bike lights/dash flashing

Thread: bike lights/dash flashing

bike lights/dash flashing

ok its an 01 gixxer has 25k on it and just lastnight i noticed for the 1st time, the light and speedo/rpm are flashing, like the battery is about to die, this happend lastnight on my way home on the 400, it flashed threwout the 40 min ride..

well this morning im going to work and i start the bike no problem, i look at the guage and light again and its still doing it, ok w./e i leave my street and as i come to a stop sign the rpm needle and the speedo werent responding like the battery was dying, i rev it to keep it runnning and the needle didnt move only untill i kept doing it and took off,

i mean i can ride it but it keeps flashing and its giving me the impression that its going to stall out and not start again, could it be the battery? or could it be the alternator? the battery did die out on me last week and i was boosting it and i didnt leave the cables on long enough and the same thing happend, except it went away for like 2 weeks now it seems the battery is acting up again, or something else electrical? im not sure if anyones had this happend chime in to help ? thanks!

Re: bike lights/dash flashing

loose connection to the lights?

lol u didnt even bother reading it eh? too long ok heres the short form, battery seems like its dying, could be alternator rpm needle isnt moving sometimes acting as if there is an electrical problem

this could be be either:

1. there is a short in the wiring box, check the fuse box because there is usually a spare in their...or

2. a faulty ground in wiring an aftermarket turn signals.

this happened to me on my k5 gsxr and also to XLO8RT(i think that his handle)
    Silly civic. Wings are for airplanes.

im gonna check the fuse box, but i think i found the problem, i took the seat off n checked the battery connections, they were all tight, but i just moved the battery around /cables n held it with it running, it stopped doing it, once i go over bumps it moves around and it starts flashing again, again over more bumps n it fixes, looks like something is loose

why so many electrical issues right now?

alright. it could be alot of things. you battery could be shot, your regulator could be shot, you could have a gound fault somewhere...or any number of other things.

first things first. are there any loose connections? what voltage is the battery readin when the bike it off? at idle? at 5k rpm?
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

yea i have to do all that soon, i dont have any time working all the time, but i do know that when i took the seat off and had the battery held a certain way/not moving it around i was revving it and letting it idle and i wasnt getting the issue anymore, this morning it happend again, another tihng to add ontop of this....when i was downtown lastnite i was going over this bump and it just shut off and i started it up again no problem, im almost 90% sure it has something to do with the battery or the connection

check the connections firt and make sure they are tight. its sounding more and more like thats your major issue here. the battery connections all loosen up over time with the vibrations a bike does. have to tighten them up every once in a while.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

ummm..loose connection?

yea loose ****in connection, all is good now, had me worried for a bit