• 0 0%
Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: crazy chase

Now 15 New Law Threads Merged To 1

http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/261595

Sep 28, 2007 01:21 PM
    Curtis Rush
    Staff Reporter

Ontario's new street-racing law goes into effect on Saturday at midnight and OPP Sgt. Cam Woolley predicts "shock and awe" over the tough new provincial legislation. If a driver is caught going 50 kilometres over the speed limit, police have the power to impound the vehicle for seven days, issue a minimum $2,000 fine and suspend your driver's licence for seven days. And there is no right of appeal in the case of a suspension or impoundment, police say. Safety officials are upbeat about the new law.
    "This is going to be a good day for safety," Brian Patterson, president of the Ontario Safety League, said. What a difference a day will make for many.

On Saturday, before the legislation kicks in, if you are caught going 160 km/h in a 100 zone, you would receive a summons to appear in court and be on your way. A few hours later, when the legislation becomes law, that same offence will get your car impounded immediately "and you better get your bus pass out," according to Patterson. Woolley said police have been looking for "an immediate consequence" for some time.
    The way it is now, there are many court delays as well as plea bargains to get fines reduced and police felt somewhat handcuffed to mete out swift punishment and cut the carnage on the roads. "With this law, you will lose your car up front," Woolley said. "That will have a tremendous effect." The new law will be sweeping in breadth and is designed to catch everyone, not just teenage street racers, according to OPP Superintendent Bill Grodzinski.

He expects to see penalties handed out to everyone from teenage drivers to "your 50-year-old businessmen in suits driving really expensive vehicles, sometimes with their families in them." "This legislation is a pretty powerful tool," he said. Patterson with the Safety League agrees. "There are going to be some hot-rock racers upset and there will also be some upset BMW owners." This new law, ushered in after several street-racing incidents led to crashes that killed innocent people this past summer, is the toughest piece of highway legislation in the country, according to Grodzinski. "It came about because of the extraordinary carnage on our highways this past summer," he said. Julian Fantino, commissioner of the OPP, points out that the new law applies to unsafe lane changes, tailgating and not driving to suit the conditions, such as going over the speed limit in a snowstorm and risking lives. Infractions also include any kind of "stunt" driving, such as popping wheelies or doing "doughnuts" by spinning your vehicles. Also falling under the law will be motorists who cut off another vehicle.

Motorists who have no intention of street racing could still be snared in the same trap if they aren't paying attention to their speed as they come off the highway.

"If a motorist is coming off the 400-series highway at 100 kilometres an hour and hits an 80-zone and then goes through a small town with a 50-zone, they will be 50 over the limit and will get their car impounded," Woolley said.

Affected will be everyone from couriers making deliveries to people racing to get to the drycleaners before it closes. The upcoming Thanksgiving Day weekend will be a key barometer on how the new law will work, Woolley said. The safety league's Patterson said he expects at least 300 vehicles to be impounded on that holiday weekend alone — based on previous statistics. Police are warning people not to rush too fast to get to Thanksgiving Dinner. "If somebody is rushing up to Thunder Bay and they get their car impounded going through Powassan, we'll take their car and they may not get a bus to Thunder Bay until Tuesday," Woolley said.
    Cars will be impounded no matter if it's your vehicle or your employer's vehicle, police say. Woolley said that impound lots are being cleared to make room for an upswing in business. He said that last year, about 2,500 motorists were charged after being caught going 50 kilometres over the speed limit and the numbers are close to 5,000 when the other infractions covered under this law are factored in. "We're serious about this law and we consider this fair warning," Woolley said. Based on police accident reports, excessive speed contributes to more than 25 per cent of fatal crashes and close to 20 per cent of crashes with serious injuries, Fantino said.

Damn, seems a little excessive to me.
    Son, observe the time and fly from evil.
    Ecc.IV.23.

Re: New speeding law in effect Saturday

thats bull.... they're gonna start targetting certain cars....

i was driving to work today and was passed over and over again by SUV's and minivans all doing close to 150 if not more (north on the 404)...

Banned

Canada.... we're America's North Korea now. No appeals process. Just wonderful.

So they can take our cars or bikes away for just about anything according to that article. Following too close, changing lanes too quickly, going 101kmh when its snowing.... wow, just wow.

"It came about because of the extraordinary carnage on our highways this past summer,"
    Sensationalist GARBAGE. Yeah, some big CARNAGE it was.

Watch me pull over.

Maybe I should open a motel in Powassan. Could be a booming business opportunity.

when it goes in effect, there going to want to make examples of some people to show there not messing around, don't let that be us, ride smart

Let's not do anything and just let the government take it to us. We give up on any human rights when we break the law and should be punished severely. I vote to also introduce cutting shoplifters' hands, confiscate jaywalkers' shoes and socks, trespassers should be shot on sight and people who download mp3's should have their eardrums popped.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Its funny in my entire time driving/riding I have almost been hit on a daily basis around Toronto and yet speed wasn't the factor in any of those accidents/near accident. I bet if you compiled a list of the 'Carnage' on the 400 highways only a small number were the result of street racing or extreme speeding and the majority were cause by the little things that police seem to always turn a blind eye towards even doing it themselves like failure to check blindspots or signal or my pet peave when people make a right turn from the left lane (happened right in front of a speed trap too bad the officers were too busy tax collecting to enforce the laws)

Our goverment is blind to the real issues that cause the problems on the roads and it both saddens me and disgusts me. Not to mention not even touching on the 'modded car' or 'street racing' issues (which they are WAY out in left field on), but also in terms of driver education and speeding. It's retarded how they just make some commie laws up to "cover up" the issue and not deal with the root of it, ****in' pisses me off. I've driven on the autobahn for a couple of weeks at 200+km/h comfortably with NO issues with other drivers, yet here, ppl have trouble driving properly at 100km/h. Yes our roads are not made for 200+, but for the Gov. to pull this **** off is wrong. F'in speed is NOT the issue here....we can sit at 140km/h comfy on the 407 all day long without issue (be it in light traffic or not, wtf). It's idiotic driving and speed variation+unknowing drivers (of left lane/passing rules) that are the issue.

Gotta also love how they haev managed to keep the lowest speed limits in the industrialized world around here just to make more money, damn. If they set the limit at a realistic 120-130km/h (at least outside of the city!) and made stiff but fair fines fot speeders over that, THEN they would be on the right track. Not to mention having driving schools get newbs to learn how to merge/drive in the correct ways on the HWY let alone side streets. It's to bad how you will always get the punks on the road (could be 18 yr old in a civic or a 38 yr old in his SL55 or minivan mom!) that drive like F'in morons or cutting ppl off....so deal with it in a case by case basis, and not just group everyone together.
    ...vrooom

Gotta keep a tube of KY lube in the glove compartment now... never know when you might need it...

I come to realized that people will never be happy. I'm sure a lot of the people complained about the speeding law. Now that it changed they will still complain. Its pretty sad what people realized after a loved one gets killed, by a guy/gal who is doing 40 - 60km above the speed limit. There is no reason for someone to be going that fast.

Honestly if you are caught by the police going that fast don't cry about it. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Basic_Black View Post
    I come to realized that people will never be happy. I'm sure a lot of the people complained about the speeding law. Now that it changed they will still complain. Its pretty sad what people realized after a loved one gets killed, by a guy/gal who is doing 40 - 60km above the speed limit. There is no reason for someone to be going that fast.

Honestly if you are caught by the police going that fast don't cry about it. You have been warned.
    In some places they also warn you if you litter you will lose a hand. That doesn't make it right.

What makes me the most angry is that you have no chance for appeal, how is that not against the charter? I think that this law will be amended or scrapped after a few of these people get their cars impounded.

I wonder who's going to be the first one on the forum to lose their bike?

Any who if the cops start enforcing this in earnest (speeding minivans on the 401) there's going to be major pushback from the Joe public. We'll see how long it lasts.

Cops make mistakes with their radar and laser all the time and frankly enough of them have been caught on video betraying the publics trust that I dont think they should be given this on the spot power because they are going to abuse it.

Boo hoo, we can't go 50 over. Oh noes!

Pick your speeding times a bit more carefully, or take it to the track.

I go 50 over from time to time as well, and this won't affect me at all. Know the roads you speed on and know when the cops aren't there.

If you're going 50 over through a residential area, then you deserve any and all punishment this law entails.

Yeah, a lack of appeal is pretty lame-sauce, but driving a car is not a right. It's a privledge granted to you by passing basic skills requirements and following road rules.

The 50 over is just a part of it, there is a ton of other stuff in there that is downright wrong (making the HTA applicable to private property, for one). I don't condone excessive speeding, and I agree that anyone caught doing 50 over should receive a stiff penalty, but if you are doing 25-30 over on an empty road in the middle of no where, what's the big deal? You aren't putting anyone at risk, and you sure aren't being a menace to society. Read the link someone posted at the top of this page, it's an interesting, well thought out discussion. They even mention things I didn't think of, like if you win in court, it never states whether or not your license suspension will be taken off your record or if you will have financial reimbursement for days missed at work or impound fees.

Can you imagine if some cop doesn't like kids on sportbikes.. How can you defend yourself even if you were not doing the 50 over.. Lets say you were doing 40 over following traffic on any of the highways (Being real doing 40 over is not hard to see on the 401 or any highway). And I believe I read in that points .pdf a few posts ago they can impound your bike IF they suspect you were driving over 50 or stunting.
    Imagine some punk basts by you on the 401 and you get pulled over and your bike taken away because you were on a similar bike. (and the cop thinks its you) There will be nothing you can do about it...
    99 R1, SS Swing Arm, Mag rims, wolf undertail exaust... and more toys not going to mention.
    02 Gsxr 1000

Banned

I've been pulled over and charged with speeding while obeying the limit, no BS. If this happens again and they take my car and licence away there will be hell to pay... one way or another.

For those saying driving is a privilege blah blah blah... thats fine... suspend the licence for a week, but don't take my fking personal property away. They have no right to do that.

looks like i'll be trying to hit top speed on my bike tonight lol

If so many people are concerned about BILL 203 why dont we do something. I'm sure we could get the media's attention if 2000+ bikers / cagers protest. I remember some one suggesting this but could never find the post after that.

It would have to be well organized, but the fact that our charter of rights are being violated it would be a ligit reason to protest.

Just imagine how easy it would be for cops to expect bribes now, also imagine of the cop was just served divorce papers.... The thing is not just 50 over, its a loophole they created in the system to give the police more power.
    2006 SUZUKI GSXR750 (Blue/White)
    1999 SUZUKI SV-650 (Yellow)