there is no electronic database for insurance records. Officers HAD TO call companies themselves for verification purposes.

The only history an officer can pull up is everything that is listed under the driver's license number.

Anyone have experience with this?

Is the "insurance verification" system still the same as 03/04'?

Thanks

Exclamation Re: How does an officer really check for insurance?

Yes back in the day you could drive around with fake insurance......i remember the fine was small and the cops could'nt check.....but yes then they started calling .....and now most police check the database......very hard to get away with fake slips now

Re: How does an officer really check for insurance?

It takes an officer about 30 seconds to check.

Each slip has a toll free number for after hours claims.

They call that "Is policy # XXXXXXXX , valid and current?"

Done.

Quote Originally Posted by 675Triple View Post
    Does this go to show that other than a pink slip, THERE IS NO DATABASE THAT AN OFFICER CAN ACCESS AND CHECK WHETHER THERE IS A POLICY BACKING THE SLIP?
    I assume you are referring to a centralized database for all the insurance companies ... Yes there is a one.
    Last edited by zeekat; 11-04-2007 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
    I assume you are referring to a centralized database for all the insurance companies ... Yes there is a one.
    ...and now all Metro cruisers have a internet connected laptop it is as simple as logging onto a website and inputting your numbers. They used to have to call in to get the dispatcher to check... not anymore.

Seems the cops aren't near as stupid as most people think!

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    ...and now all Metro cruisers have a internet connected laptop it is as simple as logging onto a website and inputting your numbers. They used to have to call in to get the dispatcher to check... not anymore.

Seems the cops aren't near as stupid as most people think!
    Nope, definitely not saying they're stupid or anything. They have their job to do, and I, as a sovereign individual, have my own interests to watch out for (I.e. not to take an a$$raping by the privately run insurance industry).

Thanks for the replies, does anyone else have input? Personal experience or know of others experiences?

I think you have your answer. Cops have computers & phones to help them to find if your slip is valid or not it is all a matter of if the cops looks it up.

Would you want to chance it if they already have your info with you pulled over?
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+

I work for a major insurer. Trust me, they call.

DeeCBR

what if some ******* cop pulls u over and ask for ur insurance and registration even though what he pulled u over was for something like too dark tint or exhaust too loud. when he calls in to check the insurance, wont the insurance companies know that this driver was pulled over and thus insurance will go up.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeCBR View Post
    what if some ******* cop pulls u over and ask for ur insurance and registration even though what he pulled u over was for something like too dark tint or exhaust too loud. when he calls in to check the insurance, wont the insurance companies know that this driver was pulled over and thus insurance will go up.
    Yes they will know.
    No it won't cause an increase in your policy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DeeCBR View Post
    ummm... if a cop pulls you over for excessive tint, then he is not being as ***** by asking for ins. & reg. it is standard practive fpr them to.