Finished! GSXR mirrors on a CBR

Thread: Finished! GSXR mirrors on a CBR

Finished! GSXR mirrors on a CBR

Well I finally did this mod! I bought a set of knock off GSXR mirrors from eBay at a reasonable price. $70 US for the pair.

When they arrived I knew that they were ONLY signal lights. Well I wanted running lights AND signal lights so apart they went. I REALLY hit some snags getting the mounting arms to work with the CBR. There was NO way they were mounting and actually being functional. I thought the project was done right at the end, but I figured out what to do.

I'll explain below.

Here is the stock bulb and socket from the new mirrors. Only two wires, because it is a signal light only.

Literally pull the bulb and the metal socket will pop out of the plastic container.

Bought a "socket" pigtail set. Note whether the base has an offset pattern or not for the nubs on the bulb

See the difference in the new and old socket. I pulled out my trusty dremmel and matched the plastic opening to the metal socket.

Now you have a socket for running and turn signal in the proper base for the new mirrors.

Use the existing two wires for the positive (running and signal) and added a ground.
    Cam
    DR.ZED
    09 Jetta clean diesel. M6
    07 Honda Shadow Spirit C2 VTX750C27
    85 BMW 325e - the race car

Re: Finished! GSXR mirrors on a CBR

DONE!

Note, I decided right at the end I was going to take a hammer to my stock mirrors and removed the "arm" from the stock CBR handle and then attached it with the hardware from the CBR arm to new mirror. Not a perfect match, but it was the ONLY way that the mirror will be remotely useful. The angle on the GSXR mounting is SO far off I was going to scratch the whole project there.

I must say I again am impressed with the made in Taiwan knock off light assemblies I've been purchasing. They're not nearly as bad or cheap as you'd think.
    Cam
    DR.ZED

very nicee

WOW! I've been planning to do this exact job this winter. And now that I crashed and broke my wrists two weeks ago, I have lots of time to figure out my winter projects.

Did the GSXR mirrors mount perfectly to the stock mirror locations? It looks very clean in yor pics.

Quote Originally Posted by jhakkim View Post
    WOW! I've been planning to do this exact job this winter. And now that I crashed and broke my wrists two weeks ago, I have lots of time to figure out my winter projects.

Did the GSXR mirrors mount perfectly to the stock mirror locations? It looks very clean in yor pics.
    Well... it is close. I am a damn perfectionist and hate a half a$$ed job. Saying that, lets just say when I was done it didn't bother me it was that close.

Considering the alternative, I was very happy. There is NO way the GSXR arms would have had ANY kind of functioning mirror OR really a turn signal. I can help walk you through it if you want.
    Cam
    DR.ZED

Hey,

Hey, can u calirfy how did u wired the mirrors to your exisitng turn singals so they can flash together.. Sorry i'm really bad at electrical. Do u hook it up to the wiring of the turnsingals behind the fiairng?

So you used your existing CBR Mirror arms and just used the Gixxers mirrors w/turn singals?
    I have the Gixxer mirrors also, but it has the arm and mirror together.

Quote Originally Posted by TRIGGA View Post
    Hey,

Hey, can u calirfy how did u wired the mirrors to your exisitng turn singals so they can flash together.. Sorry i'm really bad at electrical. Do u hook it up to the wiring of the turnsingals behind the fiairng?

So you used your existing CBR Mirror arms and just used the Gixxers mirrors w/turn singals?
    I have the Gixxer mirrors also, but it has the arm and mirror together.
    I used Honda arm and GSXR mirror.

I took the entire front clip off the bike and cut the end of the wiring that went to the stock turn signals and spliced it into the new mirror. You will have one extra wire for the running light if you do not modify your GSXR mirrors.
    Cam
    DR.ZED

Great, thanks for the claification.

Is there a pic from the dash view? I want to know how did u hide the wires in the dash. I know there is a piece of plastic to hide the mirror rivets, but isn't that piece of plastic gonna be tight to run and hide a couple of wires?

Quote Originally Posted by TRIGGA View Post
    Great, thanks for the claification.

Is there a pic from the dash view? I want to know how did u hide the wires in the dash. I know there is a piece of plastic to hide the mirror rivets, but isn't that piece of plastic gonna be tight to run and hide a couple of wires?
    Not at all. The wiring actually dives down below the plastic piece. If you were to remove the plastic panel you'd see the wiring run below.

I used some shrink wrap to hide the signal wires from the mirror and it runs along the arm. It doesn't look bad. I'll take a picture of that soon.
    Cam
    DR.ZED

Very nice mod, think I might have to follow suit on this one. Nice to see a new idea for the F4, since most current doable mods are getting old.
    Table's they turn sometimes....Payback is a you know what)...