2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R rear suspension question.

Thread: 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R rear suspension question.

2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R rear suspension question.

I'm looking at http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/det...specifications
    specifically:

Rear Suspension / wheel travel Bottom-Link Uni-TrakŪ with 5-way adjustable preload / 5.1 in.

And I'm basically What does it all mean in laymen terms. How would you explain the above in detail to somebody who's new to all this (a.k.a. me). Thanks!

Re: 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R rear suspension question.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I'm looking at http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/det...specifications
    specifically:

Rear Suspension / wheel travel Bottom-Link Uni-TrakŪ with 5-way adjustable preload / 5.1 in.

And I'm basically What does it all mean in laymen terms. How would you explain the above in detail to somebody who's new to all this (a.k.a. me). Thanks!
    Bottom Link- means that the shock connects to the swingarm using a progressive rate linkage.
    5 way adjable preload- Means that there are five settings available to "preload" the shocks spring
    5.1" is the amount of available travel

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    Bottom Link- means that the shock connects to the swingarm using a progressive rate linkage.
    5 way adjable preload- Means that there are five settings available to "preload" the shocks spring
    5.1" is the amount of available travel
    Thanks for the answer. So for the preload adjustment, if I was to have somebody riding pillion, I'd change that setting as opposed to just me riding solo? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Thanks for the answer. So for the preload adjustment, if I was to have somebody riding pillion, I'd change that setting as opposed to just me riding solo? Thanks
    Technically yes however realisticly the shocks are junk. Especially that model which is bargin basenment and very light. It wont make much difference.

Lightness makes up for a lot of other deficiencies ... I know the suspension on my CBR 125 is not very good (too soft and totally non-adjustable, not even for preload), but the bike as a whole still works remarkably well because it's so light. I've got an adjustable shock on order for it anyway.