sick and tired of this crap. - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sick and tired of this crap.

Re: sick and tired of this crap.

The government won't make any money off speeders if no one speeds, so I highly doubt they would ever make governors mandatory. That's what this law is all about, money. By skipping the whole court process the government already makes a slick $2000 at least, per 50 over/street racing/ I'm just having a bad day charge.

Quote Originally Posted by STORMTRO0PER View Post
    Hang in there, bud, you're in for a long ride.
    you are sooooooooo right. it is going to be a long long ride!!

i dont mind obeying the speed limits.. its not killing me that i cant go more than the limit.... but its just not the best place to start.

**** i hate this city. i really ****ing do.

Quote Originally Posted by STORMTRO0PER View Post
    Anyway, i'm with you Anth, but you gotta tell me something - why do we have cars (anbd trucks and bikes and blah blah blah) that can exceed these legal speed limits in the first place?!?!??!
    I know it's a rhetorical question, but it's worth discussing.

Any party that will impose governors on cars at 120km/h would commit political suicide. Many new cars I've driven so far ARE limited, but at 170-180km/h. Nobody notices though because the speed is beyond what most people drive. These governors may be in place due to technical reasons, although I'm not buying it. A 2002 Honda Accord (auto) is limited but a 1994 Honda Accord (auto) is not?

Then there's the issue of fines. The new law mostly targets people speeding on the highway, and all the fine revenues would be lost. The same argument can be made about tobacco. If the government truly wanted people to quit smoking, they could make it illegal. But that would mean putting all tobacco farmers and manufacturers out of business AND they would have to give up around $1billion in revenue.

Such governors would also kill the auto manufacturers. Honda, Toyota and a few others actually make money selling small cars. But the domestic manufacturers are losing money (GM just lost $36billion last quarter) on them. Their only profits come from SUVs and large cars. But nobody will be able to justify buying a Hemi if it'll only go 120km/h.

And lastly, there's also a safety argument. Sometimes you need the extra speed to get out of a dangerous situation. Yes, it doesn't happen very often, but can the government assume the liability?

Quote Originally Posted by croco View Post
    I know it's a rhetorical question, but it's worth discussing.

Any party that will impose governors on cars at 120km/h would commit political suicide. Many new cars I've driven so far ARE limited, but at 170-180km/h. Nobody notices though because the speed is beyond what most people drive. These governors may be in place due to technical reasons, although I'm not buying it. A 2002 Honda Accord (auto) is limited but a 1994 Honda Accord (auto) is not?

Then there's the issue of fines. The new law mostly targets people speeding on the highway, and all the fine revenues would be lost. The same argument can be made about tobacco. If the government truly wanted people to quit smoking, they could make it illegal. But that would mean putting all tobacco farmers and manufacturers out of business AND they would have to give up around $1billion in revenue.

Such governors would also kill the auto manufacturers. Honda, Toyota and a few others actually make money selling small cars. But the domestic manufacturers are losing money (GM just lost $36billion last quarter) on them. Their only profits come from SUVs and large cars. But nobody will be able to justify buying a Hemi if it'll only go 120km/h.

And lastly, there's also a safety argument. Sometimes you need the extra speed to get out of a dangerous situation. Yes, it doesn't happen very often, but can the government assume the liability?
    i highly doubt you will get yourself an suv to go speeding in, they are unstable at high speeds and usually governor kicks in at speeds as low as 160. engine size has nothing to do with speed, it's how quick you can get up to speed. you can take a 1.6L honda up to 180 and have your 5L gm and it will still be governed at 180km/h.

governors at 160 or 180 if related to any political reason i would say it's so when you try to evade police your vehicle is not capable. another theory is they believe there are no reasons to be going faster then 160 on public roads. best way to get rid of bill 203...lets all drive properly so the goverment gets no income and has to drop it...no wait a minute they would just start giving bs tickets and when people start questioning that why not make 30km/h over limit stunt driving!
    A bike is like a girl friend - expensive and high maintanance but it's all worth the ride...

Sauga area, always up for a ride if i'm not busy. Drop me a pm...

Quote Originally Posted by croco View Post
    But nobody will be able to justify buying a Hemi if it'll only go 120km/h.
    Unless you are towing something (ie, you are a farmer or you have a large boat) I cant see how ANYONE could justify buying a gas chugging hemi.
    If you try to make it idiot-proof, someone will just make a better idiot....

Just like the regular speed limit and getting pulled over, you have to be doing well over the limit before you will be pulled over. Usually 20kms over. This takes the guess work out of maybe you thought you were doing the limit and your speedometer is off by a bit. I'm certain that for anyone to be prosecuted to the extent of this bill they would have to be in the range of at least 70kms over the limit. Let's face it, if you're doing 70kms over any speed limit, you're going too fast! Even if you don't have a speedometer, if flying by everything on the road, you know you're exceeding the speed limit.

This new bill doesn't frighten me at all, the thought that some cop is stick out his chest and arbitrarily take someones licence and car/bike just to prove a point is silly. That cop would be risking his career, pension and everything he owns. Not likely!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottman42 View Post
    Just like the regular speed limit and getting pulled over, you have to be doing well over the limit before you will be pulled over. Usually 20kms over. This takes the guess work out of maybe you thought you were doing the limit and your speedometer is off by a bit. I'm certain that for anyone to be prosecuted to the extent of this bill they would have to be in the range of at least 70kms over the limit. Let's face it, if you're doing 70kms over any speed limit, you're going too fast! Even if you don't have a speedometer, if flying by everything on the road, you know you're exceeding the speed limit.

This new bill doesn't frighten me at all, the thought that some cop is stick out his chest and arbitrarily take someones licence and car/bike just to prove a point is silly. That cop would be risking his career, pension and everything he owns. Not likely!
    You would be wrong there. As you would be going significantly over the limit already, they aren't going to give you a 20 Kmh grace range over and above that. At 50 kmh over, you're toast.

But as I've said many times in the past, and will no doubt have to repeat many more times in the future, the speed aspect of this law isn't the scary bit.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

No... stuff like this never happens, never...

How is he risking anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Mariusz View Post
    i highly doubt you will get yourself an suv to go speeding in, they are unstable at high speeds and usually governor kicks in at speeds as low as 160.
    have you ever seen a charokee srt8, ram srt10, trailblazer ss, ford lightning all of which will fly way above 200kmh and are stable. sure the consumer suv is a bucket of crappy parts but there are ones that are made to go fast.

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    have you ever seen a charokee srt8, ram srt10, trailblazer ss, ford lightning all of which will fly way above 200kmh and are stable. sure the consumer suv is a bucket of crappy parts but there are ones that are made to go fast.
    Sure..... until they have to turn.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

and who turns on the hwy? i was just saying there are big trucks made to go fast. i never said anything about turning.

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    and who turns on the hwy? i was just saying there are big trucks made to go fast. i never said anything about turning.
    Take one of them out and feel the body roll when you have to do an evasive swerve, or take an off-ramp.

i have take out a lightning and it performed better on an onramp then many cars i have driven. but im not going to argue its a dumb argument with no point just like most of the threads on this site arguments with no relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by anth1414 View Post
    these new laws, bills ect. are 100% ****ing ********.

they are so ****ing stupid and make no sense.

you want to go after people who drive 150 on the hiway.

but ....

you allow people to go 100 in a 60 zone
    you allow people to go 70 in a 40 zone
    you allow people to talk on their cell phones
    you allow the city to give incompitent people a licence
    you allow the city to not be regularly tested
    you allow the city to get away with crappy road conditions

i want to my view clear.....
    i DO NOT think that going after "speeding" is going to make the roads safer. there are other issues(mentioned above) that should be tackled first.

but....
    if you MUST go after "speeding" why dont you start with the school zones? the residential zones? the city zones? all the zones under 60km/hr.

are you telling me that it is safer to go 80 in a 40 zone...then it is to go 150 in a 100 zone.
    that is ****ing BULL ****.

and i blame the media too....
    they have been excellent at perpetuating this ******** "speeding blitz"

i paraphrase ... This morning a car ran into a gardrail on Hwy 401. Two people are dead. The speed of the vechile is not know, but it is believed the vechile was speeding.

WHAT THE **** IS THAT. GIVE ME A ****ING BREAK.
    if you don;t know the speed... then shut the **** about it until you know forsure. what ever happened to checking a source, proof, evidence before you put it in a paper.

this is soooo ****ing stupid....all of it.
    and i hope to GOD that someone has a question day..or a call in show..or something.... i will so be there ..

this has nothing to do with cars vs bikes anymore. this has everything to do with this stupid ****ing city and the way it operates.

going after "speeding" is the biggest cop out ever. and its ****ing ********.

end of rant.
    thanks for reading.
    preach on brother!
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

the new law is ****ing ridiculous. Instead of the police cracking down on drunk drivers/ gangsters/ gun problems etc (i can go on) they are putting all their money into getting more ******* cops on the streets who do one thing... ROB HONEST PEOPLE! They arent cracking down on crime, all they are doing is bringing in more revenue to their police force. Hmmm, we cant catch the murderers in toronto, so instead, lets catch honest people driving fast. Canada is turning more and more into a policing state, and soon, canada will probably be a living 1984. I dont know whats happening with this country, but its getting really ****ed up in terms of the street racing laws. The new law has to be fought somehow, because its crap, complete and utter crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko G View Post
    the new law is ****ing ridiculous. Instead of the police cracking down on drunk drivers/ gangsters/ gun problems etc (i can go on) they are putting all their money into getting more ******* cops on the streets who do one thing... ROB HONEST PEOPLE! They arent cracking down on crime, all they are doing is bringing in more revenue to their police force. Hmmm, we cant catch the murderers in toronto, so instead, lets catch honest people driving fast. Canada is turning more and more into a policing state, and soon, canada will probably be a living 1984. I dont know whats happening with this country, but its getting really ****ed up in terms of the street racing laws. The new law has to be fought somehow, because its crap, complete and utter crap.
    The fines go into general revenues, not the police budget.

Gh0sT

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    No... stuff like this never happens, never...

How is he risking anything?
    The cop isn't risking anything. It's your word against their's. They've essentially been licensed by the Province to generate revenue. Because with this piticular law, REMEMBER: You are GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT. No trial is required.

For the record, the cars that are limited at 160 or 180 km/hr ARE limited for a reason.

Look on the side of the tire, and you'll find the speed is governed by the tire rating. "H" rated tires are rated for sustained speeds up to 180, thus the cutoff.
    Buy a car with Z rated tires and they will go until the vehicle handling begins to deteriorate.
    Funny but true....

Quote Originally Posted by Team Lazy View Post
    For the record, the cars that are limited at 160 or 180 km/hr ARE limited for a reason.

Look on the side of the tire, and you'll find the speed is governed by the tire rating. "H" rated tires are rated for sustained speeds up to 180, thus the cutoff.
    Buy a car with Z rated tires and they will go until the vehicle handling begins to deteriorate.
    Funny but true....
    once again back to the limited speed on cars

even if the car is not locked it will not go that much faster until you change the computer chip and/or major parts, the gearbox is designed for everyday use not drag racing or top speed. most cars only have 240 on the speedometer and they will not reach that speed because the rev limiter will cut off redline before you get there in your last gear, so how much faster do you want to go?

sure even some pickups and suv's can be fairly stable at speed but compared to same price sports car you will see the difference, there is a reason for wide wheel base and low suspension on cars made to go fast. on the on ramp you are not doing enough speed for the wind/pot holes (usually there isn't as many as on the road) to show you how unstable the car is.

and to the comment where suv's and pickups will fly "way above 200km/h" i would like to see because most pickups don't even show that on the speedo not to talk about reaching it. don't get me wrong they are fast cars, but they were made to pull heavy weights not "fly on the highway", it's like saying a dirtbike is more stable then a streetbike...sure you can ride a dirtbike fast but i'll take a sportbike for that anyday - going offroad is another story.
    A bike is like a girl friend - expensive and high maintanance but it's all worth the ride...

Sauga area, always up for a ride if i'm not busy. Drop me a pm...

huh!! well you be very wrong about that there is no 20km grace to the law over 150km get caught and your done.And also have to disagree on your point on abitrary action against a motorist in fact thats what this new law is all about ,you can have your car/bike seized under the bill without any court tested evidence against you wright on wrong your ride is gone .My other point this is not justice we have a court system for a reason the police are a far from perfect service in any country including this one ,there has been a mountain of court tested evidence of police doing far even far worse things to the public than what we are discussing here,and had pay huge somes of money in lawsuits because of it.Bottom line the police are people and people are not perfect or always right another fact is there is very little supervision of their actions for day to day policing unless somebody is hurt or killed most other complaints are dissmissed if without proof too the claim ,and uh they know this!!!and have know problem using police powers and the law on people they don"t like why because they can! this is what makes this law so so unfair members of police have been doing wrong things to people right since the very first police agengy right up to this day thats why we have a charter of rights in Canada to protect the public,that said it has not worked 100% because there is holes in every system but take away even that away and now what . the Fantinos liberal goverments of this world want to run this country like a cansino the house aways wins.End point.