How to winterize...video

Thread: How to winterize...video

How to winterize...video

here is a nice video showing how to step-by-step winterize your bike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZE5QgveVpU

Talking Re: How to winterize...video

Not bad but this vid is better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G77BXjI5mcc
    Bikes R what unite us, what kind should not matter!

Re: How to winterize...video

Cool video.

Wash, wax and Cover. Battery charger.

Now, everybody does things differently so feel free to comment.

Change the oil and filter. I never use cheap oil for storage. I just don't like putting anything crappy in my bike.

Inspect the bike for any rust. If there is rust take care of it before you store it as it will get worse over the winter. Never use WD40 on your bike as it will wear out other metals.

Remove the battery to charge in the house somewhere. Cold temp can damage the battery. If you're running an alarm, probably better to leave an old battery in the bike. Just make sure you bolt the seat back in for storage so that they can't get to the alarm.

Fill the tank to prevent any rusting. I use Seafoam as a stabilizer. It is a system cleaner so I run a full tank with Seafoam in it before storage. I tried other brands over the last 20 years and I like this best. If your bike is carbed (i.e. not FI) it needs to be emptied, cleaned and disconnected.

Put the bike up on stands if you have it. If you don't, put a piece of capet under the tires as insulation from the cold floor and move the bike once every two weeks to prevent flat spots.

Once stored, don't start your bike. You'll wear out the engine as well as create condensation in the engine. Some argue that starting you bike once in a while is better but if you do this in the winter, have a look at the oil level window and see if you see any fogging.

Block the exhaust, intake and any other open holes with a rag. Rodents might find your exhaust a nice home for the winter.

When you get itchy for your bike (we all do) do some work on it. Tighten the blots, clean and lube areas that you haven't had time to do in the summer. Add the mods you need to add. Change the tire? Change the brakes? New lights? New cables? If you use a K&N filter, clean and recharge? Add a gel insert for the seat? Change the pegs? New stickers? Mirrors? Pipes? There are lots of things you can do, especially if you receive parts for Christmas.

Salt is your enemy so keep your bike stored until all the salt is gone from the roads.

Re: How to winterize...video

Quote Originally Posted by ace6061 View Post
    Not bad but this vid is better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G77BXjI5mcc
    That's the one I meant to post but I copied the wrong link!

I was hoping to have my first 'sticky'