1982 GS650G questions

Thread: 1982 GS650G questions

teacherman

1982 GS650G questions

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1982 GS650G, and I had a question regarding the installation of air pod filters on the bike. Has anyone had any experience with air pods, and would anyone recommend/not recommend these?

Also, I seem to be having a problem with the #2 cylinder. #1 and #2 cylinders seem to running rich; I know this because everytime I take out the plugs, they are wet and black. #2 cylinder does not seem to be firing at all, and the exhaust pipe for this cylinder is cool when the bike is running. I have checked the stator, and swapped the ignition coils...everything is fine there. Also, my mileage is horrible! I'm getting maybe 100kms to a tank (approx. 14 litres to a fill).

I have had different theories on what could be happening. One person has said its my carb that is messed up, does it need to be rebuilt/cleaned/adjusted?

The other theory I am leaning to is that I have an ignition problem (which would explain my poor gas mileage and spark plugs not firing properly)....could it be an ignitor unit that needs replacing? At this point, I am not sure what to think. I have tried a million different things, and nothing seems to work.

Any help you can pass along would be appreciated!

Frustrated teacherman

Re: 1982 GS650G questions

Quote Originally Posted by teacherman View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I have a 1982 GS650G, and I had a question regarding the installation of air pod filters on the bike. Has anyone had any experience with air pods, and would anyone recommend/not recommend these?

Also, I seem to be having a problem with the #2 cylinder. #1 and #2 cylinders seem to running rich; I know this because everytime I take out the plugs, they are wet and black. #2 cylinder does not seem to be firing at all, and the exhaust pipe for this cylinder is cool when the bike is running. I have checked the stator, and swapped the ignition coils...everything is fine there. Also, my mileage is horrible! I'm getting maybe 100kms to a tank (approx. 14 litres to a fill).

I have had different theories on what could be happening. One person has said its my carb that is messed up, does it need to be rebuilt/cleaned/adjusted?

The other theory I am leaning to is that I have an ignition problem (which would explain my poor gas mileage and spark plugs not firing properly)....could it be an ignitor unit that needs replacing? At this point, I am not sure what to think. I have tried a million different things, and nothing seems to work.

Any help you can pass along would be appreciated!

Frustrated teacherman
    Is there spark on #2? Have you checked?
    Could be a carb problem flooding #2
    Could be a mechanical issue such as compression loss (various possible reasons)
    All engines require the same things to run
    #1 Air
    #2 Proper ratio fuel
    #3 Compession
    #4 Timed spark
    If one is missing the bike will not run (or in this case the #2) cylinder. Buying Pod filters is not changing the laws of physics. You need to methodically check for the above and rule things out one by one until the problem presents itself. If you need someone to have a look give me a shout I work cheap lighttwins@yahoo.com

teacherman

There is not much of a spark on #2, if any. Like I said, when i pull the plug when the bike is running, the engine does not react. I had the bike checked in May, compression was even across all 4 cylinders. I thought that it might be a carb problem, whether or not that is dur to flooding I am not sure.

I am not going to replace the air pods just yet, I just want the bike to run first, then I will look at those

Thanks for your help!

P.S. I am located in Brampton/Mississauga, I would appreciate any help.

Quote Originally Posted by teacherman View Post
    There is not much of a spark on #2, if any. Like I said, when i pull the plug when the bike is running, the engine does not react. I had the bike checked in May, compression was even across all 4 cylinders. I thought that it might be a carb problem, whether or not that is dur to flooding I am not sure.

I am not going to replace the air pods just yet, I just want the bike to run first, then I will look at those

Thanks for your help!

P.S. I am located in Brampton/Mississauga, I would appreciate any help.
    Pulling a plug wire is not a way to test spark. If the plug is fouled or any other reason it will not react either even with great spark. Seeing as #2 and #3 fire from the same coil that leads me to believe the spark is likely ok or you would have the same issue with #3.
    As for comp. Its good that they are all the same but are they all 120 or 150? Also May was 6 months ago.

Doesn't a GS have CV carbs?

If so pod filters are a great way to screw up carb tuning. CV carbs NEED an airbox to work right.

cv carbs can work just fine with pod filters if they are jetted for them
    just adding pod filters to a stock jetted bike will make it run like crap

You need to check the fuel level in each carb

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    Doesn't a GS have CV carbs?

If so pod filters are a great way to screw up carb tuning. CV carbs NEED an airbox to work right.