(CMG) Ontario to ban dirt bikes on road - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (CMG) Ontario to ban dirt bikes on road

Re: (CMG) Ontario to ban dirt bikes on road

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    But that is the thing you need an OEM stamped frame don't you? Like all those custom choppers with homemade frames I doubt you could plate those. But again I don't profess to be an expert so please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Frame was blank, when you order any OEM replacemnet frame from a dealer they come blank (no VIN). You cant even purchase a new VIN number if you wanted too, you would have to buy a whole new vechicle..

And the parts bike had a branded frame and VIN, so those numbers were un usable....The new numbers come up in the system as "home built" not Kawaisaki ZX10, and the VIN itself it totally differnt then any Kawi VIN ive ever seen....This bike was given a new "home built" VIN from the ministry....

Not everyone can pull this off, this person that did the homebuilt VIN was has an auto/motorcycle dealers LIC.....

Quote Originally Posted by wtf2 View Post
    Sharks bite people, gov's make pointless laws.
    Hey hey now... sharks are simply trying to stay alive.

The process to get a VIN for a new frame is actually pretty easy.

I've built a couple of Spondon streetfighter copies for the older GSXR 1100 oil cooled motors and plated both.

If your building the bike yourself and have purchased a new frame you need to have receipts, the approperiate registration forms from the dealer and a safety certificate.

If you have built the frame its even easier. Your need receipts for all the materials used in construction, approperiate forms from the ministry, a saftey certificate and thats about it.

I just stamped my own VIN on the frame.

It will be regestered as home built but (and remember this was about 5 years ago) I didn't have may problems getting insurance

Banned

the mto has really cracked down on home-built bike in ontario.

From what I understand, this amendment of policy is to handle increasing registrations of both pocket bikes and those cheap, Chinese-made dirt bikes. Guys were giving their mechanic a case of beer, getting a safety, and going on the road. Stupid and dangerous, for everybody. However, rather than force MTO employees to actually think, they simply made it so that if the vehicle was not mass manufactured for road use, yer screwed. We all pay (again) for the rampant idiocy of a few. I personally am so sick of pocket bikes for sale on all the classifieds boards, I'm tempted to just stomp on the next one I see.

Quote Originally Posted by tonymorgan View Post
    From what I understand, this amendment of policy is to handle increasing registrations of both pocket bikes and those cheap, Chinese-made dirt bikes. Guys were giving their mechanic a case of beer, getting a safety, and going on the road. Stupid and dangerous, for everybody. However, rather than force MTO employees to actually think, they simply made it so that if the vehicle was not mass manufactured for road use, yer screwed. We all pay (again) for the rampant idiocy of a few. I personally am so sick of pocket bikes for sale on all the classifieds boards, I'm tempted to just stomp on the next one I see.
    Once again there are things in place to already handle this... (not directed at you all all tony) WE DONT NEED MORE GODDAMN REGULATIONS...

If these mechanics are passing pocket bikes for a case of beer, then simply revoke their MTO certification

PS: You know you can't have a beer in a canoe or rubber raft? WTF is that **** all about? Utterly disgraceful. Make no wonder people pop their tops.